New tent lightweight and everything is replaceable -FeatherLyte Outdoors

dcameraman

Super curious what you all think of our new tent design
I would love your feedback! With my YouTube background and testing so many tents for different companies and realizing so many of them are simple rebrands of the same thing, when I had the opportunity to help design a new tent from the ground up I couldn't pass it up. We've been through countless prototypes and did our best to check all the boxes. The goal was to achieve the best balance of weight, serviceability, price, and material quality. I could go on about the details, but the main points i'd say arethat they're 86-112lbs and everything is replaceable. The parts that most companies rivet on, we bolted on. The cover slides off easy and the main tent fabric zips in for easy replacement. The goal was to make it a "buy once" tent. Prices from $899 to $1599. Size are 35, 50 and 56 inches wide and all three are 86 inches long. Trying hard not to sound salesy, that's never been my thing. I'm just super excited to be part of bringing something new to the market on the affordable and lightweight side of tents.

grizzlypath

Some very thoughtful features, I like it!

The biggest takeaway for me is that the vertical supports that need to be installed might be difficult since you have to reach up to the top to extend/engage them. Maybe standing on the top of the ladder or reaching from inside the tent out a window. With the struts and strut locks, are the supports necessary? I'm thinking due to the lightweight construction having stronger struts might cause damage, and without the supports the top might flex?

I think adding some native ability to still throw some solar panels or something on top could be beneficial since it's dead space, but I understand this is an "ultralight" RTT.

rgallant

Adventurer
Looks good but how waterproof is the underside, I am in the Pacific Northwest and rain is a pretty constant thing. I would not be removing the tent for most of the year

grizzlypath

Looks good but how waterproof is the underside, I am in the Pacific Northwest and rain is a pretty constant thing. I would not be removing the tent for most of the year
A buddy of mine lives in Sweden and has used a tent with an open bottom like this for many years. His area of Sweden is pretty dry, but still he finds he HAS to dry the tent out thoroughly before closing it up using a diesel heater. I live in the PNW and agree, I don't know if an open bottom tent would be an option for me personally, but it does significantly reduce weight and in the right climate can actually help with airing out/moisture.

XJLI

Adventurer
I like it a lot. I'm interested in these lightweight ones (GFC, IO, etc) to pull them on/off easier. I've had a softshell RTT, entertained a big boy hardshell but it doesn't make sense to keep a 175-200lb weight on top of my truck when it's my daily. I'd be only using them maybe 1 weekend a month for the summer season. If I can pop it on right after or even before work on a Friday, that is ideal.

The open bottom is a bit of a concern, but since it is so light I'd just air it out in the backyard or garage like a regular tent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC