Off Road / RTT Trailer Build

Jeepin503

I am new to this forum and I have been watching some build threads so I thought I would start one of my own.

Like many others, we can't fit all of our gear plus the dogs and the family in the jeep. So, I decided to build a trailer. Going to give a shout out to tte30m3 for inspiring this trailer's design. (y)

Started accumulating parts. I picked up some wheels and tires for cheap to get me through the build. When I get new tires I will match the trailer wheels and tires to what I am running on the Jeep. The axle is going to be about a foot too wide so we will trim that down and flip the seats to the top. Since I am moving the seats already, I will move them in to avoid running spacers on the wheels. May have to anyway to get the hub cap on... There will also be a Smittybilt Overlander XL RTT going on top of the trailer. The rectangular part of the box will match the closed footprint of that tent (48" x 76"). Rather than putting a tongue box on the front, it will just be built into the main box of the trailer.

Trailer Build Parts 1.JPG

Still working on getting my garage shop all setup so we loaded up the axle, springs and water tank and headed to my father in-law's shop. I will probably do most of the fab work there and then roll the trailer home to do all of the finish work, POR15/paint, and bed liner.

Sketched out the frame dimensions for the steel purchase.

Trailer Build Draw 1.JPG

Trailer Build Draw 2.JPG

Picked up the steel and started on the frame this weekend. I will update with photos later today or tomorrow.

Last edited:

Jeepin503

Cutting and laying out the frame.

DSC_0452.JPG

Measuring and aligning the tongue. It will be one solid piece of receiver steel all the way back to the boxed part of the frame. There will be a removable max coupler pinned into the end of it.

DSC_0465.JPG

IMG_4260.JPG

Squaring and leveling up the front box area.

DSC_0468.JPG

Jeepin503

Got the springs mounted. We will start on the axle Friday afternoon after work. Going to cut the axle exactly in half. Then we will trim off equal lengths on each side to get to the desired width. We will us a 1' long, 2" diameter, 3/16" wall tube to support the butt weld. Probably will use several plug welds in addition to make sure we are maximizing the support. I've never done this before so I will take some photos and post the results! I guess I could just buy an axle that is already cut to length but it would be more expensive than my current option and I wouldn't get to try something new!

IMG_4281.JPG
IMG_4282.JPG
DSC_0494.JPG

RogueWon

#werenotworthy sweet build, good sir ... might be a no-brainer for others but to me, adding the stabilizers early on is a genius move.

Jeepin503

#werenotworthy sweet build, good sir ... might be a no-brainer for others but to me, adding the stabilizers early on is a genius move.

Thank you! Getting the jacks on early has been very helpful. Probably take it for a little run around the block next weekend. Want to make sure it tows right before putting the sheet metal on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven