OBI Dweller Review and Discussion

CowboyKyle

Have to bow back in. What is the definition of an RV tourist and boon docker? Also what is the Dwellers design intent?
The definitions of those terms are subjective and variable to the person using them. Your definition may differ than mine.

Dweller's design intent was to get owners into the remote backcountry, where other trailers can not go, comfortably, safely and with little to no problems, at an affordable price. They do that.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

The definitions of those terms are subjective and variable to the person using them. Your definition may differ than mine.

Dweller's design intent was to get owners into the remote backcountry, where other trailers can not go, comfortably, safely and with little to no problems, at an affordable price. They do that.

I get it your calling me a sissy. Typical cowboy move 😉 I thought boon docker meant deep into the back country. What do I know being an RV tourist who has never driven a super duper off road dweller before how would I know anything about off roading. I am so excited about my next trip to the RV park in so utah.

CowboyKyle

I get it your calling me a sissy. Typical cowboy move 😉 I thought boon docker meant deep into the back country. What do I know being an RV tourist who has never driven a super duper off road dweller before how would I know anything about off roading. I am so excited about my next trip to the RV park in so utah.
We definitely agree on something and I'm glad you could type it out for others to see:

"What could a non-owner without tools, skills or patience know about about off-roading in a Dweller?"

I would know not to be behind you when your were swaying all over the freeway at 85mph traveling to your deep back country destination. I would also like you to know I rotated my tires, greased my Timbrens, replaced the gasket on my shower door, blew out my water lines with my viair compressor with winterizing kit and reconfigured my propex exhaust/intake lines today. Not bad for a tourist.

CowboyKyle

I would know not to be behind you when your were swaying all over the freeway at 85mph traveling to your deep back country destination. I would also like you to know I rotated my tires, greased my Timbrens, replaced the gasket on my shower door, blew out my water lines with my viair compressor with winterizing kit and reconfigured my propex exhaust/intake lines today. Not bad for a tourist.
Okay.

I will make one last comment. I have never towed a Dweller but I have crawled under one unit. I would encourage all owners to keep an eye on the chassis welds and galvanization. I have several US galvanizing clients one of which was dexter chassis group. There is a lot of chemistry in the galvanization process and it's important that the entire welded frame is dipped and dipped once (very high temperatures). This applies to all galvanized chassis (especially mass produced Chinese ones) not just Dwellers.

Xid_az

I hope we can all get a good night's sleep and have a fresh day tomorrow with all back and forth behind us. I hope we all can just look forward to the next adventure, regardless of what trailer we own. It's all about getting out there and not sitting on our a** at home, isn't it? Let's have some fun!:D

S J

Can you speak to experiences you've had with other trailer companies who have bent over backwards on a large scale to handle warranty claims?
Yes, Grand design, back in 2016 when we purchased fifth wheel, they where very helpful. They even paid for my 7 months of storage fees as well, because the dealership was slow to fixing the little issues. I am sure the dealer ship and Grand design both chipped in.

Even obi, I will be heading down to Arizona for them to put a new top on after a weird stress crack developed in my interior ceiling. They initially told me to get prices from boat shops and auto body shops, since they work with fiberglass. But no one wanted to do the repair. So Obi said bring it down and we will take care of it.

S J

Okay.

My dweller 15 does not sway either. It concerned me a little bit after watching the Roa video's. But I have driven 75 to 80 mph and the dweller pulled like a champ. I normally would not drive that fast pulling a trailer, I was just curious. My normal towing speeds will range from 60 to 75 mph with no problems.

A little off the subject. As far as Roa goes, they seem like good guys, but they are salesmen. I do not feel to sorry for dealerships who complain about paying too much for a product and they cannot sell for price they thought. It's part of the game. The main thing for me is. As long as I think I am getting a good deal, then I am happy ! I have never met a good salesmen I did not like. I did get a great deal on my dweller 15 .

S J

Where is this VIN sticker located? Photo, from an earlier post.View attachment 798707

I have a Dweller 15 and I've looked all over the tongue and can't find it. If someone has a wider shot that shows the location, I'd appreciate it. Maybe I'm blind, but there's a good chance that it's not there on mine.
I purchased from a dealer in Mesa, AZ, as did a couple others on this thread, that was blowing these out. New camper, but being sold as used with no warranty. I don't think the dealer really knew what they were doing with these campers.

If I can't locate,I'lll contact OBI and see if I can get one from them. I'm concerned that if I ever moved or wanted to sell it, without the VIN sticker, there might be problems.

Has anyone seen other places where the VIN located on these campers? I know with cars, they're all over the place, but with trailers.....?
I contacted that dealership in Arizona, aren't they mainly a motor cycle dealership ? I could be wrong, but something seems a little sketchy. They sell a brand new trailer under a used title with no warranty at a to good to be true price. Maybe everything was legit. just seems a little odd. Because dealerships are not selling products just to be altruistic. I would guess maybe they purchased damaged Dwellers from Obi directly and repaired them to look new again. YOU did get a smoking price though and even if there are dumb little repairs you are still way ahead of the game.
Yep, we got our new, no warranty, D15 for under 30k. At that price I am happy to be more hands on with it.

I contacted that dealership in Arizona, aren't they mainly a motor cycle dealership ? I could be wrong, but something seems a little sketchy. They sell a brand new trailer under a used title with no warranty at a to good to be true price. Maybe everything was legit. just seems a little odd. Because dealerships are not selling products just to be altruistic. I would guess maybe they purchased damaged Dwellers from Obi directly ( because they are 1 mile away ) and repaired them to look new again. YOU did get a smoking price though and even if there are dumb little repairs you are still way ahead of the game.

Az Auto Rv​

2.6 (45 reviews)

S J

There are different levels of skills cowboy. My guess is your average off road trailer buyer like myself do not have the time tools or patience to fix or change a brand new trailer like many of you fine folks in this forum have. I just feel bad for anyone who paid full price on these units a few years ago or any 2024 models and have to change shocks etc.

I am sure folks are tired of this conversation so I will bow out.

I will still offer my opinions even if I don't own or ever dealt with OBI.
Everybody knows in the rv world when someone purchases an rv unfortunately something will go wrong. I have a grand design fifth wheel along with the dweller 15. As far as build quality goes, hands down dweller is far superior. even with their shocks ! The cabinetry, doors, windows, sky light, shower faucet, water pressure, flooring, furnace, heat pump, inverter, solar. Pretty much everything. I love our fiver and it is used for different outings. I am just saying from experience, dweller quality is better. No, I do not feel sorry for people who purchase rv's. Because unfortunately issues are part of the game ( buyer beware) Well on second thought, I might feel sorry for a couple people. But not from purchasing an rv, lol. There is one really stupid design flaw with the dweller. Who decide to put the coaxial cable connector on the roof ?

Xid did find his vin #. I assume AZ Auto picked up this Dweller from an auction. I believe I heard many main stream rv dealers went out of business and thier Dwellers went to auction. I was blown away by how many dealers obi signed up in 2021. Then flooded the market with 1,000's of units. The D15 were listed at 60k then. It does make me wonder about the future and what dealers will be selling the 2024 units and what the costs will be. My guess is ROA won't be stocking 2024 units.

S J

Xid did find his vin #. I assume AZ Auto picked up this Dweller from an auction. I believe I heard many main stream rv dealers went out of business and thier Dwellers went to auction. I was blown away by how many dealers obi signed up in 2021. Then flooded the market with 1,000's of units. The D15 were listed at 60k then. It does make me wonder about the future and what dealers will be selling the 2024 units and what the costs will be. My guess is ROA won't be stocking 2024 units.
When I was calling around the country looking for a dweller, a few of the dealerships stated they would not be selling their product anymore.
BUT, if there is a market for dweller, an audience will come. Dealers might sign back up. Who knows though. Or maybe obi will do a tesla thing and just bypass the dealer all together. Roa, told me a couple months ago, they where just selling off their current inventory and would be done. We shall see.

You probably already know this but the msrp price is nothing. you can normally get 10% if not 20% off. After the 20% off then you would be looking at around $48,000.00. That price is in line with opus, mdc, etc....

The az dealership is just a mile away from obi in az.

Last edited:

gendlert

OBI is moving to direct-to-consumer sales. They're putting out 3-4 units a week right now, and they'll control the price tags. All of these cleared out units are from dealers OBI won't work with anymore per the shop manager last week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk