New Subie!

Laxaholic

Adventurer
The first problem over the summer was originally diagnosed as a ignition coil failure, eventually figured out that 2 spark plugs had broken inside the motor itself, luckily none of the pieces made it into the motor.

Now it's constantly throwing evap system codes, and the like....also continually resets itself. (ECU, which makes it idle low and cut out constantly)

Last edited:

cosmiccharlie

Explorer
Sounds like the previous owner liked to overtightnen things, including the plugs. Also, Evap code could be as simple as the gas cap not sealing properly. Any good independent shops in your area? You're getting hosed at the dealer.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
Unfortunately, no. I currently live in rural, south Georgia for university. Not many Subaru's around here, or shops able to check them out. If you don't have a truck around here....you're just a sissy of a man according to the local population. LOL.

jonnyquest

Adventurer
Laxaholic: People are going to think what they want. Let them. I do think you have a dependable vehicle. Best bet is to get a factory service manual, a code reader and learn how to do the work yourself. Or, if you have time constraints as a student, see if you can at least learn to diagnose the problems and do the little stuff yourself. Then pay for the work on the big stuff. Don't give up on your car. It's a good one.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
I actually fixed one of the summer issues myself. I got ahold of a code-reader, but just didn't have the time/patience to get after this latest issue myself. I'm not worried about what folks think around here, I'm headed for bigger places than rural, south Georgia. I was just jokingly pointing out the local mindset. I have been looking at a Honda Rebel to tinker with and ride the country roads. Not fast, but reliable and quiet.

Should have the Subaru back Friday.

Rosco862003

Adventurer
Sorry to hear you're having so many problems with the Subie, but I do know what you mean by computer controlled. Although it is a relatively simple machine, the throttle is electric and to me doesn't feel connected to the engine at all. I too also had problem after problem with my car that made me boil over and want to sell it. But if you can just hang in there I can say from personal experience that it's a good little car, that unfortunately is getting a bad wrap because the person who worked on it before might not have been the most competent mechanic. At the end of the day there comes a point when you get tired of shelling out money, but as someone who has been in the same position with the same car, I'm happy I still have mine after it's all said and done.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
Got the car back, running well again, but the AC does not blow cold unless car is in motion. Any way to fix this? Seems like idle is low.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
very low, around 500 maybe? I'll make sure to check what it is when I go somewhere later.

I checked, it is less than 500 rpm. Closer to 250-300rpm at idle. Should be more than that.

Last edited:

Rosco862003

Adventurer
This may help with the low idle http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f66/resetting-ecu-fixing-idle-dbw-engine-83004/ ..as far as the ac not blowing cold, couldn't tell ya.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
Just ordered heated seats for the Subaru. Car is running well again, got 420 miles out of the last tank.
I will post pictures once the seats are installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater