new to forum

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hey Andrew,

ould i be right in saying that this looks to be qiute a substantial setup, if compared to say a patrol diff? any obvious reasons why they are so much tighter than most LSDs?

Anyone? NTSQD? I'm guessing there is a spring applying tension to the clutch pack that 's really tight. They even seem tighter on the NPS's . We've had the Isuzu's clicking loudly as you turn sharply on the bitumen and the dealer's answer has been to put a special oil additive in to free them up a little which I must say seems successful.

Haven't had time yet to have a close look at this one yet from an FG84. They are the same as the FG649 but the FG637 is definitely different. IIRC it's smaller. A friend has a couple of those on his bench and one 649 diff centre as well. Seem to remember there being quite a difference when I saw them all together. I never saw the optional NoSpin.

John.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I wonder of the front axle is simular to the montero?

Then the montero air locker could be adapted.

I heard that modifcation has possibly been done before? John?

Montero??? That's a Pajero right? Well anyway the FG front diff is supposed to be the same as the rear Pajero but the axles are different. Number of splines I think so it's not that simple. Never is , is it?

Amesz00

Adventurer
Montero??? That's a Pajero right? Well anyway the FG front diff is supposed to be the same as the rear Pajero but the axles are different. Number of splines I think so it's not that simple. Never is , is it?

hmm, could it be overly expensive to have custom axle shafts machined up? i mean, i know it would be expensive, but these guys are doing coil spring conversions on fusos... or would there be a strength difference between number of splines? and would a paj rear air locker be strong enough for the front of a fuso? i guess if mitsubishi uses it then it must be...

Amesz00

Adventurer
okay well after finally passing for my truck license i ended up driving it around all weekend. Initial thoughts of it still pulling excessivelly to the right may have been a bit unrealistic, as after said weekend driving it, including about 120km worth of freeway driving, i can now say that im quite happy with the way she drives. still wanders a little, but i think that can mostly be attributted to the aggresive tyres, and i understand that they will never track or drive as nicely as say a 285 with a mostly road-oriented tread.

the power output, however, will definetly have to be addressed. it cruises very nicely at around 100km/h, at 2600rpm. the max speed is now dictated by power, not rpm! Max's at 118km/h at 2850 (i think- it was about 98 on the speedo). so cruising is good, but acceleration is tiringly slow. ie to go from 100 to 118 took about 4km of foot flat down. admittedly there was a SLIGHT incline.
so, i am still waiting on my boost guage and controller, when they get here we will see what it puts out (boost pressure), then hopefully wind it up a bit. hopefully a side-affect of this will be actually being able to hear the turbo, as it sounds pretty raw with no muffler...
it will likely be next year when i do DPchip, also looking at dieselgas...

on suspension, i see there is a company that does parabolic leaf kits for leaf sprung cruisers (primarily the 60 and 75). i was wondering if there was a possibility of adapting these springs for a canter? obviously with an extra leaf or two, but they are a 'modular' kit...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner