Non Chinese RTT?

ttengineer

Adventurer
What brands other than Eezi-awn and James B are made outside of China? I know CVT, Tepui, and HIT are all made in China.

ttengineer

Adventurer
If you get a rock solid product like Teupi, what does it matter?

From what I've seen on others vehicles and at Overland Expo East, the Chinese tents are just not that well made. The seam tape is extremely poor, god knows what chemicals are in the dipped canvas, and I honestly don't want to support Chinese industry due to human rights labor issues.

I've got nothing against brands like Tepui and CVT, and wish them all the best, but if you know anything about china and its products, there is a very real chance that both those brands, and others, are made in the same factory.

Probably all of the tents made in china come from 2 or 3 factories and the only difference is color and logo.

Most products from China are like this, not just RTT.

The other thing that irks me is the piss poor warranty offered by the RTT companies. 1 or 2 years, are you kidding me? Any other outdoor company will offer a LIFETIME warranty, even the ones using Asian labor markets.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
AutoHome tents are made in a small dedicated factory in Italy. I asked them if they were going to offshore to China and their reply was, "then what would we do?".

If you see an AutoHome or AutoHome looking tent from China, it is a knock off. It appears that they only bring some of their high end tents to North America, their other tents are just as good but they can't compete on price, labor intensive. These aren't mass produced items and in Europe, folks custom order their tents from the factory. We can do the same, it just takes a longer time and would cost a bit more. They only have a 5 year warranty, but in reality they are lifetime as they support all their older tents with parts and accessories.

The questi

ttengineer

Adventurer
AutoHome tents are made in a small dedicated factory in Italy. I asked them if they were going to offshore to China and their reply was, "then what would we do?".

If you see an AutoHome or AutoHome looking tent from China, it is a knock off. It appears that they only bring some of their high end tents to North America, their other tents are just as good but they can't compete on price, labor intensive. These aren't mass produced items and in Europe, folks custom order their tents from the factory. We can do the same, it just takes a longer time and would cost a bit more. They only have a 5 year warranty, but in reality they are lifetime as they support all their older tents with parts and accessories.

The questi

5 years is better than 12 months though.

Unfortunately, I am looking for a more traditional RTT. The wife demands a private exit/entry with annex below.

I really like the Howling Moon Stargazer. They seem to be hard to find here in the US though.

MurphyBob

Observer
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...1400-Series-3-T-Top-roof-tent-in-Charlotte-NC

This is a good deal and can be delivered to Atlanta. Hope the link works.

Default Eezi Awn 1400 Series 3 T-Top roof tent in Charlotte, NC
Selling this tent on behalf of a friend, who purchased this tent from me.

Eezi-Awn is considered one of the most respected RTT brands. Made in S. Africa, this is basically a queen size mattress and has a full annex room below. I have upgrade this RTT in two ways. The mattress now has a durable removable cover (from the ARB line of RTT's) which replaces the non-removable cotton cover of the Eezi-awn. this is a good thing. The other upgrade is for the ladder. The newer EA RTT model line is the XCLUSIV, which has a ladder extension that folds within the ladder, vs the older model that requires the extension to be stored separately. For lifted defenders, this matters.

Tent is in good shape, and also has a CVT breather mat to prevent condensation buildup underneath the mattress. The tent cover was replaced last year (they are generally good for 3-4 years and made of pvc for all brands).

The tent is missing one wire pole for the rain fly (out of 6 poles total) that can easily be replaced from EA suppliers like Equipt1.

if you buy new, the equivalent Exclusive 1400 retails for $3300.

This tent includes fully enclosed annex room and mesh floor.

located in Charlotte. local pickup or buyer arranges shipping/RURR

$2500 OBO plus shipping. Located in Charlotte

Click image for larger version.

Name: tent1.jpg
Views: 19
Size: 104.6 KB
ID: 371250

Name: tent2.jpg
Views: 20
Size: 52.4 KB
ID: 371251

Name: tent3.jpg
Views: 17
Size: 49.8 KB
ID: 371252

Name: tent4.jpg
Views: 16
Size: 59.2 KB
ID: 371253

Name: tent5.jpg
Views: 15
Size: 87.2 KB
ID: 371254

Name: tent6.jpg
Views: 15
Size: 104.2 KB
ID: 371255

Name: tent7.jpg
Views: 16
Size: 74.4 KB
ID: 371256

Name: tent8.jpg
Views: 14
Size: 59.4 KB
ID: 371257
Mark
Land Rover NAS 110 #234, 2.8 TGV Turbo Diesel
HAM Tecnician call sign: KM4BOR
Chronically suffering from wanderlust...

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
5 years is better than 12 months though.

Unfortunately, I am looking for a more traditional RTT. The wife demands a private exit/entry with annex below.

I really like the Howling Moon Stargazer. They seem to be hard to find here in the US though.

Yeah, AutoHome has been making traditional roof tents since the early 50's, they just don't stock them in North America, no doubt a special order thing. They have one called the OverZone that may be what you are looking for. Their website is a little wonky, a new one apparently is in the works. - http://www.autohome-official.com/en/products/fabric-roof-top-tent/overzone/accessories

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
All James Baroud products are proudly built in Porto, Portugal. Our soft shell tents have a 3 year warranty and hard shell feature a 5 year warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333