New Stove from Jetboil

AaronK

Explorer
Looks nice. Wonder how fast it sucks a propane bottle dry...

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
That looks great! As for propane use, it doesn't necessarily suck it fast. One of those burners are 10k BTU, and my MSR Reactor is also 10k BTU and that sips fuel. So I gather it might actually be better fuel-wise than, say, a Partner Steel stove, or a Coleman stove (some of it due to the cookware, of course).

leucadiacruiser

Beach N Toys Chapter TLCA
Funny you posted this up - I just saw the ad in the new Backpacker and then the review in the back. After 15 years and countless cups of coffee, my first gen Jetboil is about done so I'm in the market for a new setup. I like that this system lets you add the 'Luna Satellite Burner' that I can still use with my first gen pot daisy chained with the rest of the system. As they say in the magazine "You can cook a huge breakfast for six + people and make coffee at the same time." Not sure about 6, but definitely two. Backpacker is showing price at $350. Just got my REI dividend which will cover a little bit of that if I end up going this route.

Honu

lost on the mainland
thats very cool :)

only reason I usually use a larger pot is for boiling or for reheating chili or stew etc..
the satellite burner is awesome !! I use a small back pack setup now to heat the tea water

love my partner stove setup but was thinking at times I wish I could create a over night kit or quick kit that would be really small and compact but allow use of griddle and pot and this kinda fits the bill
I do wonder how it will do with a griddle ? if any issues hmmmmmmmm

one review on moosejaw
http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sh...p-2-Burner-System_10304823_10208_10000001_-1_

expensive yeah kinda but seems pretty nice one review said the simmer is really good the dials do 4 full turns so easy to simmer with

they have a large tank hose as a option for me would be a must have :)

Last edited:

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
You guys think the pots are worth it?

Yes! I have good experiences with Primus Eta pots and MSR Reactor pots. The heat exchanger is worth it as it protects the heat from the flame somewhat - not only making meals faster, but also with less fuel used.

wvtradbow

Observer
Saw the $350 price tag for the whole setup,I think the stove alone is around $240 ebay prices..I'm sure it's a good product,( love my jet boil) not sure I'd love it as much for $350

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Ya it's pricey... I would even consider it without my dividend and getting it from REI due to their return policy and 20% off right now.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I was thinking... I'll buy it, then I found the price on amazon...
$349.
I can't allow myself.

grogie

Like to Camp
PURCHASED!

I happend to buy the Genesis Base Camp last night. My wife and I were in a Cabela's and they happened to have one in stock. We had talked about this stove earlier in the week and she didn't flinch at the price so I picked it up. :)

For the last five years we've been using the Coleman "Perfectflow" Fold N Go. When I saw this Genesis online a couple weeks ago, it sounded that it was designed off of the Coleman and that Jetboil improved it. What we've liked about the Coleman was its size and that it folded in half. But what we didn't like about it was that it has only two settings being high flame and high flame! For example cooking on the Coleman, we tended to burn things before they finished cooking. Burgers were burned on the outside and the insides were under cooked, or the bottom of a pan fried pizza was burned before the cheese melted. A typical practice the wife and I have with the Coleman was to only use one of the two burners at a time and move the cooking pan randomly from the heat to the second burner to get the high heat off of the pan throughout the cooking process. The Coleman has no simmer!

The Coleman in action:

LO52nf.jpg

Right away on the box of the Genesis it notes, “Don't settle for one stove setting.” And that it has four flame settings. I can right away feel that in the control knob it has resistance for setting the flame.

The Genesis also has a slightly smaller foot print, and if you get the base camp, it comes with the two light weight pots (the frying pan is also ceramic coated with a light weight thick plastic lid) that are wrapped around the stove, in a nice carrying bag. To be fair, the Coleman also has a nice larger bag (separately sold) that has more pockets inside and even two outside slots for the small propane bottles, but again the Genesis is overall smaller and for us, space is always in issue. Also about the pans, typically we only use one pan for most meals, and with these two pans in the same bag, we'll no longer be carrying two heavy cast-iron pans. Theses will do it for us.

Another selling point with the Genesis is that you can connect other Jetboil burners to it to all run off of propane, which I've been looking at their coffee press.

It's also nice that it uses propane, as besides the small bottles, my trailer also has a 11# propane cylinder on the front that it will hook up to.

I have yet to actually turn it on, which I'll update this later when I do (all of my propane bottles are in my trailer that is currently in storage).

Pictures…

I included a coffee mug in this picture so you can get an idea of the size of the bag it comes in. It's really a small, compact design.

eX0WJz.jpg

Opening the bag and you see the ceramic coated frying pan with a really nice lid over it to protect it. I'll note that the lid fits both the frying pan and pot and also has holes on one side for draining.

q8EOCU.jpg

QEQFhb.jpg

Once the frying pan comes out, the stove is under it, inside the larger pan (I think I'll keep some paper towels between the two).

1ZHMOb.jpg

The stove will hook up to the propane, and then you can also chain a Jetboil satellite burner to it.

QfL5r1.jpg

5vz3WY.jpg

The construction is a notch above the Coleman. The grates are removable for cleaning, and a tighter fit/better design. As far as the propane use, I assume it will be similar to the Coleman which did not eat propane (and in fact with the Genesis having lower setting, it should lower the propane usage).

V6wYiT.jpg

H7U5oT.jpg

There are two black straps that keep the two sides together when packed up. Each side also has an easy to use igniter.

jlAguV.jpg

Inside the top of the bag has a place for the propane bottle connector.

y7TYZs.jpg

0f0VRi.jpg

Could I continue to be happy with the Coleman Fold N Go? Yes, if I didn't know about the Genesis, but the consent high flame that the Coleman has is its issue and has been our number one complaint. Sure the Genesis is not inexpensive, but so far the JetBoil Genesis looks like a winner and is everything that I wanted the Coleman to be.

The one/main issue that I've commonly read about the Coleman that this one will also have is that there are no wind guards. However whenever wind has a been an issue while cooking, I have just used the bag or whatever to block the wind. Plus, with this stove design, the large pot that comes with it, the pot actually sits around the grates so it does have more wind protection.

Hopefully we should now be done with buying stoves. And happy cooking in the bush... :chef:

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
cool keep us posted :)
one review said to use some padding between the stove and pots as they had there pots damaged ? so maybe some kinda padding could be in order :)

look forward to hearing how it boils water in that one pot and how the heat does for sure :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater