New to site...early bronco driver!

Fish

Adventurer
I have a '74 that I've owned since '89 or something like that. Alas, for most of that time it's been a secondary project which has sat in my driveway while my trucks take precedence.

toddz69

Explorer
IMG_7794.jpg

Here's a cross-section of Early Broncos parked outside my home in Phoenix a few months ago. The vintage race Bronco is the Bill Stroppe-built Bronco that won the 1969 Mexican 1000 overall - driven by Larry Minor and Rod Hall. It's the only 4WD vehicle in the 43 year year history of the Mexican/Baja 1000 to accomplish that feat. It still loves Baja - winning its class in the 2010 NORRA 1000 last year. It's currently painted in '72 Mexican 1000 livery. I co-own this Bronco with my good friend, Andrew Norton.

Behind it is Andrew's '72 Stroppe-prepped "kit Baja Bronco" with a relatively rare Four Wheel Campers pop-up camper on it. This Bronco went through Stroppe's shop in '72 and received nearly all the accessories that Stroppe put on his Baja Broncos minus the red/white/blue paint job. Andrew and his wife Flannery use their truck for mild expedition/overland-style travels and even traveled in it on their honeymoon 2 years ago.

Behind it is my '69 Bronco - my "driver" for trail runs, some extended traveling, race support and going to the hardware store and to buy ice cream :). Been in the family 30 years with nearly 320K miles and still going strong.

Todd Z.

Last edited:

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
Nice EBs. I had a 1970 new in 1970. Sold it in 1976 after using it to commute to college and start the first job. It spent a lot of time on the dunes of Cape Cod. Suffered from the salt water too. It was a wagon with 302 3 speed, drum brakes, manual steering, bench seat with metal panel behind the bench, and single fuel tank. It was "Carmel Bronze Metallic" a lot like the first poster's color. VIN was U15GLH20539. I sold it in Dothan Alabama. I would love to have another EB but do not have the time to care for one. That EB was part of the wife selection process. Dust, dirt, off-road, top on/off - she stuck around. Honeymooned in the Bronco to Green and White Mountains. Still same wife after 37 years.

Enjoy yours.

laker

Todd...there is some impressive history going on there with your Broncos!!!
That camper rigged unit is a sight to behold..LOVE IT!! Had my unit out today on a shed antler hunt.........we did well.

100_0104.jpg

100_0102.jpg

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Dang Todd, for a minute there I thought I died and gone to heaven. Very nice view from your house,:drool: better than watching Stacy David/Trucks on a big screen.

toddz69

Explorer
Todd...there is some impressive history going on there with your Broncos!!!
That camper rigged unit is a sight to behold..LOVE IT!! Had my unit out today on a shed antler hunt.........we did well.

Great shots! Antler hunting must be a lot of fun - that's something I've never done. And your truck is very cool-looking too. Very sano and tasteful mods.

Todd Z.

TKSC01

Adventurer
My NEw HEro

IMG_7794.jpg

Here's a cross-section of Early Broncos parked outside my home in Phoenix a few months ago. The vintage race Bronco is the Bill Stroppe-built Bronco that won the 1969 Mexican 1000 overall - driven by Larry Minor and Rod Hall. It's the only 4WD vehicle in the 43 year year history of the Mexican/Baja 1000 to accomplish that feat. It still loves Baja - winning its class in the 2010 NORRA 1000 last year. It's currently painted in '72 Mexican 1000 livery. I co-own this Bronco with my good friend, Andrew Norton.

Behind it is Andrew's '72 Stroppe-prepped "kit Baja Bronco" with a relatively rare Four Wheel Campers pop-up camper on it. This Bronco went through Stroppe's shop in '72 and received nearly all the accessories that Stroppe put on his Baja Broncos minus the red/white/blue paint job. Andrew and his wife Flannery use their truck for mild expedition/overland-style travels and even traveled in it on their honeymoon 2 years ago.

Behind it is my '69 Bronco - my "driver" for trail runs, some extended traveling, race support and going to the hardware store and to buy ice cream :). Been in the family 30 years with nearly 320K miles and still going strong.

Todd Z.

OK Todd-YOUR MY NEW HERO! Man the Bronco history is amazing AND YOU ARE IN AZ! Your living my cream life buddy boy! AND you have more Broncos then me.....UGH! Some guys got it all! I have two fullsize broncs right now a 94 and 96, but an early Bronco is in my near future AND I need to MOVE BACK to MESA! I miss home bad! I hope to see you out at Four PEaks or the Apache Trail some day!

RU55ELL

Explorer
This thread makes me so jealous of you guys and your EBs!

I must ask the owners though, I have heard that they are just as big of a money pit as a Jeep. Is this true? I have a line on one for cheap but don't know if I want to pull the trigger yet.

toddz69

Explorer
This thread makes me so jealous of you guys and your EBs!

I must ask the owners though, I have heard that they are just as big of a money pit as a Jeep. Is this true? I have a line on one for cheap but don't know if I want to pull the trigger yet.

They're only as big a $$ pit as you let them be. And it helps if you can amortize the ownership/upgrade costs over a lot of years :). Since the newest example is now 34 years old, there are going to be costs associated with owning one but thankfully parts for them are, for the most part, relatively inexpensive.

Discounting fuel/insurance costs, annual ownership costs for me are fairly low. It's the constant upgrading/changing/re-engineering that costs me all the $$.

Todd Z.

RU55ELL

Explorer
I wasn't sure if the parts were starting to become scarce due to age. Maybe that is only for sheetmetal though.

This is the body style that I am looking at getting.

image_10797f.jpg

willtel

Observer
I wasn't sure if the parts were starting to become scarce due to age. Maybe that is only for sheetmetal though.

This is the body style that I am looking at getting.

image_10797f.jpg

Not at all. Short of a few pieces you can build a new Bronco from scratch starting with nothing but a credit card.

The one in your picture is a half-cab, all Broncos are basically the same, only the tops differ. So you could buy a wagon version and add a half-cab top without much work.

Lars70

Observer
Broncos can be fine expedition rigs. Just depends on what compromises are acceptable to you. Mine serves me well. One of these days I'd like to get an Autohome Columbus for the sheer luxury, but I don't mind sleeping on the ground. A few pix...

The Bronco on the right should look familiar. It's in one of the previously posted photos.

1167170832_XoKQx-L.jpg

Central Nevada, from some trips I've taken:

675366664_JjpWP-L-1.jpg

675389164_nGGoF-L-1.jpg

675395023_QgHY4-L-1.jpg

824945208_tAckR-L-3.jpg

824945421_yDuAD-L-3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk