Occupying time with domestic full-size trucks, travel and camping

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Ill use this for my "build thread"

My "main squeeze" is a 2007 C1500 HD. Yep, 2wd. 6.0,3.73s and G80. Gets me where I need to go.
This truck replaced my 99 K2500 (6.5,NV4500). An upgrade and a downgrade at the same time. A loss of 4wd, a long bed and fuel mileage of a 6.5, the new truck gained some much needed interior space (3 people including one in a rear facing baby seat with a manual transfer case and stick shift SUCKS!). My wife was getting sick of a stinky old dirty diesel.

IMG_20150502_162152093_HDR_zpslu3mj7ge.jpg

IMG_0290_zpskfxvoat4.jpg

image_zpscrfsdf6f.jpg

IMG_0285_zpsy5bhzvbk.jpg

IMG_0286_zpseoxmpigc.jpg

image_zpsh6hv0wbh.jpg

image_zpsnjy1bvl9.jpg

Last edited:

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
I wasn't too concerned about just having 2wd, I planned to keep the diesel for awhile as a back up, and my wife has a 4wd toyota matrix for daily driver/winter road trips.

Well, we have had 2 car seats for almost a year now and the toyota was getting pretty packed (and worn out), we replaced it with a '15 sierra crew, 6.5' bed. Ahh, nice having 4x4 again and low range. My wife loves the auto 4wd for winter driving. We still have the toyota but not sure what to do with it yet, either Ill DD it, or sell it.

Biggest issue with the matrix was fuel mileage, I added the flex fuel and it didn't seem any better. So I went ahead and added the duramax, it was still thirsty, 32mpg on highway usually, worst case 24mpg highway.

image_zpsk16ywwut.jpg

image_zps0w1epy6x.jpg

IMG_20150509_161500320_HDR_zpsfjuamtbp.jpg

IMG_20150509_153157508_zpshnuamrml.jpg

DSC_0270_zpswpg96g4u.jpg

DSC_0274_zpsjbekbugb.jpg

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Biggest issue with the matrix was fuel mileage, I added the flex fuel and it didn't seem any better. So I went ahead and added the duramax, it was still thirsty, 32mpg on highway usually, worst case 24mpg highway.
image_zpsk16ywwut.jpg
Maybe add a "hybrid" badge. That should lower your fuel consumption tremendously. :elkgrin:
Or you could go the other way and add a "HEMI" badge to give you more power. Lots of options out there. ;)

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
My (wife's) new truck quickly got a few add ons and some things removed

Removed tailgate emblems, 4x4 emblems from fenders, sierra emblems from doors (keeping kodiak emblems I think). Also removed front bumper lower valence.

Added firestone winter force tires (235/80R17). The truck had "upgraded" bridgestone dueller a/t LT tires Ive already sold, and Ill need to find summer tires soon. Also added a mexican blanket on the rear seat, 2 baby seats, weather tech floor mats front and rear and a husky liner centre hump liner, vent visors, rugged cover 2 tonneau, moulded GM mud flaps front and rear. The '16 trucks come with lower front bedside protectors, so I added those also- to cover the stone chips I already acquired. I bought some Iron cross HD side steps for Christmas, just waiting on the backordered brackets.

image_zpsmcjf0yyi.jpg

image_zpsq4ctbi8x.jpg

image_zpscvvvstvk.jpg

DSC_0277_zps3ew77idv.jpg

image_zpsqeppiucq.jpg

Before buying the Halfton, we tried a 2500. I didn't like it too much compared to my 2007. Put 5800km on it and gave it back.

image_zpsrx7jmgv0.jpg

DSC_0093_zpsjujjctck.jpg

DSC_0090_zpszdcxhok4.jpg

DSC_0033_zpssaxyti0q.jpg

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Thanks, Theres also an old duramax project hiding around here. Not certain how long Ill keep it for but it will likely turn into the vehicle I use to drag through the bush.

Its a really rough truck, both bedsides were pretty much flopping off, rear bumper looked like a banana, hitch was bent beyond belief, both fenders were rotten and twisted up, front bumper was torched for tire clearance and rad support mounts were folded up. All that stuff went in the scrap pile, plus a bunch more. There is a lot more not good going on with this truck, but Im slowly trying to make it good again.

Whats important about the Duramax project is initial $ investment, what Ive invested so far, and what Ill be using it for when complete. Im into the project for about $2500 total and some spare time so far. I wanted a Duramax, but didn't have the money that people wanted to buy into their problems, when this one came up I couldn't turn it down.
image_zps2d1e72a3.jpg

image_zps71c479d8.jpg

image_zps7cf9957a.jpg

image_zpsb1426215.jpg

image_zpsshxxswxi.jpg

image_zpskdubzuvo.jpg

image_zpschfeszyx.jpg

image_zpslhxxym6p.jpg

image_zpsenkbjbpa.jpg

image_zpssna9dzlv.jpg

image_zpsyck4qlpg.jpg

image_zpsii4cvezq.jpg

image_zpszudvwo6w.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow:Wow1:Mr Bushcoat what an incredible fleet of vehicles you have. Thanks for posting up. I always love to watch the progress on your builds. Cheers, Chilli...:)

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Ive been busy getting the winter toys ready, going to get some fishing in here soon. Love winter time, get to see so much more than summer, nearly everywhere is accessible. Antiques, or beaters, or whatever you want to call them...I can't justify spending the $10k + on ONE machine that everyone else around here seems to. So Ill stick to my old junk.

The 250's to me are an absolute blast. Usually more fun than that big tank 800.

image_zpsywuv9d7s.jpg

image_zpsj7fwm48t.jpg

image_zpsf16b8d43.jpg

image_zps694fce98.jpg

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
We've gotten a bit of snow over the past week or so. Yesterday I had some time to put on running boards and tailgate mat. Yes, i know I lose some ground clearance with the steps, but my wife is short and we still need to get little kids in and out. Not to mention rockers/door sills are really thin on these trucks, they easily dent/scratch/corrode so the less stepping on them, the better.

Spring is coming, I need to start figuring out new summer tires and wheels as well as making camper mounts for the blue and the bronze truck so when i find one, Im ready to just go pick it up.

image_zpsw0duarwx.jpg

image_zpsbgy1vhe3.jpg

image_zps11fswdxt.jpg

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Anyone with a '14-15 sierra/silverado, I would highly recommend these bed protectors. I paid under $30 for mine (per pair) from my friendly local GM dealer parts department. They come as standard equipment on the '16's.

After less than 2000km, I had 3 stone chips on my left side, none on the right so these should help.

image_zpsrpgcxqfj.jpg

image_zpsm3cobkfp.jpg

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I like the ski dos Bushcoat. You have to be ready for any kind of terain so I can see you are outfitted for both the snow and road. Good looking bodywork:Wow1: you have done. You certainly seem to be busy all the time.. Cheers Chilli...:):)

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Do you have any 99-06 parts trucks up there Bushcoat? Im looking for the harness that runs through the head liner for the mirror/over head console/dome lights/ 3rd brake. Cant seem to find one anywhere down here!
Im looking to add an over head console and autodim/temp/compass mirror to my base model Silverado.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Sorry C.O, don't have anything like that anymore. Used to have a lot of trucks out behind the garage when I lived in the bush, but now Im in the city Ive liquidated a lot. Still have some liquidating to do, thinking of making a move west again in the next 4-5 years.... see how things go.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
The white '15 2500HD really only made one trip, which was a great one. Destination - Colorado!
Leaving from here in Ontario, we crossed Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, then back into Minnesota and finally Ontario again. Was a 5800km trip of 10 days. Saw lots, missed lots too. Just did some EZ off pavement drives. Maybe we'll be back again this year :)

We try to go somewhere mid-end of sept every year for my daughter's birthday. Our 2015 trip to the mountains didn't disappoint. The colours and timing were great.

DSC_0148_zpszruhnvtl.jpg

DSC_0156_zpsrhgmxdwg.jpg

DSC_0140_zps6zpdhega.jpg

DSC_0157_zpssvd6jogl.jpg

DSC_0098_zpsk4cld1ko.jpg

DSC_0062_zps11tcne5e.jpg

DSC_0056_zpsivyxienb.jpg

DSC_0103_zpswb5dwgcj.jpg

DSC_0408_zps8igtofsy.jpg

DSC_0443_zpsb45jqywn.jpg

DSC_0026_zpszewrpd78.jpg

DSC_0123_zpsz4thcgvk.jpg

DSC_0174_zpszss3jujp.jpg

DSC_0185_zpsaagdmaul.jpg

The highlight of my trip across the prairies? This tiny home being towed by a motorhome that looked like it came from the salvage yard. maybe an insurance buy back? evidently, the front of the motorhome plowed something solid, probably a heard of cows or buffalo.

DSC_0320_zpsre3uruzk.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater