OBI Dweller Review and Discussion

LaBlaze

Just came to say I can run the AC and heat pump, along with everything else, no problem from a 20amp 110 outlet with a dogbone.
I wonder if it's because I had it running from extension cords? Or maybe it was a 15 amp circuit? Or the way I had the converter plugged into the extension cords, then surge protector, then the 50 amp cord?

Dweller Feller

We've only had the camper a month and used the top about 10 times... I'm going to try to submit a manufacturer claim

I still see the Dweller 13 and 15 listed on website. They are down from over 40 units to maybe 12 on thier happy valley UT lot. My guess is you won't see any 2024 Dwellers or Conqueror on thier lots in the future. Once the bargains dry up sales will dwindle especially to dealers that got hosed
That does not surprise me. Obi, has issues with their client support along with ordering parts.

kevin8119

I wonder if it's because I had it running from extension cords? Or maybe it was a 15 amp circuit? Or the way I had the converter plugged into the extension cords, then surge protector, then the 50 amp cord?
I have a nice 30 amp outdoor, heavy power tool extension cord I use and I don't have a surge protector in the middle. Might be worth trying it with pieces removed from the equation. The 50 amp power cord is pretty unruly, I would much rather use the light, easy to pack cord and adapter as long as it's working for running everything.

LaBlaze

I have a nice 30 amp outdoor, heavy power tool extension cord I use and I don't have a surge protector in the middle. Might be worth trying it with pieces removed from the equation. The 50 amp power cord is pretty unruly, I would much rather use the light, easy to pack cord and adapter as long as it's working for running everything.
Thank you!!! Smart man!! I'll look into a 30amp extension cord.

kevin8119

Thank you!!! Smart man!! I'll look into a 30amp extension cord.
Im pretty sure I was inaccurate on my extension cord. It’s a nice contractor grade 15amp cord and I’m plugged directly into a 20amp circuit.

I am using a yellow jacket 100 foot cord I had for tools. It’s 15 amp rated. Verified today.

tjtx

It could be that your batteries are low and the inverter's charger kicked on, too.. I think it defaults to 65a of charging which is ~900w (or more), the AC itself will draw ~850-900w total. With the AC compressor on, and the battery charger on at 65a you're likely just tripping the breaker at 1800w. When I had to recharge ours from the Tacoma's inverter since I had no other DC chargers, I changed the settings down to 15a to prevent it from tripping and it was fine.. You can find the settings in the Renogy Manual here, the PDF Page 30 labeled Page 29 - Option 11.. Moving it down to even 30a would likely keep you from tripping the breaker while on a 15a ckt.

RJWB

Is OBI is selling these on auction themselves?

I wonder how many of these two year old units are still out there?
Yes, if you look at the pickup address it's OBI in Tempe Arizona. Nice to know you would be buying from the manufacturer, someone that actually knows a thing or two about the trailers versus most dealers that know very little.
PICK UP ADDRESS 1401 S Siesta Ln, Tempe, AZ 85281

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

I wonder if any support or warranty would be offered if they sell at auction prices. Why would they just post them on thier website?

Any dealers that still have them in stock must be bummed is they are selling them out the back door for less then dealer cost.

Dweller Feller

I wonder if any support or warranty would be offered if they sell at auction prices. Why would they just post them on thier website?

Any dealers that still have them in stock must be bummed is they are selling them out the back door for less then dealer cost.
Obi, is supposedly going to be selling to the public directly. I think what happened was, the dealerships, paid more than what Obi was selling them for. Obi, training for the dealerships was awful, their customer support is pretty bad, ordering parts is really hard. Obi, pissed off a lot of dealers, so the dealers told them to pound sand. While Obi makes it sound like it was by their choice, when in reality it might not have been.
Obi, is ran by 20 year olds and it shows with their customer service. It would not surprise me if Obi will be a " pump and dump" business.

kevin8119

Anybody that has done the lithium upgrade, group 31 fits the stock battery trays right? I measured but I just don’t want to pick up the wrong thing.

Thinking about 3x of Timeusb 12V 140Ah LiFePO4 Lithium Battery with Low Temp Cut Off, Built-in 100A BMS, Group 31 Deep Cycle LiFePO4 Battery, Max.1792Wh Energy, Perfect for RV Home Backup System Off-Grid Trolling Motor https://a.co/d/2WpZovH

Also wondering if we’re to connect the AC outlet to the inverter to run the AC off grid, what wiring upgrades would be needed. I can always put bigger gauge battery cable but is it “needed”?

tjtx

Anybody that has done the lithium upgrade, group 31 fits the stock battery trays right? I measured but I just don’t want to pick up the wrong thing.

Thinking about 3x of Timeusb 12V 140Ah LiFePO4 Lithium Battery with Low Temp Cut Off, Built-in 100A BMS, Group 31 Deep Cycle LiFePO4 Battery, Max.1792Wh Energy, Perfect for RV Home Backup System Off-Grid Trolling Motor https://a.co/d/2WpZovH

Also wondering if we’re to connect the AC outlet to the inverter to run the AC off grid, what wiring upgrades would be needed. I can always put bigger gauge battery cable but is it “needed”?

I'm pretty sure they're Group 31, the ones I used were these cheap Weize 100ah ones:

They're 13*6.77*8.46 inches and fit perfectly into the existing trays, those seem nice to get an extra 40ah per battery (if they're actually 140ah)

For connecting the AC outlet to the inverter, I don't think you'd really need any bigger gauge battery cable. Mine is 4 gauge into a 1/0 combiner that then runs to the inverter. It's pretty short, for 2000w you should be 100% fine. I've been looking at upgrading to a 3000w inverter and trying to squeeze a 4th battery in which would need 4/0 cable.

Honestly the AC only draws ~800-900w max anyway, so it's not like you're going to be drawing a full 2000w. At a 5% drop supporting the max draw from those batteries (400a), 1/0 would be good for up to ~23ft, 2% drop ~10ft. I'd say you'd be 100% OK.

Let me know how those batteries work out, I'm still planning to swap out most of the electronics, fuse panel, etc with the Redarc Manager30+TVMS Prime+TVMS Rogue in a month or two once we stop using the trailer every weekend.

kevin8119

I'm pretty sure they're Group 31, the ones I used were these cheap Weize 100ah ones:

They're 13*6.77*8.46 inches and fit perfectly into the existing trays, those seem nice to get an extra 40ah per battery (if they're actually 140ah)

For connecting the AC outlet to the inverter, I don't think you'd really need any bigger gauge battery cable. Mine is 4 gauge into a 1/0 combiner that then runs to the inverter. It's pretty short, for 2000w you should be 100% fine. I've been looking at upgrading to a 3000w inverter and trying to squeeze a 4th battery in which would need 4/0 cable.

Honestly the AC only draws ~800-900w max anyway, so it's not like you're going to be drawing a full 2000w. At a 5% drop supporting the max draw from those batteries (400a), 1/0 would be good for up to ~23ft, 2% drop ~10ft. I'd say you'd be 100% OK.

Let me know how those batteries work out, I'm still planning to swap out most of the electronics, fuse panel, etc with the Redarc Manager30+TVMS Prime+TVMS Rogue in a month or two once we stop using the trailer every weekend.
Batteries were delivered yesterday, they are charging in the garage now and will be installed once this arctic bomb cyclone gets the hell out of Texas :)
I watched about 3000 Youtube videos on all the brands and they all seem about the same. The extra 120AH in the same footprint really sold me on these vs. 3x of the 100AH ones especially when the price was so comparable. It's like having a 4th battery without a 4th battery.

I would be slightly wary of any without low temp protection. Even in Central Texas I won't often need it, but since the Dweller will sit unattended regularly, I didn't want to risk not having a low temp cutoff and damage the cells. The Redarc management system you're talking about may negate the need for the integrated BMS to have low temp protection, I don't know much about them.

I was thinking, there really shouldn't be a need to do any wiring upgrades when using the factory inverter. I'm not going to be adding any additional draw above the existing limitations.
I'll re-assess the need in the spring. For now, just want to get the batteries loaded up and take it for a test drive. The 200 watt suitcase solar addition should be delivered in the next couple of days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3