New Roof Rack for Tacomas and FJCs

zscott

Adventurer
Might as well ask about access cabs too- yep, I know it requires drilling the roof for threaded insert but I'm not worried about it.

I had someone on Tacomaworld ask about one. Shouldn't be too hard as London as you are willing to put some rivnuts in your roof to mount it.

woods247

Observer
Yes it does on all four corners. It bolts into the factory threaded holes. The kit comes with nifty little spikes that thread into the holes (finger tight) to mark the plastic channel for drilling.

Last edited:

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Yes it does on all four corners. It bolts into the factory threaded holes. The kit comes with nifty little spikes that thread into the holes (finger tight) to mark the plastic channel for drilling.

Interesting. Thank you for sharing

Sent via fat thumb

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
The full length rack I am building for a local FJ guy is priced at about $450 and that is completely assembled. For a drop in rack it would probably be significantly less expensive because the attachment to the factory rack would eliminate the need for the side rails that I am using in my current design. I definitely will have follow the threads on the FJ forum to see what people are wanting and hopefully I can turn it into a reality and help some people out.

Please bring us some and measurements and pictures when you are done. Looking forward to seeing it. Nice work so far.

zscott

Adventurer
Please bring us some and measurements and pictures when you are done. Looking forward to seeing it. Nice work so far.

Will do, I am waiting on one more component to arrive and then I will be taking it down to the buyer to help with install.

bat

Explorer
The Aluminum rack is soooooooooo nice but have some concerns, having the adjustability is nice but it opens up an area on the rack for potential failure. The inertia force put on the rack while offroading is in my opinion going to spread the slot open and which on turn will cause thing to come loose. I would make the slots in increments or drill holes to give the rack some better stability.

zscott

Adventurer
The Aluminum rack is soooooooooo nice but have some concerns, having the adjustability is nice but it opens up an area on the rack for potential failure. The inertia force put on the rack while offroading is in my opinion going to spread the slot open and which on turn will cause thing to come loose. I would make the slots in increments or drill holes to give the rack some better stability.

I had the same concerns when I picked up the initial pieces and had them modified accordingly. I also made the top part above the slots a little thicker to support more weight. There are some pics and diagrams showing what they look like now and a little discussion I had with some else regarding the same concern.

Whats to stop one from sayyyyyy taking that aluminum shell rack on the Tacoma flipping it upside down so the feet are now tabs, shortening the crossbars as needed and trying to use this as a drop-in rack for the FJ? Other than figuring a mounting solution for the tabs to the OEM FJ racks bars.

zscott

Adventurer
Whats to stop one from sayyyyyy taking that aluminum shell rack on the Tacoma flipping it upside down so the feet are now tabs, shortening the crossbars as needed and trying to use this as a drop-in rack for the FJ? Other than figuring a mounting solution for the tabs to the OEM FJ racks bars.

Nothing at all. I know somewhere someone had expressed interest in a drop in rack for the FJ. It is something I will probably look into with more detail in the future when time is more plentiful.

zscott

Adventurer
FJ Rack is finally here. I helped a local guy install the first one today. More to come on the development and production of this model.

Cytocycle

Observer
I have the front runner with a howling moon 1.6 stargazer on top.. pretty awesome combo. Plus the front runner has 600lb capacity using 6 mounting points. I considered the Baja but after seeing dented roofs I skipped that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad