OBI Dweller Review and Discussion

gendlert

Any issues with the 'bedroom pullout' leaking with all that water? and by the looks of the photos, the water draining off the top in that direction?
None at all. The design of the overhang on the pullout makes for very effective water protection. I wanted it sloping that way because the vents also point to the rear and I can have them open a bit without water coming in. If water comes in the bathroom vent I don't really care because it's the shower, but I still get fresh air.

A month ago, after about 4500 tow miles, I noticed that the McHitch on my D13 had some play, or wobble, in the shaft.

I didn't really notice any issue when towing, but it was concerning and obviously not operating as designed. Also, the play in the hitch was getting sloppier over time.

I contacted Caravan Specialties LLC (mchitch.us). John was extremely helpful as always. He confirmed that there should be zero play in the system and that the hitch should not rotate freely. He also assured me that this should just be an adjustment issue, but if there was any damage to my hitch it would be covered under the McHitch warranty.

John explained that on rare occasions, he has seen the main nylock nut work its way loose over time. This is usually caused by the set screw in the nut not being properly tightened. As there is the large cotter pin on the shaft retaining the main nut, there is no concern with catastrophic failure.

John suggested that I disassemble the hitch to confirm no damage to the shaft or bushings. If no damage was found, all that would be needed is to lube and adjust per their 5-year maintenance procedure:
  • Pull the main shaft cotter pin
  • Remove the grub screw from the main nut
  • Remove the nut and pull the shaft
  • Wipe it off and clean the bushing flanges
  • Even though the label on the McHitch states the graphite impregnated bushings do not require lubrication, John recommends smearing a coat of grease on the shaft and the bushing flanges. “Red-N-Tacky is a good grease, but any good chassis grease, or marine grease will work.
  • Re-install the shaft.
  • Tighten the nut to 70 ft lbs. When it is at that value, the torque required to turn the main shaft in the body will be about 50-55 ft lbs.
  • Install a new cotter pin
  • Re-install the grub screw (set screw) with some medium (blue) Loctite on it. Do not put Loctite on the main nut threads
  • Lube the u-joint just enough to see grease escape around the seals. This should be done once or twice a year
  • Be sure the main yoke is clocked to where the small alignment pin is facing up as it enters the receiver.
I disassembled my McHitch and confirmed there was no damage. It was obvious that the main nut had backed off. Even though it is a Nylock nut, there was very little resistance to the nut turning once the grub screw was loosened. I followed the service procedure and everything is good. At the ~70 ft lbs of torque on the main nut, the torque required to rotate the main shaft is very close to the 50-55 ft lbs that John said to expect.

Based on this experience, here are my suggestions:
  • Regularly check the main shaft on the McHitch when hitching or unhitching your trailer. There should be no play in the hitch and it should have a reasonable resistance to rotating.
  • If your hitch shows signs of being loose, go ahead and adjust it.
    - Remove the grub screw
    - Tighten the main nut 70 ft lbs
    - Reinstall the grub screw using medium Loctite and tighten securely
The main nut takes a 1-7/16” socket. I have not tried this, but if you don’t remove and replace the main cotter pin, you may be able to use a 12-inch Crescent wrench to adjust the main nut.
  • If your hitch is not loose, I would still recommend removing the grub screw and reinstalling securely with Loctite.
  • When you lubricate the u-joint
    - Pump in grease until it just starts to squeeze out of the seals
    - Rotate the u-joint back-and-forth on both axis to ensure the fresh grease is worked in
    - Pump in a bit more grease. This ensures there are no air pockets in the u-joint.
As usual, this site is a great resource. I just checked my hitch, and while it isn't quite as free turning as WillySwan's, it is turning too easily. I think I might try the crescent wrench route. The torque might not be exact, but I'll see how it goes.

Sort of related, should I be concerned by some dirty grease below the u-joint?

Hitch u-joint 1.jpgHitch u-joint 2.jpg

WillySwan

As usual, this site is a great resource. I just checked my hitch, and while it isn't quite as free turning as WillySwan's, it is turning too easily. I think I might try the crescent wrench route. The torque might not be exact, but I'll see how it goes.

Sort of related, should I be concerned by some dirty grease below the u-joint?

View attachment 737949View attachment 737950

Since posting yesterday, I’ve noticed that 1-7/16 inch combination wrenches are available for around $20-$25 at Tractor Supply and Amazon. That would be a good way to go. You should be able to estimate 70 ft lbs close enough.

There are no worries with the grease residue around the u-joint, that’s just seepage. It is part of the reason you want to periodically re-grease the joint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not all rock sliders are the same. A number of the ones you see are more for show and marketing rather than for actual protection. Any good welding shop can make you up rock/tree/trail protection for the camper. For whatever part of the camper, and as close to, or far away, from the body as you want. Find a good welder or shop and see if they have any down time that you can bring your camper by. Most welders I’ve dealt with love a chance to get creative and to design solutions.

ROA-OFFROAD

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
I want to see someone like ROA come out with an option to put rock sliders on these trailers like you see on so many Australian trailers.

Great idea. So far, the D19 is the first unit they sent with the rock sliders. Goawaymore was right- Not all rocksliders are actually effective at what they are suppose to do. We will have to look at the frame and determine if it can be done in a way that the sliders do their intended Job.

Oliver242

Changing the subject…

Winter is coming in a couple months and I have been thinking about winterizing my D13. My old travel trailer had a 3 way bypass valve with a small hose extending out where I only needed to turn the valve and put the hose in the antifreeze jug.

I’m not seeing anything like that in my Dweller. Any ideas or recommendations on how your winterizing your Dweller?

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Changing the subject…

Winter is coming in a couple months and I have been thinking about winterizing my D13. My old travel trailer had a 3 way bypass valve with a small hose extending out where I only needed to turn the valve and put the hose in the antifreeze jug.

I’m not seeing anything like that in my Dweller. Any ideas or recommendations on how your winterizing your Dweller?

Let's see how long it takes to get an answer from the premier US dealer for OBI. Gendlert is likely out camping in AZ and winterizing is way down the road for him

Oliver242

Lol. Great idea. I did ask the dealership here in Colorado where I bought my D13 and they wouldn’t show me or tell me how they do it because of “liability concerns”. Cmon man.

avidtest

In case anyone is following ROA's new Roamer series, I'd be curious to hear thoughts and discuss the pros/cons of them, vs., the Dwellers - specifically the D19, which has the most appeal to me within the OBI series, since it's a fixed roof model, and is larger overall without being ponderous. The ROA Roamer X195/Roamer 1 is too expensive at $160K and too heavy (ultimately I want to keep the GVWR at less than 8,000 lbs). Friggin beautiful though. The Roamer X145 also looks amazing, but is on the smaller side for my 'wants', and is still aggressively expensive at around $125K if I recall correctly.

Seems the D19 at $80K is now a relative bargain, but am I missing something?

In case anyone is following ROA's new Roamer series, I'd be curious to hear thoughts and discuss the pros/cons of them, vs., the Dwellers - specifically the D19, which has the most appeal to me within the OBI series, since it's a fixed roof model, and is larger overall without being ponderous. The ROA Roamer X195/Roamer 1 is too expensive at $160K and too heavy (ultimately I want to keep the GVWR at less than 8,000 lbs). Friggin beautiful though. The Roamer X145 also looks amazing, but is on the smaller side for my 'wants', and is still aggressively expensive at around $125K if I recall correctly.

No not really. The 145 fully speced is 150k the Roamer1 fully speced will be likely 190k

Well since ROA is the largest dealer for OBI that 80K is what they tease with so with the Roamer 1 pushing 200k they will find a way to push the OBI 19 to 100k.

Changing the subject…

Did you ever get an answer on the plug?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal