OBI Dweller Review and Discussion

RonBA

Okay, I need to share latest info on the $37k trailer from Parris RV (located at one of the Murray locations). The quote sheet I received from them was for a used one and it was priced at $35k. All of you are probably aware that the OBi warranty does not transfer to a second owner. I now think that is what the salesman was trying to tell me.

But I was trying to ask about the new one. What I didn't realize at that time was that the new Dweller Parris was also advertising was at their Payson location and it is priced at $37k. The salesman there tells me it will have a warranty and that they will be servicing Dwellers. Looking at their website, they have over 1200 units but it appears they only have two Dwellers, a used and new one. I must admit I am still spooked by them selling the new one so cheap - it sounds like they could be trying to get out from under handling Dwellers.

In any case, I apologize to all for spooking you about the warranty servicing.

I just want to say that we bought an OBI-13 in December in Idaho for $29,911 (I think I might have originally had a typo in that I said 29,311, but I recently looked at my invoice). The dealer told us HIS COMPANY would no longer be doing warranty work on OBIs (as it had discontinued the line) but that we could get our warranty issues honored directly with OBI (the manufacturer). As both OBI and our family are located in the state of AZ, the fact that the dealer would not be available to do the work did not seem like it would be a major problem. So, perhaps there are other dealers that are also discontinuing their warranty service but that would not mean that the warranty is no longer any good with the manufacturer or other dealers?

glennsmith15

Okay, I need to share latest info on the $37k trailer from Parris RV (located at one of the Murray locations). The quote sheet I received from them was for a used one and it was priced at $35k. All of you are probably aware that the OBi warranty does not transfer to a second owner. I now think that is what the salesman was trying to tell me.

But I was trying to ask about the new one. What I didn't realize at that time was that the new Dweller Parris was also advertising was at their Payson location and it is priced at $37k. The salesman there tells me it will have a warranty and that they will be servicing Dwellers. Looking at their website, they have over 1200 units but it appears they only have two Dwellers, a used and new one. I must admit I am still spooked by them selling the new one so cheap - it sounds like they could be trying to get out from under handling Dwellers.

In any case, I apologize to all for spooking you about the warranty servicing.
I purchased my Dweller from Parris RV in Feb. 2022 as I was a little impatient to get one and they were the closest dealer to me to have one at the time (I'm in OR). They delivered it via 3rd party transport service. I had some questions after receiving and the salesman that helped me was impossible to get ahold of and their service department was no better. I wish I would have read the litany of bad reviews on Google before purchasing from them... once they sell the unit, they really could care less about helping you. I strongly advise against using them unless you are fully aware they will not help you after the sale.

Photog Doug

I purchased my Dweller from Parris RV in Feb. 2022 as I was a little impatient to get one and they were the closest dealer to me to have one at the time (I'm in OR). They delivered it via 3rd party transport service. I had some questions after receiving and the salesman that helped me was impossible to get ahold of and their service department was no better. I wish I would have read the litany of bad reviews on Google before purchasing from them... once they sell the unit, they really could care less about helping you. I strongly advise against using them unless you are fully aware they will not help you after the sale.
You have confirmed what I was suspicioning from the demeanor in talking with the Parris salesmen. As it turned out, here in Colorado Springs we now have a new MDC USA store that is only selling their brand. They have lots of units and obviously is not a sideline brand they are handling as they have no other brands. We really liked the AusRV X13 in terms of its slightly different layout and storage space relative to the Dweller 13. Plus, their after purchase support is top-notch. Very happy. I will still be watching this excellent forum thread as I have learned so much and much of what is here is somewhat applicable the the X13. Thanks everyone!

glennsmith15

Not sure if it's been brought up on the forum but one thing I like with the UEV Conqueror is the positive pressure system to keep dust/dirt out. (5:40 mark in video)
Has anyone put thought or effort into doing this?

That is the one Item the I wish Kimberley came with
Positive pressure system is still a standard item on all of the Kimberley Karavans. I think you have a Kruiser on the way? Kinda surprised they don't offer the system on the Kruisers, or at least as an option since they already have the systems in house.

Has anyone installed an inside sink or fridge on the D15 ? I have a sink but was hoping someone could share a pic of how the water lines and drain was hooked up, guessing it's just shared with the bathroom drain but not sure what parts I need to buy.

Also if anyone knows what size fridge would fit well or had a recommendation for the passenger upper closet with the coat rack that's probably where I may add a small inside fridge to hold a few things that are easy to grab if I'm cooking inside in a pinch. Not sure if I'm going to utilize the whole space yet or a smaller one that fits inside the cabinet.

WillySwan

Has anyone installed an inside sink or fridge on the D15 ? I have a sink but was hoping someone could share a pic of how the water lines and drain was hooked up, guessing it's just shared with the bathroom drain but not sure what parts I need to buy.
Some quick thoughts on installing a sink -

I have considered this modification, but I ended up deciding that for the few occasions when I need an indoor sink of doing dishes, or whatever, I will just use the ensuite sink.

I'm not sure of the layout differences of a D15 vs. a D13. On a D13, the natural location to install a sink is on the front counter next to the ensuite. Obviously, if you build the sink into the counter you will loose most/all of the top drawer storage. Plumbing access should be a simple matter of drilling the appropriate holes in the divider wall to gain access to the ensuite water and drain lines. There is plenty of room under the ensuite sink to access the water and drain lines.

I do not think the drain line will be any problem. It should be similar to what I did when I modified the drain on my outdoor sink. The challenge I see will be tying into the water lines. All of the pressure plumbing in the Dweller is "metric PEX" with 12mm OD x 9mm ID. I've done a lot of looking and the only US stocking source for potable water 12mm LLDPE pipe and 12mm fittings is Fresh Water Systems. They list having inventory of 12mm LLDPE and John Guest brand 12mm fittings.

The alternative for plumbing the water lines would be to convert from 12mm LLDPE to 3/8-inch PEX. The inside diameter should be nearly identical. 9mm = 0.354" and the listed ID for 3/8-inch PEX is 0.360". If those values are accurate, you should be able to use a barbed 3/8" PEX T-fitting under the ensuite sink to splice into the existing plumbing and finish out your sink install with 3/8" PEX. If I were to do this modification, this is the option I would pursue.

Last edited:
Yea, the D15 has plenty of storage space so that's not a worry for me and I'm getting a sink with a wood cutting board so won't loose a ton of counter space overall. The outside sink ends up being pretty tall for my wife and kids and I like having a place to prep food inside away from bugs etc then a cooking space so I think it would be worth the cons for us, washing dishes even in the outside sink can be challenging for bigger items due to the small faucet head.
Thanks for the heads up on the pex sizing, that's what I couldn't figure out and I am hoping your theory on the 3/8" pex works without special ordering parts. I wonder what ROA did on their sink install since they did a similar sink to what I'll be doing. I plan on using the sink and then I have a cheap single burner stand alone induction cook top from ikea I can use when I need it or a propane griddle too instead of a permanent inside cook top to save the larger counter from cutting holes.

Last edited:
Question about getting your tow vehicle to recognize the Dweller.

I've got a 2017 Range Rover. When I plug in my 20 year old utility trailer the vehicle "recognizes" that I have a trailer (alerts on the dash). But when I plug in the dweller, nothing.

I assume that the vehicle uses the resistance of the incandescent lights to sense the trailers plugged in. I've tried attaching resisters (6 ohm 50 watt) to the brake lights on the Dweller, but no luck. I've tried Curt adaptor that was supposed to solve the issue, no luck.

Has anyone had a similar issue getting their two vehicle to recognize the Dweller? Were you able to solve it? The Ranger Rover forums say that the resistors to the brake lights should work??

rblitz

Here are my measurements of the stock shock absorbers on the Dweller:
  • Compressed Length = ~12.25 inches
  • Extended Length = ~19.625 inches
  • Upper Mounting =
    • Loop Bushing & Sleeve Mount
    • 5/8" (16mm) Sleeve ID X 1-1/2" Sleeve OAL
  • Lower Mounting =
    • Loop Bushing & Sleeve Mount
    • 5/8" (16mm) Sleeve ID X 1-1/2" Sleeve OAL
I also have a “reasonable” model of the trailing arm suspension showing the locations of the various loads and reactions and the angle of the shocks. I do not have any estimate of the spring rate. I would think spring rate might be important for rebound valving but I’m not sure.

Don’t put a lot of effort into chasing leads at King or Icon on my behalf. If you have a contact, I would like to chat with them, but I’m not sure I will pursue a custom shock. I’ve got another thousand miles on my current set-up and it continues to do everything I need. I think if I went with a custom shock I would notice very little change from what I have now.

Regarding durability, time will tell. The Monroe 60 series commercial shocks are a quality product. They have a 35mm bore, a 16mm piston rod and a 2.25 inch reservoir housing. The quality of the bushing and sleeve on the end fittings are a vast improvement over the stock Dweller shock.

The Compaks suspension under the Dweller appears to be “very similar” to the Cruisemaster XT suspension. The Monroe shocks I’m running now are of similar specs to the G35 shock used on the XT suspension except the Monroe has a beefier piston rod (16mm vs. 14mm).
How much did you torque the shock bolts?

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Positive pressure system is still a standard item on all of the Kimberley Karavans. I think you have a Kruiser on the way? Kinda surprised they don't offer the system on the Kruisers, or at least as an option since they already have the systems in house.
I do have my S3, it was not a option, and does not have one. I did do a trip with a lot of dust and surprisingly, no internal dust. I still think it should have one.

rblitz

Upgraded Shock Absorbers/Tongue Wheel Jack

I replaced the original shock absorbers to the Monroe 66440's as WillySwan and gendlert described earlier in this thread. Pretty new to this kind of work but the installation went pretty smooth. I did not lift the camper, and had to spread the upper mounts a little bit. Kind of dry fit them before putting in the bolts. Shocks delivered to my home in 3 days via the Denver Broncos new ownership group, Walmart to most of you ($208.00). No time to test drive today.

Original Equipment:

View attachment 734696

New Monroe's:

View attachment 734697

And after beating up the original tongue wheel jack pretty good, it needed replaced. Seemed appropriate to upgrade that as well.

Original, Ark Series 500:

View attachment 734700

Comparison, Ark 500 vs. 750:

View attachment 734704

New, Ark Series 750 (250 more!!):

View attachment 734728
How much did you torque the shock bolts? Just ordered my shocks and plan on swapping out the factory ones in a week or two.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Question about getting your tow vehicle to recognize the Dweller.

I've got a 2017 Range Rover. When I plug in my 20 year old utility trailer the vehicle "recognizes" that I have a trailer (alerts on the dash). But when I plug in the dweller, nothing.

I assume that the vehicle uses the resistance of the incandescent lights to sense the trailers plugged in. I've tried attaching resisters (6 ohm 50 watt) to the brake lights on the Dweller, but no luck. I've tried Curt adaptor that was supposed to solve the issue, no luck.

Has anyone had a similar issue getting their two vehicle to recognize the Dweller? Were you able to solve it? The Ranger Rover forums say that the resistors to the brake lights should work??

Bernie so when you plug your 7 pin connector from your Dweller into your Range Rover your factory brake controller on the Rover doesn't register that a trailer is hitched and give you the option to set the brakes on the 1-10 braking level? But if you plug into a different trailer it does? Have you tried plugging in your Dweller to a different vehicle? Maybe you have an aftermarket brake controller?

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Bernie so when you plug your 7 pin connector from your Dweller into your Range Rover your factory brake controller on the Rover doesn't register that a trailer is hitched and give you the option to set the brakes on the 1-10 braking level? But if you plug into a different trailer it does? Have you tried plugging in your Dweller to a different vehicle? Maybe you have an aftermarket brake controller?
Is it a electric/hydro brake set up on the trailer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven