No love for Montero's...

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Here's the nut of it w/ the mid 90's SR Montero's (94-97 & 98-00 w/ the 3.5L engines).

Want to run 33's? Just put them on. IT WILL HANDLE IT. Want to run 35's? A body lift and you can put them on. IT WILL HANDLE IT.

Locker Problems? Very, very rare. After a decade of being involved with them, the number of "Help! My locker doesn't work" post I've seen can be counted on one hand (only a couple that i can recall).

4x4 system problems? Almost all (95%) are simply related to the indicator servo not working. 4x4 still engages. The rig still runs fine off road.

In terms of their off road ranking... only reason they're not on most buyers list or supported online is because Mitsu rarely if ever advertised it as an off road vehicle. Maybe once or twice they've shown an ad with them off road. Otherwise they've primarily targeted the soccer mom segment of the market.

However step back and take a look at the ROW, there's a reason they're heavily used & very highly regarded. Because they're extremely capable and reliable... and most especially in countries where paved highways are optional.

100% agreed on your last point. Mitsu failed because they didn't understand the American market and as a result their marketing sucked balls. Even with LR's quality and reliability issues they knew how to use their camel trophy success and heritage to capture the hearts of prospective customers. Jeep has always enjoyed a similar mystique that comes with inventing the market. Lets face it... Until the Rubicon came out Jeeps were built, not bought. And I don't mean just throwing on a set of 35s the way you can with Montero's. Do that and you'll snap the wimply dana 35 axles that came with all the wranglers prior to the dawn of the Rubicon edition Wranglers.

Ultimately LR, Jeep, and Toyota have all found a way to engage & capture the American 4x4 owner's hearts. Mitsu Motors marketing has NEVER figured out how to do that with their 4x4's and as a result their sales have suffered. FWIW, they have been able to do it with their sports cars and it's obvious based on Lancer EVO numbers and following as illustrated at their annual MOD (Mitsu Owner Day) events.

red87

Adventurer
Mitsubishi really did drop the ball here in the states. I would say the montero is every bit as good as the equivalent year 4runner but the lack of aftermarket really does let it down. Cyi5 and I wheel together a lot and I'm jealous of all the options he has for parts.

The 4x4 system problems you had can usually be fixed by using it. I'm not being a smartass here, it's true. If you don't cycle the system every now and again, the grease on the actuators gums up and keeps it from engaging. So to fix it you just cycle it a bunch.

Every vehicle on expo has its own list of known issues (some longer than others) but every other make on here has had enough marketing that those faults get overlooked. Jeeps (until recently) have tiny little axles. Land rovers have terrible electronics. Toyota had the 3.0 motor. Nissan had weak steering (until recently). I'm sure we can go on and on here but I think you get the point.

GrassCat

Adventurer
I've test driven a few, and all of them had issues with the 4x4/locker system.

Thanks to statements like this is why we can buy an off-road vehicle for a reasonable price, install some 33's and go do the Rubicon.

By the way in all my years of owing one I've never had a problem with the 4x4 system. One must understand how the system works before test driving. :)

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Thanks to statements like this is why we can buy an off-road vehicle for a reasonable price, install some 33's and go do the Rubicon.

By the way in all my years of owing one I've never had a problem with the 4x4 system. One must understand how the system works before test driving. :)

Guy, guys no offense intended. NOT trying to brand bash. I'm stating reasons why Montero's don't get more love from the casual buyer just looking for a 4wd (rather than an enthusiast), not reasons they aren't worthy vehicles.

I'm well aware that the system MAY have been working in one form or another, but not only were the dash lights blinking but all three rigs I test drove were very slow to go into 4wd, and also would not disengage from 4wd, no matter what I did, using both the schematic in the vehicle, or using write-ups pulled up on my wife's iPhone. Also, I was able to test two SR models a couple days from each other, and drive each one to a lot with a steep driveway that when taken at an angle flexed the suspension. Neither locker prevented wheelspin in the downhill rear wheel, though the button was engaged and the truck was in 4Lo.

To be fair my dad's fj80 had the same issues, and it ended up being solonoid issues, which were replaced for a fair amount of money. And also to be fair, all 6 jeeps I've owned over the years who's systems are 100 mechanical in nature, have never, ever had any issues.

Do montero's have better ergonomics and comfort and safety records than jeeps? Of course, jeeps get spanked in the arena, but along those same lines, I'd say a Montero is NOT more comfortable than a fj80/fj100/ or 4runner, and with such strong dealer network, active community, and big pocket advert campaign, it's fairly easy to see how Montero's didn't stack up, even though they offered a similar, and in some ways superior product.

So, honestly, grasscat instead of personally attacking my understanding of a Montero 4wd system, maybe you could step back and take a breath and understand that I'm trying to offer an objective look at why Montero's are under appreciated to extent that Mitsubishi doesn't produce them anymore for the states.

GrassCat

Adventurer
Sorry if I offended you, was not my intent, but for me it's hard to believe and I'll leave it at that.

You are welcome to test drive my rig and I'm sure many in your area would welcome you to do the same.

I'm not saying the Montero is any better or worse the any other vehicle. What I'm saying is you get a lot of truck for your money.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
What I'm reading here is simply a lack of knowledge about the Montero.

The 4wd indicator servos are a common problem due to them Never being cycled. This is actually good news because as frequently as these fail, the actual central axle disconnect system for the front axle rarely fails so in 95% or greater of the cases, 4wd still works even though those lights are flashing.

Im just as much a LC fan as anyone else but when putting my money on the line, im happier to buy a Montero over a land cruiser for most all my 4x4 needs since most features are comparable with a few exceptions...
- the Montero will be significantly cheaper (my 96 was only $1350)
- the Montero will have significantly better gas mileage (my partially armored up Monty with 35's gets about the same mileage as a stock LC)
- the Montero is narrower allowing it to more easily fit on tighter trails, while still having interior enough room for 7 seats.
- the drivetrain is also extremely robust with a 9.5" ring gear in back and a 8+" ring gear up front and larger/stronger corresponding axles.
- as much as many make of IFS being a potential detriment, the Montero's system is capable of handling 37+" tires without mods and easily soaks up the bumps. As nice as it would be to have more articulation of a solid axle, simply add an arb rd110 and the Montero is able to hold its own on the same extreme trials while being much more comfortable.

I could go on and on about the rest of it, but you get the idea.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Sorry if I offended you, was not my intent, but for me it's hard to believe and I'll leave it at that.

You are welcome to test drive my rig and I'm sure many in your area would welcome you to do the same.

I'm not saying the Montero is any better or worse the any other vehicle. What I'm saying is you get a lot of truck for your money.

No, no, I'm sorry...I'm honestly not trying to bash Montero's...I LIKE them. I must be coming off wrong...

Just trying to be objective as to what someone who isn't an enthusiast might think if they test drove the ones I did, and then say, test drove a land cruiser or Ford explorer/Jeep Grand cherokee,etc , etc... A brand that caters to them via every possible media outlet.

I've seen more than a few rigs go down here with repairs - one of which ended up with the motor being pulled. I've test driven a few, and all of them had issues with the 4x4/locker system.

Now now... my Montero's history is still a mystery to me... The truck was overheated by me once (on a trail). There was some questionable work done to it previously. I wouldn't categorize mine as a necessary rebuild. We were going to do that anyways for reasons I've mentioned elsewhere....

cap510

Adventurer
I have own multiple Toyota 4runners, pickups, landcruisers, a Tacoma and multiple Toyota sedans, All of them
came n went, I love cars in general, I have own over 30 cars in my young life from different brands, all vehicles have pros and cons... However i still have my monteros! what else can i say! :victory:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz