New Trailer Build Thread

Jerkeejoe

Here’s the beginnings of the electrical setup and my diagrams.

The shown parts will all go into the two pack out boxes. Batteries on bottom and the rest of the mobile components in the top box. The extension cord from the solar and the fuse box will connect via Anderson connectors on the exterior of the box. The batteries in the bottom box will be connected to the controller in the same manner.

2k watt inverter hasn’t arrived yet, so I’m not yet certain how/where I’ll mount it.

I welcome any suggestions or criticism!

94EB2B6E-6DC6-4240-9E59-0B1FC445EABC.jpeg

E948076B-857B-4E36-9243-3A364AF1E0AD.jpeg

9F1872CE-333D-434A-8DE3-9CD71668861D.jpeg

1526163A-6B9E-471D-A833-DFE8586FE8B0.jpeg

1E0C6F48-7959-4274-8ABA-17787DE9E057.jpeg

EFB7B35A-1886-4113-942D-16C9350F0471.jpeg

8AD9D8B2-52E1-4E26-A9B9-2D946B650F94.jpeg

Jerkeejoe

Just dropped off for line X coating. Pick it up in a week (I had to take it to St. George for the coating, so I won’t be able to come get it until next Friday.)

767A42C9-4B96-49DD-84BD-49E5A6EF443C.jpeg

Mr. T

Will you be adding an awning to your setup. I made my awning brackets for my setup and I see you have the skill to make a great looking trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_0920.JPG
    IMG_0920.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0916.JPG
    IMG_0916.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0914.JPG
    IMG_0914.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 96

Hoologan

This is great! I'm currently weighing building a similar setup vs. buying a Smittybilt Scout, and I'll be towing it with a Tundra! Sub'd for sure.

How much do you have wrapped up in material for this so far (not including the trial and error with the wheels)?

Well done!

Jerkeejoe

This is great! I'm currently weighing building a similar setup vs. buying a Smittybilt Scout, and I'll be towing it with a Tundra! Sub'd for sure.

How much do you have wrapped up in material for this so far (not including the trial and error with the wheels)?

Well done!

Thanks! I’m like $4500 into it I think. You could certainly save a ton of time going the prebuilt route, but I had a blast building this thing. My day job is as a lawyer, and I swear one of the things I looked forward to everyday was getting home to get some work done on the trailer. The other benefit is that I got to build it exactly the way I wanted. The trailer tires roll in the exact same track as my truck, the wheels and tires are interchangeable with the truck, I configured the doors exactly how I wanted, etc.

I’m already thinking of building another one, but much bigger to serve as a toy hauler.

Jerkeejoe

Will you be adding an awning to your setup. I made my awning brackets for my setup and I see you have the skill to make a great looking trailer.

Yours looks great. I actually already have an awning sitting in my garage waiting for install. I went with the Overland Pros Wraptor 2000 since the price was amazing. Hopefully it holds up. I think I have the brackets figured out. I’m using perforated telescoping square tube and will mount the telescoping tube to the same steel rack as the tent.

The Line-X dealer was delayed a few days on the trailer, so I will be picking it up early Wednesday morning. Gave me time to change the oil and air filters on my truck. :)

Jerkeejoe

First look with Line-x done. Dennis at Red Desert off-road in St. George did a fantastic job. I’ll get more detailed pics later. Realistically, it’s ready to use right now, but it will get black corner trim and black hardware in the next few days. A bunch of exterior accessories still to come also.

DE2A6AC4-2DDE-4D62-B413-C48736A18003.jpeg

Hoologan

Thanks! I’m like $4500 into it I think. You could certainly save a ton of time going the prebuilt route, but I had a blast building this thing. My day job is as a lawyer, and I swear one of the things I looked forward to everyday was getting home to get some work done on the trailer. The other benefit is that I got to build it exactly the way I wanted. The trailer tires roll in the exact same track as my truck, the wheels and tires are interchangeable with the truck, I configured the doors exactly how I wanted, etc.

I’m already thinking of building another one, but much bigger to serve as a toy hauler.

Interesting, thanks. Total cost so far is a bit more than I expected. I would love nothing more to build mine but I travel for work each week and have a 3 y/o at home so it would probably take me a year+ to build lol. Still researching....

Jerkeejoe

Interesting, thanks. Total cost so far is a bit more than I expected. I would love nothing more to build mine but I travel for work each week and have a 3 y/o at home so it would probably take me a year+ to build lol. Still researching....

I've definitely not gone the low cost route. The wheels and tires were almost $1k, Timbren instead of axle, lock-n-roll hitch, line-x instead of paint, heavy duty drawer slides for cooler, etc...

ITTOG

How did you handle sealing the roof? Did you weld the sheet metal on the top the entire length of the edge?

Jerkeejoe

How did you handle sealing the roof? Did you weld the sheet metal on the top the entire length of the edge?

No. Just tacked it every foot or so. But the line-x guys caulked it before they sprayed it and I’m also going to add aluminum corner trim with a heavy bead of silicone on all corners of the trailer. Plus the roof sheet overlaps the entire 2 inches of the frame on all sides, so between the overlap, line-x caulking, line-x coating, trim, and silicone, this thing is ridiculously weatherproof.

ITTOG

Yes that looks nice. I bought a brand new trailer a week ago and it is leaking badly. Structure the trailer is perfect. Now to decide if I want to return it or fix it myself so I know it won't leak, ever. IMG_20180929_104616.jpegIMG_20180921_183343.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333

Members online