O'erlanderwagen build

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
How did you secure the drawers back there? Were you able to secure it using the D rings in the cargo area? I know that FR says to drill holes in the wheel arches to secure the drawers to the G-Wagen.. not sure most with a 463 would want to drill to mount these.

And great build by the way! I've been following it for some time. :drool:

I'll post pics soon. It was a custom install, retaining the stock D rings yes. Very very happy with how the custom install turned out--IMHO better than the FR method.
Thank you! You're not Jon Sibal are you?

Capo

Happy Camper
Wow!!

This G 500 of yours is reaching a very high level of both show and serious off-road GO!

congatulations! I've been off line a while so I need to carefully go through all the interesting steps you've taken since last I looked.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks Capo!

Ok Jon, here's what we did.
Instead of using the FR wheelwell hump brackets(requiring drilling into the wells), Tony from Motorsports(my Hutchinson dealer friend, and also FrontRunner dealer friend) came up with a terrific idea; why not open the drawers and just bolt the drawer system right into the 4 factory D-ring holes, like I had done for my custom FR water jerry tank in LR and custom tire/wheel holder in RR?
So this is what Russ the fabricator(Racetech Fabrication) and I did, along with making custom steel spacers to help keep the entire drawer system from shifting mid-flight.
With drawer pulled open, looking into "center" of pass drawer;
IMG_3120-vi.jpg

Looking between outside of pass drawer and RR wheelwell hump;
IMG_3119-vi.jpg

IMG_3121-vi.jpg

Current setup for the NLPP, until we fab a right rear custom plate for it, on the way to NWOR here;
IMG_3122-vi.jpg

The drawer system turned out excellent. I still was able to retain the factory D-rings, and also my custom FR water jerry holder--which lines up almost perfectly with the top of the FR drawer system. A bit tricky how we got everything secured thru the factory D-rings since there is really no available space, but we like challenges.
We used it this past weekend at NWOR, and very seamless to open a drawer and access something vs have to move a bunch of stuff in order to get into a cargo trunk.

I also finally installed G-Wagen Accessories' aluminum diamond plate side steps. These are engineered to mount off of their rock slider skis, and are adjustable for depth into/away from the truck sills. Very straightforward install, terrific build quality as usual, well done Karl!!
I much prefer the look of the side of the truck now--with only the sliders, they drew your eye down to the ground and the truck honestly looked funky. Now the horizontal steps mate up with the flow of bumpers and arches. Plus they're very handy to step on for ladies when getting in the truck, trying to tuck the RTT fabric in, and they can help minimize body damage when sliding by larger rocks on the trail.
IMG_3093-vi.jpg

IMG_3094-vi.jpg

IMG_3095-vi.jpg

IMG_3096-vi.jpg

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
For those interested in the aesthetics, here's the evolution from the side...

Without factory rockers, cats/exhaust visible and more susceptible to damage;
IMG_1616-vi.jpg

With GWA rock sliders only;
IMG_1632-vi.jpg

With GWA rock sliders and side steps;
IMG_3096-vi.jpg

greynolds

Observer
Thanks Capo!

Instead of using the FR wheelwell hump brackets(requiring drilling into the wells), Tony from Motorsports(my Hutchinson dealer friend, and also FrontRunner dealer friend) came up with a terrific idea; why not open the drawers and just bolt the drawer system right into the 4 factory D-ring holes, like I had done for my custom FR water jerry tank in LR and custom tire/wheel holder in RR?
So this is what Russ the fabricator(Racetech Fabrication) and I did, along with making custom steel spacers to help keep the entire drawer system from shifting mid-flight.
Nice job!

Any idea of a good source for carpet like FR used on the top of the drawer unit? Why I ask is...

I'm in the process of building a platform (no drawers, just open space underneath) and am not happy with the carpet I have at the moment. What I have is some carpet I got from Parts Express that's intended for wrapping portable speakers and such and I'm not confident that it will hold up well.

The plan is to use a 3/4" sheet of plywood, install L-Track around all 4 edges and then another one down the center (front to back), and then install 1/4" sections of carpeted plywood to make for an almost perfectly level surface. I'll also install a vertical piece of 3/4" plywood (also carpeted) in the middle of the platform to give it plenty of support if I need to transport something heavy on top (or use it as a sleeping platform with the rear seats folded down). The platform would be held down to the factory tie down points using turnbuckles, unless I come up with a better solution.

I did a very rough first pass of just sitting a sheet of 3/4" plywood (wrapped in the carpet from Parts Express) on top of the wheel wells (no support in the middle) for my recent trip to Newfoundland as I didn't have time finish the job prior to the trip. It worked out great as we were able to stash smaller items, such as our camera tripods and other camera gear, under the shelf and then put bulkier items, such as duffel bags of clothes and our cooler, on top of the shelf.

I took delivery of the (brand new) G about a week before we left on the trip. I was able to put about 300 miles on before the trip and we added another 3300 over a 2 week period. Very happy with it so far.

SP Jon M3

Observer

Very cool! Thanks for the pics and details. Front runner should make this the default install method for the 463s. A couple more questions for you if you don't mind. How much space is between the seats and the back of the drawer system? Seems like a good spot to mount some ham radio equipment. Also, is the top of the drawer system flush with the seats when they are folded down (thinking of sleeping platform). Thanks again.
Jon

Capo

Happy Camper
Very cool! Thanks for the pics and details. Front runner should make this the default install method for the 463s. A couple more questions for you if you don't mind. How much space is between the seats and the back of the drawer system? Seems like a good spot to mount some ham radio equipment. Also, is the top of the drawer system flush with the seats when they are folded down (thinking of sleeping platform). Thanks again.
Jon

Very nice indeed, I'm definitely getting the drawers for my G55.

Jon, regarding sleeping platform, check out this link:

http://www.swissroombox.com/

I'm considering it for my G 55.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Nice job!

Any idea of a good source for carpet like FR used on the top of the drawer unit? Why I ask is...

I'm in the process of building a platform (no drawers, just open space underneath) and am not happy with the carpet I have at the moment. What I have is some carpet I got from Parts Express that's intended for wrapping portable speakers and such and I'm not confident that it will hold up well.

The plan is to use a 3/4" sheet of plywood, install L-Track around all 4 edges and then another one down the center (front to back), and then install 1/4" sections of carpeted plywood to make for an almost perfectly level surface. I'll also install a vertical piece of 3/4" plywood (also carpeted) in the middle of the platform to give it plenty of support if I need to transport something heavy on top (or use it as a sleeping platform with the rear seats folded down). The platform would be held down to the factory tie down points using turnbuckles, unless I come up with a better solution.

I did a very rough first pass of just sitting a sheet of 3/4" plywood (wrapped in the carpet from Parts Express) on top of the wheel wells (no support in the middle) for my recent trip to Newfoundland as I didn't have time finish the job prior to the trip. It worked out great as we were able to stash smaller items, such as our camera tripods and other camera gear, under the shelf and then put bulkier items, such as duffel bags of clothes and our cooler, on top of the shelf.

I took delivery of the (brand new) G about a week before we left on the trip. I was able to put about 300 miles on before the trip and we added another 3300 over a 2 week period. Very happy with it so far.

Sorry, I don't have a good carpet source. A reliable upholstery shop would.

I like your L-Track idea.

Congrats on the new G, enjoy it!!!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Jon

I agree Jon.

~5" or so in my configuration. My Cleanwaste porta potti will barely(not) fit in this area.
I've put my RUD Grip 4x4 chain sets back there, as well as 1 of the FR camp chairs.

Yes, ~12" off the floor. I believe FR thought of this--I'd assume most people would put the drawer system closer to the rear seat, but I wanted as much space as possible between rear of seats and drawers, for gear...also, the drawer system has to be close to the cargo door in order for the custom mounting holes to line up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad