New Roof Rack for Tacomas and FJCs

Box Rocket

I like the design. I'm a big fan of low profile racks and that one has some nice lines and matches the truck well. I think that the steel version could easily reduce some weight with fewer spreaders and get closer to 40lbs. If the first gen Tacomas had roof tracks for mounting, I'd consider one for my truck.

Box Rocket

It's not that different from the one I built for my truck using Front Runner rails. Mine was steel and I never really felt the weight. Personally I think the one you posted is a better design than what I had and also better looking. Price seems pretty reasonable too for what it is.

bat

Explorer
He needs to do something better for the spacers, something that will be one piece and sit in the track.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
The design and price are both nice. The spacers were something that caught my eye, as well. Curious how it would hold over time, rough roads, etc., etc.

zscott

Adventurer
I like the design. I'm a big fan of low profile racks and that one has some nice lines and matches the truck well. I think that the steel version could easily reduce some weight with fewer spreaders and get closer to 40lbs. If the first gen Tacomas had roof tracks for mounting, I'd consider one for my truck.

I actually had a guy that wanted round cross bars in order to attach some of his older yakima parts. His will have 3 cross bars that are rectangular and the rest will be round bars. This should cut down on the weight a little. I have wanted to make the jump to a lighter gauge steel for the cross members but am worried about the deflection under loads due to the proximity to the roof. What gauge steel have you used on the roof rack you had? And what were your thoughts with it?

zscott

Adventurer
He needs to do something better for the spacers, something that will be one piece and sit in the track.

Something I have thought about, I originally had a solid piece of flat bar that connected the rear and middle spacers but wasn't satisfied with it. I also wanted the smallest amount of rack touching the roof as possible to prevent damage. If I had the means to manufacture some type of molded plastic or rubber that would encase the spacers and fill the track, that would be ideal. Unfortunately my current shop (Garage/driveway) doesn't have that type of machinery.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
You've done a hell of a job with that design in your garage/driveway. Very, very impressed.

How do other racks (Baja, FR, etc.) mount without damaging the paint?

zscott

Adventurer
I was skeptic at the spacers at first too. I originally built the rack to test some of the design principles used on the front runner rack... (Spacers and Wind Deflector.) I think there is definitely a greater shear force on the bolts but I think the weakest part of the rack would be the weldnuts in the roof of the truck. Under super heavy loads I could see them coming out before the bolts actually broke. However, I think the five mounting points on each side help to distribute the load pretty well.

zscott

Adventurer
You've done a hell of a job with that design in your garage/driveway. Very, very impressed.

How do other racks (Baja, FR, etc.) mount without damaging the paint?

I have never seen either Baja or Front runner in person. The photos I have seen show that front runner uses a spacer system as well but I think that their spacers might be welded to the actual feet, I am not sure. Bajarack's old design actually rested on the truck and people had dents and other problems. Now I think it rests on the weather strip in the channel, I think.....

bat

Explorer
some type of molded plastic or rubber
You could look into a sheet of ABS plastic, it is easy to cut table saw and comes in different thickness. Make the block to fit in the channel and length of the mount and drill holes for metal inserts into the block for the mounting bolts.
It is a really clean design and good looking rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad