O'erlanderwagen build

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Went up to Ape Caves in Washington. Rainy day, lots of mud on the off-pavement.
_MG_2424_2-vi.jpg

This is after we went into what appeared like a small rain pond in the trail (it actually was up past the bottom of the doors and very rocky once we got into it);
_MG_2426_2-vi.jpg

Headed the back way on the way home, found snow at about 3500'. No one else on the roadway at that time = bliss;
_MG_2427_2-vi.jpg

Picked up a new Hutchinson cover on the way up there :elkgrin:;
_MG_2428_2-vi.jpg

Lots of great dispersed campsites up that way! This one even had a homemade outhouse;
_MG_2429_2-vi.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Did a Christmas tree run yesterday with some other rigs from NW Overland Society. I'm ducking as I type this; we even had a newer Dodge Minivan AWD on non-winter tires tag along(this non-overlanding family started the trip tradition with an overlanding family, and now we've all piled onto their tradition, so hence the minivan), it made it the entire way up, although it couldn't go exploring where we all went, but I was impressed how well it did in the snow up until that point.

At base camp where we built a fire, dogs run around, discharged some firearms, etc;
_MG_2436.jpg

Still found a bit of mud amidst snow;
_MG_2437.jpg

Found even more mud on the way home. Now this is the proper shade;
_MG_2438.jpg

As I may have mentioned, next up is more protection;
--f/r diff guards
--transfer case protection plate
--sliders w/ rocker protection

Then I'll probably do the big auxiliary light project. Been heeing and hawing about which to go with. Was set on Hella 4000's originally, but IPF's are looking more robust. I was incredibly impressed with their XT HID's at WA Overland Rally, but the price stings. For the same money I could get 4 halogen IPF's and re-wind my alternator...was planning on 6 aux lights altogether (2 on brush guard like the IPF dual beam, 4 on roof rack--I already prepped rack for them).
--LED's are too pricey for me and technology is still improving on pattern but super low draw
--HID's are less pricey and low draw and great output but on certain roads leading if there's any potential oncoming trail traffic, by the time they warm I may have to shut them off
--Halogen's are low cost and still decent output, there when you need them, but power suckers

Anyone have any wise feedback?

I run HID's on my motorcycle, they would be fine for you. Warm up time is seconds, usually. If you had to momentarily turn them off and then back on you'll get the majority of your light back.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I run HID's on my motorcycle, they would be fine for you. Warm up time is seconds, usually. If you had to momentarily turn them off and then back on you'll get the majority of your light back.

My experience with HID's is that full warmup time is usually like 5-10secs or so. Pretty quick yes.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks to our local epic stereo shop which also houses Tim who designs all of the brackets for Rigid Industries, I checked out some of their lights on Tim's amazing JK. Looks like I'll be going with a 50" E-series on my FrontRunner rack(nicely tucked inside the rack, in front of the RTT), set of D2 Dually's in rear, and 1 D2 Dually on each rear side, shining down towards the sides of the truck.

I'm also finalizing the details on some incredible new 7" bi-LED headlights. My standard H4 housings with the PIAA Night Tech bulbs are pretty good, but the light still gets sucked up at night in the rain. I'll be upgrading the headlights first, then the aux lights.

Custom front/rear diff covers are currently on hold. Still need to do something regarding sliders....and build the rear cargo platform.

Last edited:

krnnerdboy

Adventurer
Any drive-line issues or required modifications after the suspension lift? I'm happy to see a cleanly executed suspension lift on a late model G. Keep us posted.

Got done putting on my 40mm front and 30mm rear poly spacers from zimm and ran it through its paces on the highway and some trails. The alignment is fine with zero driveline/suspension noise or shimmying. In fact the most noticeable change was the solid isolated feeling I got from putting the spacers on top between the suspension/body. They're combined with my fox reservoir shocks for an amazing ride that feels more planted\german car feeling than ever. Makes my lc100 on ome nitro chargers feel like a boat.

Granted the loss in caster from the lift makes the steering slightly more sensitive at highway speeds, but still feels well within tolerances
zanupeda.jpg

nkladwig

I see you occasionally, mornings around 715 on Beaverton Hillsdale right at Target.
Good looking truck! Nice to see someone go a different route with a G-Wagen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal