No ATV section?

Michael Slade

Untitled
I am borrowing a Suzuki KingQuad from my dad for a while and want to read up on it. I think it needs some TLC for sure, as it wouldn't start today.

Is there an ExPo for ATV's?

absolute

Adventurer
If I remember correctly...There was one at one time! I just looked again and I didn't see anything.

Scott Brady

Founder
There was an accident with hunter Dan a long time ago... It just never felt right to have ATV discussions on the board since ;)

Michael Slade

Untitled
expeditionswest said:
There was an accident with hunter Dan a long time ago... It just never felt right to have ATV discussions on the board since ;)

Gotcha.

I got the dang thing started tonight out in the COLD!!! Got it into the garage and am charging the battery. I'm sure this will be a learning experience tearing into it. All this in the name of being able to plow my snow instead of shovel and break my back. Ugh.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
expeditionswest said:

I think his last words were something about hold that and watch this. He will be missed.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Don't miss it.

In GA the bad egg ATV riders are the biggest single blame for the loss of 3 of our OHV friendly areas. Off trail ventures in to Wilderness and WM areas, Ghost trails, etc all lead to their closure and the majority of the problems and problem areas sited by the FS for the closure were all ATV width.

The majority of the "responsible riders" I have come in contact with are also 4wd drivers that are affiliated with 4wd clubs. The majority of rest have almost all been yahoo's with no ethics, "I can do anything I want" attitudes and a 6pack in the cooler that I end up picking up the empties from.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
expeditionswest said:
There was an accident with hunter Dan a long time ago...

:xxrotflma

Jonathan has never been the same since his old pal took that wrong turn up the wash....

JJackson

Explorer
Grim Reaper said:
Don't miss it.

In GA the bad egg ATV riders are the biggest single blame for the loss of 3 of our OHV friendly areas. Off trail ventures in to Wilderness and WM areas, Ghost trails, etc all lead to their closure and the majority of the problems and problem areas sited by the FS for the closure were all ATV width.

The majority of the "responsible riders" I have come in contact with are also 4wd drivers that are affiliated with 4wd clubs. The majority of rest have almost all been yahoo's with no ethics, "I can do anything I want" attitudes and a 6pack in the cooler that I end up picking up the empties from.

I have seen both groups being blamed, in the last article I read most of the stories where more about yahoo's on dirt bikes than atvs. I think the yahoo's in each group are to blame. I am a responsible atv rider who sticks to areas such as OHV areas and designated trails and roads. I have seen a few illegal dirt bike tracks and single tracks in the forest than trails created by atvs. Though I have seen the lazy shed hunter crowd drive around a meadow like it was a parking lot. Not trying to start anything but we all know that both groups have there yahoos that cause the problems.

I do agree that the riders that are also 4wd enthusiast appear to be more responsible as they have seen more trail closures and have been better educated about responsible wheeling. We all need to work on this together.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
goodtimes said:
:xxrotflma

Jonathan has never been the same since his old pal took that wrong turn up the wash....

Are you guys referring to Hunter Dan the action figure or was there a real Hunter Dan around here that passed away?

Dave

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
MoGas said:
Are you guys referring to Hunter Dan the action figure or was there a real Hunter Dan around here that passed away?

Dave

You may call him an action figure, but he sure was real to us. :hehe:

jammyauto

Adventurer
I'm sure that all the "dirt" bikes used for overland expedition by forum members are street legal. I can see a legitimate use of ATVs for expedition use for disabled folks to get to remote places. I'd say that over 99% of ATV use is just to go riding which is different. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with riding an ATV per say it just seems to me like a streach to have it in this forum. Then again that is just my opinion. I personally don't like ATV's. I'd rather walk and enjoy the (quiet) world around me.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
jammyauto said:
I'm sure that all the "dirt" bikes used for overland expedition by forum members are street legal. I can see a legitimate use of ATVs for expedition use for disabled folks to get to remote places. I'd say that over 99% of ATV use is just to go riding which is different. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with riding an ATV per say it just seems to me like a streach to have it in this forum. Then again that is just my opinion. I personally don't like ATV's. I'd rather walk and enjoy the (quiet) world around me.

Offhand, I'd say that 99% of my "dirt bike" use is also "just to go riding". And I seriously doubt that all the dirt bikes owned by forum members are street legal. Does a street-legal bike cause less environmental damage?

I ride both dirt bikes and a quad. Both have their place in off-highway exploration; neither is "better" than the other, just different. It's the bad apples riding either one that cause us all problems. THEY need to be reported to the authorities. It ain't the machine's fault!

But yes, after a long drive in that diesel van, I can understand needing some "quiet". (Sorry - couldn't help myself! I'm just jealous; my van is gas.)

jammyauto

Adventurer
Offhand, I'd say that 99% of my "dirt bike" use is also "just to go riding". And I seriously doubt that all the dirt bikes owned by forum members are street legal. Does a street-legal bike cause less environmental damage?

What I meant was that street legal bikes are most likley used more as a vehicle for a "complete" expedition. Like leaving your home on the bike and riding on the road and off road as your expedition may require.

Taking a bike on a trailer to a remote area to ride is different IMHO. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with that it just seems like a slightly different activity than the spirit of overland expedition.

I fully enjoy and partake in several activities that can be damaging to the environment such as wakeboarding and rockcrawling but I don't see that those activities have a section here either.

But yes, after a long drive in that diesel van, I can understand needing some "quiet". (Sorry - couldn't help myself! I'm just jealous; my van is gas.)
Your right about that. I've seen so much more wildlife on foot or even in my VW than in the SMB. Not gonna sneak up on anybody!

Since I don't own a motorcycle (or ATV) of any sort I think I'll butt out of here now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk