New to me 2013 Xeterra!

flightmedicine

Hey y'all! So I bought this beauty today! Stumbled upon it while looking at Colorado's and it was too much of a steal not to get! 2013 Xterra Pro-4x with 19,500 miles.

I have looked on the forums and found some worthwhile upgrades include ARB locker, better under body armor, and OME suspension. Are there any other things that would really benefit this vehicle? I am probably going to get a rooftop tent as well.

I am relatively new to 4x4 as a whole, had an old FJ 10 years ago but since then have been mainly trying not kill myself with my track toys. Any advice is welcome for this newbie!

I can't wait to hit the trails around El Paso!

TIA
-Sam

bijanjames

Adventurer
Looks like you've got the fundamental upgrades figured out. If you're going to wheel it, the first upgrade needs to be a front skid plate, either from hefty or shrockworks. The front diff is extremely vurenable to damage. Other than that maybe some sliders and then enjoy your rig. The Xterra is very cable out of the box.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Congrats.

My best advice, live with it, figure out what bugs you, and mod to improve those issues.

The Xterra, especially the PRO-4X package, is one of only a handful of truly capable 4x4 platforms you can still buy almost new, and in all probability the best value for the money. At this point I am fairly certain the vehicle is far more capable than you are as a driver, no insult intended, it's just a very capable 4x4 in stock form. I would advise you to stay calm, I know the modification bug is strong, but keep it simple, and only get what you need.

One upgrade I recommend regardless is tires. Get good tires for your intended use. 5 of them, get a matching spare wheel if you can. Nissan likes to cheap out on replaceable items, so you more than likely have thin tires, and a battery that will crap out in 2 years.

As for upgrades, you are aware the PRO-4X already has a locking differential? Unless you just like spending money or need to own something that was made by ARB, I'd say you can mark that off the list.

Underbody protection is a plus, you do have stock skids but they are quite thin. However I've been living with mine, they are a little more streamlined than they were when new. I'd roll with them until you figure out how hard you intend to take it off pavement, thick skids are HEAVY so if you don't really need them, they will suck a lot of fuel. Sliders would be good, also heavy, again, I'd put them off until you find your adventures are being dampened by not having them. (as in needing to turn back....)

OME suspension, I've heard many great things and it's on my personal to do list. There are other options, as to what is best, I couldn't say. I like OME because it's modest and supposedly reliable, no great departure from stock.

A snorkel will change your life. It will turn you into a minor celebrity, make women swoon, and men envious. :snorkel: Okay, just kidding, totally frivolous purchase, all the same I got one and I'm tickled to death with it for the amusement factor alone watching people stare. It's nice insurance if I take a deep dunk not meaning to, and gets the intake out of the dust, but is it a need to have, absolutely not.

Have fun!

flightmedicine

Thanks yall! I definitely know the truck supersedes my capabilities as a driver right now, so no offense taken, everyone starts somewhere! I think for right now I'll focus on tent, front protection, the attention grabbing snorkel, and a better spare. The previous owner has new tires, ARB bumper, Warn winch, and from what I can tell a leveling kit. Hopefully the honey-do list is short tomorrow so I can possibly check out some easy trails with my buddies Frontier.

For some reason the forum won't let me upload pics, I will investigate...

jhberria

Adventurer
Pretty much what Airmapper said. I wouldn't invest in an ARB locker, as the stock E-Locker in the rear M226 differential is amazing, in my experience.

If you take a picture of the front suspension (what you say is a leveling kit), one of us should be able to tell you exactly what you've got going on and how/if you should upgrade.

I would definitely look into getting your hands on a good set of sliders. You won't know you need them until it's too late, and they're probably the most valuable piece of armor for this platform with our low-hanging rockers.

Welcome to the club! Look forward to seeing your build progress.

Happykamper

Explorer
Wow your going to love this rig. My advice is drive it take it off on some easy to mild forest service roads. See what you think. Decide what you are really going to do with it. Then ...do the same thing we all do have fun way over building .
Who knows someday I may want my jeep to climb Everest lol. Have fun and congrats

Kamauxx

Get the pics figured out and let us see what you got. You might have even more upgrades that you aren't aware of.

flightmedicine

The only problem I could really see is there appear to be some surface rust on the rear diff. Not sure if this is common on these bad boys.

diff.jpg
frontsusp.jpg
closeup.jpg
fullfront.jpg
rear.jpg

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Welcome to the struggle

The struggle to close your wallet there are sooooooo many things and directions you can go!!

Let me infect you with the big one, TITAN SWAP!!!!

Xterra nation and the new X will also have wealths of information. Same screen name there as here. See you on a trail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhberria

Adventurer
Looks great! Already off to a nice start. So yes, you've got a leveling/lift kit that consists of top-mount strut spacers (looks like a Ready Lift, I think). Not an awful setup, but not ideal. When you upgrade your suspension, you'll likely want to look into new coilovers which will both provide lift and better handle the additional weight up front of that ARB bumper and winch.

It also doesn't look like you have an add a leaf or new leaf packs in the rear, which is something else you might want to consider for the added lift and load bearing.

jhberria

Adventurer
Looks great! Already off to a nice start. So yes, you've got a leveling/lift kit that consists of top-mount strut spacers (looks like a Ready Lift, I think). Not an awful setup, but not ideal. When you upgrade your suspension, you'll likely want to look into new coilovers which will both provide lift and better handle the additional weight up front of that ARB bumper and winch.

It also doesn't look like you have an add a leaf or new leaf packs in the rear, which is something else you might want to consider for the added lift and load bearing.

.... And I just reread your original post about wanting to add OME suspension. That will accomplish all of what I listed above, just make sure you get the HD springs for the coilovers.

Kamauxx

The lift looks like it's from Rough Country. Might cause some CBC at slow speeds over bumps.

The rust = excuse to get an ARB diff cover. And might as well knock out the all important diff breather mod while you're under there (if the previous owner didn't do it already).

What kind of winch is in it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven