new tacoma and some questions

rovingowl

Observer
i recently bought an 07 tacoma to replace my '93 pickup. i chose the base model with the only options being the 4.0 v6/auto and a sliding rear window. i did this beause i don't care much for power windows/doors etc. i also can add an arb locker (if deemed necessary) and skid plates from the aftermarket for much less than the trd package.

this truck is my daily driver, and as a carpenter that does frame to finish i carry my fair share of tools on a regular basis. my plans are also for several long distance adventures, including a trip to alaska.

i'd like the truck to be as dependable and capable as possible while keeping the cost moderate. so far i've had the rear suspension tsb done, which i've have mixed feelings about. it's much better than the 3 leaf pack, but still seems to have limited load carrying abilities. my '93's springs were sagging badly but with the same load still never hit the bump stops on the same roads that the '07 does.

i've also added a leer 100r fiberglass cap for added lockable/weatherproof storage. no windoors as i didn't see them as necessary. i'm considering building a sleeping platform in the bed area come spring.

aside from that my plans are for 235/85/16 bfg a/t or cooper discoverer s/t's. i'm also considering switching to the factory black steel wheels used for spares. i like the look and want keep a narrower wheel (16x7) for the 235's. does anyone have any direct experience as to how the coopers wear in relation the bfgs? i've had 2 set's of bfgs on the '93 but firgured the coopers would give better deep snow traction living in northern vt.

i think i want to keep the suspension stock for now ($ and maintenance purposes) but later may upgrade to coilovers and dakars to handle more load and a beefier front bumper/winch.

other additions are the usual recovery stuff and kit for possible emergencies. hi-lift with winch acces., arb snatch strap, 2 ton more power puller, shovel, axe, plus first aid and emergency kit.

my.php

any suggestions for other upgrades?

Last edited:

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
Hi, I will make this my first post. I just came across from Toyotanation.

I would recommend adding the hellwig helper springs. They bolt on to the TSB four-leaf and are relatively inexpensive. When you upgrade to something better you can always sell them. Around 70-80$ I think.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225661&highlight=hellwig
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222041&highlight=hellwig

If not, I understand the firstone airbags to be great and I think they are about 245$ plus OBO, which would be a nice thing to have anyways, in case of ARB and for tires. (?)

Best of luck.
-Max

P.S. PICS PICS PICS :D

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Welcome

Welcome to ExPo... both of you!

I'd suggest the Old Man Emu stuff and the Dakar rear springs as a tried and true (and cost effective) way to significantly upgrade your truck. And tires of course.

Other than that you have a GREAT platform to build on that will go nearly anywhere in stock form. Mine has! :)

Hey guys,

Welcome to EXPO:wavey:

There are a bunch of us 05+ Tacoma owners here. If you want some great suggestions and ideas for mods check out TacoDocs 05 build. His thread is one of the most popular threads on this site. He is also full of great information that will most definitely help you at some point.

I have also used Overland Hadley's page for a lot of info too http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8350

Rovingowl it's great to see another Access cab join the flock! I have the Leer 100R also, but I do wish I had windoors, now that I have a rear swing out bumper on the truck.

I have also started a thread for my 07 truck that you can check out in my sig.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. The many great people here won't castrate you like on other sites.

Last edited:

viatierra

Explorer
Welcome!

I"m a big beleiver in your fundamental concept: suspension, tires & accessories. Keep it lean & mean (easy on the pocket book & weight too). Of course as time goes on, it gets hard to stick too.

I say go ahead and pop for the suspension, there are several great options. I think you be quite pleased once its on the truck.

How do you feel about adding sliders?

Oh, finally I think I speak for everyone when I say... Post a few pictures so we can admire your baby!

:Astrologist:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I'd probably just get the Toyota TSB springs and drive it. There are a million things people have done to their Tacos and I would want to flush out all the possible things before jumping head long into modifying a new truck. The 4-leaf springs that the dealer will put on should help with the sagging and then just drive it. I know what my progression of mods would be: ARB (or similar) front bumper, BFG ATs and a couple of inches of lift. That's about it other than a roof rack, mounts for shovel, ax, Hi-Lift. But if I had just bought a new Tacoma I would also have to wait about 10 years to afford all that stuff.

Attached a photo of his truck. Other than the big black fender flares (I'm not a fan of flares, just me I guess), I could really live with that truck. I mean, that's pretty much exactly what I'd buy in all honesty. Manual tranny, manual windows, manual door locks, yup. If I could still get a 4 cylinder, I might even do that...

Last edited:

rovingowl

Observer
thanks for the welcome and info fellas. just to be clear i have tsb springs installed. that rear doesn't sag really, it just doesn't seem as heavy duty as i was expecting. i keep going back and forth between buying a suspension or not. sliders will likely be in the future, and i like to swap out the front bumper eventually, so the suspension would definately be needed in the long run. for now i'm trying to prioritize the additions, and figure out if there's anything i'm missing in making a capable and dependable rig.

any help on posting my pics in the post as opposed to a link to imageshack?
thanks

rovingowl said:
thanks for the welcome and info fellas. just to be clear i have tsb springs installed. that rear doesn't sag really, it just doesn't seem as heavy duty as i was expecting. i keep going back and forth between buying a suspension or not. sliders will likely be in the future, and i like to swap out the front bumper eventually, so the suspension would definately be needed in the long run. for now i'm trying to prioritize the additions, and figure out if there's anything i'm missing in making a capable and dependable rig.

any help on posting my pics in the post as opposed to a link to imageshack?
thanks

A lot of people here, including me, use Photobucket. There is an IMG link you can copy and paste into your post and the image will appear in the post.

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
Wow, thanks guys! I didn't expect such a greeting. Much nicer than toyotanation or ttora. :jump:

I guess the problem I see with the Dakar, deaver, etc... springs is that most people report driveshaft vibes and have to upgrade to a TW custom shaft. In some cases even that doesn't work. I guess I'm just nervous, and don't have the money for all that. :peepwall:

-Max

Overland Hadley

on a journey
maxama10 said:
I guess the problem I see with the Dakar, deaver, etc... springs is that most people report driveshaft vibes and have to upgrade to a TW custom shaft. In some cases even that doesn't work. I guess I'm just nervous, and don't have the money for all that. :peepwall:

-Max

Has anybody here on Expo had problems with this?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Overland Hadley said:
Has anybody here on Expo had problems with this?

Not that I'm aware of... We've installed a handful of these lifts on 2nd gen Tacos, no vibrations that have been brought to my attention. I'm interested to know if they are installing the carrier bearing spacer (OME has a part for this). Also, how many miles on the trucks. Its not at all uncommon to get some vibs after a lift install on a higher mileage rig. Often, simply replacing the u-joints and having the shafts again balanced does the trick. My theory is that the u-joints "wear" at one phase angle all their lives and the newly introduced angle kicks out some vibration.

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
maxama10 said:
Wow, thanks guys! I didn't expect such a greeting. Much nicer than toyotanation or ttora. :jump:

-Max

Hmm, I have Camburg 2.5 in front and a custom Alcan 8 leaf pack in the rear and I have had Zero issues with vibrations. Actually, I think it feels better then when it was stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy

Members online