New small Jeep SUV in 2013

3Deserts

Observer
That Panda is something I've been crying to see hit the US.

This supposed 2013 Jeep could be interesting.

What I'd like to see is a true 4x4 with hi/low gears in a small, compact package on a very solid chassis and/or frame, with a small, durable diesel or even better, turbo diesel engine, six speed manual transmission, good clearance, that does NOT weigh 4,000 lbs or more, and has overall dimensions more akin to a Suzuki Samurai or perhaps earlier Rav 4. Simple, manual windows and door locks and that kind of stuff would be neat too, but I'll settle for power everything if I have to. IS or solid axles, lockers or not, meet the basic criteria of small diesel true 4x4 with manual tranny, and all the rest is negotiable!

Not a week goes by that I don't pine for such a thing, and no one wants to deliver. Not even close.

HighFiveJosh

I could see a smaller wrangler style front end but with a little more curve, 2 door 5 seater with folding rear seats, clamshell rear door similar to the honda element, option for sun roof, and small FJ Cruiser style roof rac. 4WD gas and turbo diesel option and FWD hybrid (to please the tree huggers and to start taking the prius off of the road).

It would be great to have a small family jeep with great mpg and off road capability.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I had a chance to drive a Panda in Italy a few years back. As fast as a barge 0-60, but I loved it. Reminded me of the old Subaru Justy. Lots of room inside and a perfect commuter car for a northern climate.

I would be VERY happy to see a Jeep version in North America.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
My nephew has a Panda. Lots of Fiats in the family, actually.

Including my wife's...

FIATfirstmountaindrive010_crop2.jpg

I'd think about a Panda/Jeep.
But, then again, I'm a caroholic.

haven

Expedition Leader
The Chrysler plant in Toluca, Mexico, is expected to start building the next generation Panda mini-SUV in 2012. The Panda is based on the 500 chassis, which also is made in Toluca. It's not clear at this point whether Jeep will import the Panda 4x4. The Panda is a lot smaller than a Wrangler. The Panda 4x4 is shorter and lighter than the Suzuki Vitara.

One Fiat-based Jeep will be the replacement for the Compass and Patriot. This vehicle will use the US version of Fiat's C-Evo chassis. In Europe, this chassis is used to build the highly regarded Alfa Giulietta compact sedan. For USA, the C-Evo chassis will be widened, creating a chassis called the C-USW. (Italian cars are narrower than US vehicles.) The C-USW is available with AWD, so it's possible that some configuration of the new vehicle could earn that "Trail-Rated" designation.

The C-USW and longer D-USW chassis variants will be used as the basis for several Chrysler and Dodge sedans, too. I'm guessing that the next Jeep Liberty will be based on the D-USW chassis.

Scott Brady

Founder

Cool little car. I like those, though I think I would get a Mini first.

We are starting to get info about the next little Jeep.

I think in general, we are going to stop seeing NAS only vehicles and all brands will go to global platforms and powertrains. Euro 5 and EPA are so close now that it works.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Cool little car. I like those, though I think I would get a Mini first.
I would too :sombrero: ...

BillsMiniCooperS.jpg

wicks3.jpg

100_2603.jpg

The best thing about a MINI is that it's a BMW.
And the worst thing about MINI is that it's a BMW... ...hate the dealers, hate the cost of parts, hate other things but that's a long story.
I just hate BMW.

Frank

Explorer
The term Jeep is dead. Its now just another vehicle manufacture producing tree huger vehicles.

I remember when Jeep had two vehicles in a few models and options. -Wrangler and the Cherokee. You did not buy those vehicles for mpg and ride quality...you bought it because they were Jeeps.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The term Jeep is dead. Its now just another vehicle manufacture producing tree huger vehicles.

I remember when Jeep had two vehicles in a few models and options. -Wrangler and the Cherokee. You did not buy those vehicles for mpg and ride quality...you bought it because they were Jeeps.

Agreed, I get a kick out of "Jeep" owners who complain about the ride quality or noise of a lifted Jeep, what did they really think was going to happen??!!

ihatemybike

Explorer
I remember when Jeep had two vehicles in a few models and options. -Wrangler and the Cherokee.
You do? I can't seem to find this time in history.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Jeep_early_timeline
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Jeep_Car_Timeline

Shall we talk of Jeep's history where certain models never had or went years without a four wheel drive option starting back in the 1940s?

I personally don't mind the CUV models as long as they have an available package that can handle off highway use better than the competition. Let them be an introduction to the brand.

People dissed the Liberty when they first came out, but like every Jeep the aftermarket is picking up for them. People are often amazed by what ours is able to do. I've heard it called the a gateway Jeep as many people get them for daily driver, discover off roading, build them up, then move to Wranglers. (I've seen people move from Wranglers to Liberties too.)

I'd like to see Jeep enter the regular car market. The car would have to go head to head with Subaru and they should be racing WRC. Imagine Travis Pastrana flying around in a round eyed, seven slot grilled Jeep branded wagon!!
icon_super.gif

These CUVs and cars would help Jeep meet the CAFE Standards and allow the more capable models to retain their toughness.

Frank

Explorer
From 1994-2001 there was the wrangler and Cherokee...the regular Cherokee and the grand (a Cherokee in various models)

There is nothing jeep about a stupid fiat. What's next, a unibody f350?

Totally ludicrous to me to think that jeep will have a vehicle in the link and not a diesel wrangler, a vehicle consumers want.

---
- Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3