OBI Dweller Review and Discussion

WingShot

I'm curious how the Ranger is doing pulling your Dweller. Is it working out okay?
Sorry, Willy. I haven't been around much lately and missed this question.

The Ranger pulls the Dweller 13 very well, no problems with power or handling on the truck side. It does have the Tremor and tow packages from the factory, and I installed Firestone suspension air bags.

The only issue has been with the ECM. Something with the Pre-collision Assist sensors causes it to freak out occasionally while climbing steep grades. An error pops up and the truck goes into limp mode, I pull to the side and turn it off. After sitting a minute or two it starts up and away we go. Dealer has been unable to diagnose a problem. It's been 3-4 trips since it has reared it's ugly head...so maybe we're past it?

I think no matter what trailer you buy, you are going to do a handful of repairs, and upgrades. Look at the positive, you will learn all about your trailer build and become familiar with it. I ordered a Kimberley, and I bet that it will need a handful of items addressed.
And my guess is that almost everyone here has done at least one or 2 mods to their tow vehicle, which I'm sure included replacing a perfectly functional factory item that we'd already paid for! No reason a trailer should be any different, or less personalized than our trucks/jeeps/etc!

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Sorry, Willy. I haven't been around much lately and missed this question.

The Ranger pulls the Dweller 13 very well, no problems with power or handling on the truck side. It does have the Tremor and tow packages from the factory, and I installed Firestone suspension air bags.

The only issue has been with the ECM. Something with the Pre-collision Assist sensors causes it to freak out occasionally while climbing steep grades. An error pops up and the truck goes into limp mode, I pull to the side and turn it off. After sitting a minute or two it starts up and away we go. Dealer has been unable to diagnose a problem. It's been 3-4 trips since it has reared it's ugly head...so maybe we're past it?
Can you turn down the sensitivity, there is three levels. I am sure it because how much the weight on the hitch cycles the front suspension. You can also disable it.

WingShot

Can you turn down the sensitivity, there is three levels. I am sure it because how much the weight on the hitch cycles the front suspension. You can also disable it.
It has happened with Pre-collision Assist turned off. Have not tried to adjust the sensitivity. Someone has speculated that maybe the camera loses sight of the road, but it seems that would be more consistent and that more people would also have the issue.

WingShot

That's legit. I also found the tank straps to be loose, but I try not to turn the trailer upside down too often. In all seriousness, though, I've been looking to do that similar mod to make it snug and lockable but haven't had the time. I love the idea of the Jerry can holders. I have one I keep inside the tongue box with gas. Would be nice to have it external.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I'm still catching up with this thread...

This is my quick, easy fix to the loose tank straps. I cut out a section from a pool noodle, split it down the middle and fit it over the strap. Has worked well so far. Not as elegant or functional as Willy's fix, but that's how I roll.

I also use them to fill up the dead spaces between my tool boxes and gear in the storage drawers.

LPG_PoolNoodle.jpg

I'm still catching up with this thread...

This is my quick, easy fix to the loose tank straps. I cut out a section from a pool noodle, split it down the middle and fit it over the strap. Has worked well so far. Not as elegant or functional as Willy's fix, but that's how I roll.

I also use them to fill up the dead spaces between my tool boxes and gear in the storage drawers.

View attachment 734066
I haven't noticed mine being awefully loose and mine didn't move after some pretty wild offroading. I just tightened my threads on the clamp as much as possible and might cut the bolt down to gain another inch of tightening. I do want to move mine so I can fit a Jerry can next to it though. For this last trip I just used one propane tank and inside the other mount I ratchet strapped a 5 gal gas tank into the propane holder (it almost even latched, was so so close). Worked out pretty nicely actually till I get an actual mount and move things around. When my land cruiser is only getting 9mpg max towing it's nice to have some backup fuel.....

FordGuy1

Adventurer
It has happened with Pre-collision Assist turned off. Have not tried to adjust the sensitivity. Someone has speculated that maybe the camera loses sight of the road, but it seems that would be more consistent and that more people would also have the issue.
Normally, if the camera has a issue, the system immediately disables this feature. I believe it will say collision avoidance not available, or something like that.

WingShot

Normally, if the camera has a issue, the system immediately disables this feature. I believe it will say collision avoidance not available, or something like that.
Pretty close. The warning that pops up says "Pre-Collision Assist Not Available". It cancels Tow Mode and goes into Limp mode (I guess). The Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power warning (wrench) light comes on. Once, after a couple consecutive times the Check Engine light came on, but everything reset after disconnecting the trailer and re-starting the truck.

WingShot

I haven't noticed mine being awefully loose and mine didn't move after some pretty wild offroading. I just tightened my threads on the clamp as much as possible and might cut the bolt down to gain another inch of tightening. I do want to move mine so I can fit a Jerry can next to it though. For this last trip I just used one propane tank and inside the other mount I ratchet strapped a 5 gal gas tank into the propane holder (it almost even latched, was so so close). Worked out pretty nicely actually till I get an actual mount and move things around. When my land cruiser is only getting 9mpg max towing it's nice to have some backup fuel.....
Yes, the bolts on the clamp are too long to get it real tight. I have thought about cutting them down as well, but this is working for now.

I always carry a full jerry can, kind of notorious for running out of gas. Right now it rides in the front gear box but would like a better solution. Kind of need one that doesn't include the welding and fabrication though.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Pretty close. The warning that pops up says "Pre-Collision Assist Not Available". It cancels Tow Mode and goes into Limp mode (I guess). The Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power warning (wrench) light comes on. Once, after a couple consecutive times the Check Engine light came on, but everything reset after disconnecting the trailer and re-starting the truck.
So, I am going to guess that you have a issue that is more than likely a power-train problem. The PCM is picking up a issue that is serious enough to throw the truck into limp mode, and when that happens, the stragey built into the PCM is to cancel Pre-Collision, and tow mode. I would get this fixed before you are stranded.

WingShot

So, I am going to guess that you have a issue that is more than likely a power-train problem. The PCM is picking up a issue that is serious enough to throw the truck into limp mode, and when that happens, the stragey built into the PCM is to cancel Pre-Collision, and tow mode. I would get this fixed before you are stranded.
It would be nice if they could find something to fix. I have had it looked at twice. Dealer says they can't find anything wrong and need to duplicate the problem. Difficult to duplicate the problem with it happening so sporadically. They suggested I come in with the trailer and take a tech for a ride, I could drive him all over the Rockies and not seen the issue. Pulled the camper to Moab for a week in April and it happened once on the way back, that was the last time. Four trips since and nothing.

I appreciate the help and will pass the ideas onto my mechanic. Sorry for all the Ford talk on the OBi Dweller thread!

Yes, the bolts on the clamp are too long to get it real tight. I have thought about cutting them down as well, but this is working for now.

I always carry a full jerry can, kind of notorious for running out of gas. Right now it rides in the front gear box but would like a better solution. Kind of need one that doesn't include the welding and fabrication though.
Yea same, It was a great easy and clever temp fix though! I think I'll eventually just buy a premade jerrycan mount and bolt it on. Easy enough without all the cool fab skills and tools I've seen on here. I am handy enough, just don't have all the right tools unfortunately.

WillySwan

We find the mattress that came in the Dweller to be extremely comfortable. It is however a "dirt-magnet". The fuzzy white material attracts all of the dirt.

For bedding and protection, we have found the following to work really well:
  • RV King sized mattress pad/protector <Link>
  • RT King sized sheet set <Link>
When the mattress is folded, we use an extra-deep (21 or 22 inch deep) standard twin fitted sheet as a cover. It fits well and fully covers the mattress. I think we were able to pick up just the fitted bottom sheet at Target.
IMG_9524.jpg

We keep the sheets and mattress pad on when the bed is folded. They stay in place with no problem. When we unfold the mattress, we keep the twin sheet underneath. It really helps to keep the top sheet in place when sleeping. Sort of hard to explain, but hopefully the picture will help explain.
IMG_9522.jpg

Credit for these tips goes to Mrs. WillySwan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal