Newbie AWD Astro Overlander Build

nobodyhome

Adventurer
Thanks, you have a way better bracket, believe me! You can still do the jeep bumper mod if you wanna, that bracket will actually work better.

P.Z.

Absolutely magic. I don't know what's better, the bumper or the video. Well done sir... well done indeed!

nobodyhome

Adventurer
8b22a9aea80147c9de93babe4e49934bd3a80eaf71c2ca71e1d591f60c713ee9.jpg

nobodyhome

Adventurer
High time we had an update here... not much, but it did take all day!

I looked at my carpet... didn't like the way it looked back at me...

20160910_131435_zpspcojkzcd.jpg

Bye Carpet!

Took a trip to the Home Cheapo, bought some Reflectix and did this...

20160910_140838_zpsqb52i2wa.jpg

While at the HomeCheapo, I found real wood flooring on clearance, so I dropped a whopping $10 and brought some home... then did this....

20160910_172428_zpsqu7jaoif.jpg

Popped in a cool seat from TK421, looks good...Hmmmm.... what should I do with this left over cardboard.... hmmmm... CAD!

20160910_175916_zpsdxtznvgi.jpg

20160910_175952_zpstvmfpbxm.jpg

Think I'll try to build a cabinet, with help this time. We need a place for our essentials, like a mini-fridge for frosty beverages, and of course a crapper.

nobodyhome

Adventurer
@Bruce- No kidding, it was so easy even I could do it!

@Strover- WHUTUP! Thanks for checking in. I got a roll of the 48" wide stock and still need to do the roof. By the looks of things, it should just barely be enough. I wanted to cut window panels too, but will have to get another roll.
As for the cardboard cabinet... that's Gen-u-ine AMERICAN made cardboard... it'll last at LEAST til the end of the day, tell you WHUUT!

Seriously, I am making mock ups for the cabinets, Westy inspired design actually. Levi over at diycamperkits.com is working on a pre-fab kit for us Asatrofarians that we've been kicking around for about a month now. He will cut, pre-drill and ship kits to whomever wants one with a full set of plans to put it all together. Good quality stuff, I've seen his work, uses cabinet ply, not that MDF or particle crap. Don't have a price yet, well under a grand I'm thinking, probably depends on who orders one.

I'll post up on that project soon. I am making him an electronic data center for his Jeep... woot woooot!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Levi over at diycamperkits.com is working on a pre-fab kit for us Asatrofarians that we've been kicking around for about a month now. He will cut, pre-drill and ship kits to whomever wants one with a full set of plans to put it all together. Good quality stuff, I've seen his work, uses cabinet ply, not that MDF or particle crap. Don't have a price yet, well under a grand I'm thinking, probably depends on who orders one.

That's got my attention!

Snowgeek135

Observer
Going back a little to the post on the bumper ..... if you are trying to ditch the mommy van thing I think pulling the cladding off the sides helps a ton as well!

It is a lot of work but really changes the look of the van.

Ryan

nobodyhome

Adventurer
Hey thanks Ryan, I agree it would, and help with all that tire rub too. I painted mine with about 4 coats of bed liner, really tired everything together appearance wise, especially the Jeep bumper. The other benefit is that now the cladding works like armor, protects from brush and minor rock impacts, since I do significant wheeling in it. It's held up surprisingly well with rock scrapes, worst case so far was I had to shoot some more rattle can bed liner in a spot and you can't even tell.

BTW did you do the transfer case swap yet? I'm real curious to hear which route you take, JOR manual kit, push button, something else. Thanks again for all the inspirations!

nobodyhome

Adventurer
Found a great deal at Cabela's on this rod rack via a friend on a different site. Full rack with a 2 foot extension for $160 delivered! SCORE
20160925_155016_zpsewwp8ell.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk