Non-bumper rear tire mount for a LC100??

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Hey all,
Don't know if this has been asked yet....
Anyone know of a rear tire mount that does not depend on a rear bumper, for a '98 LC 100. I was sitting behind an older 4Runner today and that's what it had, so I got to thinking!
I can't quite spot the investment in a rear bumper right now (front bumper has to come first!), but would love to get the wheel out from under the body.

any ideas? Besides putting it on the roof....

Joff

They are very common over here. Kaymar make them. here's the website. They list their US distributor as a mob called Man A Fre??? but the link doesn't work.

pic of mine

071.jpg

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks Joff,
Good to know. Your rig looks great. Just need to work on how I can get one here now! Maybe i'll just bring one over from South Africa on my next trip over?! If I can't find one here, maybe they'll have an Aussie or South African brand.
Cheers

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
If you need the tire out from under the truck, that means you must be doing some wheeling. If you wheel, then sooner or later you are going to rip that plastic off. So the carriers that work with the stock bumper does not make much sense. Alternatively run a skinny spare tire in the stock location.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
If you need the tire out from under the truck, that means you must be doing some wheeling. If you wheel, then sooner or later you are going to rip that plastic off. So the carriers that work with the stock bumper does not make much sense. Alternatively run a skinny spare tire in the stock location.

Good point, Christo! Actually, not really into wheeling. My travel is more SA-style, with long dirt roads and double-track. I just hate the thought of struggling to get the spare in event of bogging in mud or the like. The ultimate goal is to have jerry can, spare wheel and Hi-lift on a back bumper, so maybe i'll just wait for the lotto and get the real-deal bumper! Do it right the first time, I guess.

But.... I really like Joff's setup.

Joff

Really? I'm on my 2nd cruiser with an over bar carrier. Never ripped a plastic bit off.. Must be the way you drive :wings:

Actually that's not the only reason you take a tyre out from under a cruiser. The other is to stick a 180ltr longrange fuel tank under there.

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
Really? I'm on my 2nd cruiser with an over bar carrier. Never ripped a plastic bit off.. Must be the way you drive :wings:

Might be where you drive :D

If you do the ledges and such in Moab, the plastic is not going to stay on very long. BTDT.

attachment.php

Actually that's not the only reason you take a tyre out from under a cruiser. The other is to stick a 180ltr longrange fuel tank under there.

True as well, but not that common in the US due to availability of the tanks.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor

If you do the ledges and such in Moab, the plastic is not going to stay on very long. BTDT.

attachment.php

True as well, but not that common in the US due to availability of the tanks.
Holy shizzle, Christo! Was that by mistake?! just kidding. No...I definitely do not see much of that in my future. I enjoy having my wife around too much and do not want to even consider sharing custody of my son!! I can see the chance of losing a little plastic in that situation.... that thing looks stock to me except for lift and rubber? Am I right? Can't see what fr bumper with the pic res.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Never mind. I can see now it's not a stock bumper. Damn glare on the laptop sitting out in the gorgeous sun. I hate summer!!

Sawyer

Adventurer
Holy shizzle, Christo! Was that by mistake?! just kidding. No...I definitely do not see much of that in my future. I enjoy having my wife around too much and do not want to even consider sharing custody of my son!! I can see the chance of losing a little plastic in that situation.... that thing looks stock to me except for lift and rubber? Am I right? Can't see what fr bumper with the pic res.

Awe com on.... The wife is who drove over that.....:sombrero:

Joff

attachment.php

Yeah, not really my thing in a touring rig. Leave that to the crawler..

Actually, thinking about it. Is that really 'driving' or merely 'falling' down the ledge?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven