New (to me) Samurai

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
What an amazing trip. The Zuk performed excellently. It was uncomfortable, dusty and loud for nearly 200 miles, the vast majority of which was dirt.
IMG_0125 by Tim, on Flickr
The trailer did well, however there are a list of things that need to change. But i was impressed considering it was thrown together out of scrap. Thus giving the trailer the name Scrappy.

The scenery was beautiful. The company was encouraging.
IMG_0148 by Tim, on Flickr

The only mechanical problems we had was a couple flats... same tire, same vehicle. The first repair didn't survive, so we weren't stuck.

IMG_0210 by Tim, on Flickr

IMG_0218 by Tim, on Flickr

IMG_0249 by Tim, on Flickr

It was great getting out to see the hidden little corners of the Flint Hills. There is an amazing amount of beauty that so many people see as boring as they fly by on the interstate.

The photo album... https://flic.kr/s/aHskesiLRg

In the mean time, i have a list of things to address before heading back to Disney in November, maybe another exploration trip when things cool down so sleeping outdoors isn't such a chore.

Funny thing, regardless of how long, hot, dusty and uncomfortable the road was, i didn't once think of trading the Zuk out for the Tahoe on this trip. Sure the leather seats and air conditioning would have been great at times. It was an adventure. Taking the Zuk just made it more genuine.

Last edited:

Dake21

Adventurer
Nice, I'm jealous :) Nice trip and nice rig. Convertible samurai are awesome.

Last edited:

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Thanks. It was a lot of fun. I'm totally looking forward to the next trip!

Hmmm... where shall we go?

I have to give props and thanks to a couple of groups who contributed greatly in making this trip happen. The Kansas Backroads Touring group is the source of a good part of the route, especially the Coyne Creek route that was phenomenal.

I also want to give cudos to the makers of GPS Essentials app for Android. It's a great and free app with updated, downloadable maps that can be run without cell or data service. While it can be a bit clunky to operate at times, it served it's purpose well and got us all into and out of the Flint Hills safely. Did I mention it was free? Free is good.

Most of all thanks to my awesome wife for supporting my need to get away from life on occasion!

nonohmic

Just noticed you said it was spring over axle when you bought it. I'm interested because I see a lot of them with this done (e.g., https://clovis.craigslist.org/cto/5156188557.html). But I've always been reluctant to buy with that kind of work done to it.

Were you looking for this in particular? What are the main cons to having it done as opposed to starting with stock or lifted suspension?

And what did you have to look for, cause this stuff is mostly done by the owner right, so quality varies a lot. From what I understand.

Cheers in advance!

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
TripLeader here's a link to the route, and a bunch of other map related info. The course is called CORA FH, the layer can be found near the bottom of the list.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zz4Vhh0LqcLM.kbz4JsDGZ6Ds&hl=en&usp=sharing

As always, with an exploration route, you must be flexible. There was some deviation because at one point the road disappeared. That fell at a convenient time near the end of the second day and we hit the black top in search of facilities.

All CORA exploration routes will be on the same map, so expect it to change over the coming months as new adventures are planned. If anyone is interested in the KML file for these routes, shoot me your email via IM and I'll gladly hook you up. I'm currently working on a couple other routes, taking what we learned over the last 2 small trips and fine tuning. Our club is all very new to exploration, most of us with a rock crawling background.

nonohmic - Spring over is not the kiss of death. I've been familiar with this particular vehicle since it was stock, as well as where most of the custom parts came from & who did the work. So this is not a typical situation

Any modified vehicle will have their issues in addition to the regular issues of a used vehicle. Regardless of how well the work was done, you'll always find yourself cursing out the previous owner for one stupid thing after another. (Gotta be careful with this one since I bought mine from my dad). I'm currently dealing with some wiring issues because of how the brake lights were set up.

That all being said, It's a toy. It has to be reliable because of what you do with it. So, in my case, i bought something with issues (most of them known) and have worked to make it a reliable adventure vehicle. It will fail, it will tick me off beyond words, and I'll have a blast every time I drive it.

One more thing about buying modified rigs... take a good close look for abuse. Most people modify their rigs to take them where they weren't intended to go. Springs and bushings wear out faster, drive line angles get extreme, u joints &bearings take a beating, and you may even run into frame issues. But then it's all for fun, and working on your vehicle to fix some of those issues will help you in the long run, because you will know the quirks of what you're driving. That will help you on the trail when issues come up.

Hope all that rambling helps.

The_Jayhawker

Observer
Must...do... this...route.. I`m in Wamego and will be heading south towards Fredonia in October for a weekend get together with my school friends. Think this looks like a great excuse to leave a day early!

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
WOO HOO!!! Took the first step in doing a "Big Block Swap" and traded an old winch for a 1.6 8v!
Good thing too, cuz that leaky old 1.3 is getting tired.

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
On another note... the last trip an issue with my brake lights came up and I've been working on re-wiring them. At one point a custom rear bumper was built using oval grommet style LED trailer lights. Basically a 2 bulb system vs the stock 3 bulb system. So when troubleshooting the issue I ran into some interesting wiring. A trailer converter was used, but only for the brake lights and other parts were kind of hacked into the system. So I pulled it all out and started from scratch. I replaced the converter (which was bad) with a new one, built a harness just for the bumper, added a tag light, and replaced the trailer plug wire. I soldered all connections to ensure good conductivity and sealed it up. Last night I tested the new setup and it all works like a charm. Tonight I will be cleaning up and re-painting the rear bumper before putting it all back together.

Good thing too, because I haven't driven it since my trip a few weeks back and the top doesn't come off my Tahoe.

Sorry, no pictures, but then wiring isn't all that exciting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater