Off Road Squaredrop Build

GATORB8

Have you managed to get your 90 degrees corners bubble free with the fiberglass matt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Somewhat. I hit the outside corners with a round edge on the router which helped. Unfortunately the C veneer of the BCX splintered pretty good, and I had a hard time there.

I did an epoxy base, then set in the mat, then filled with taps from a chip brush.
The 90 degree folds (inside corners) at the floor line actually did pretty well that way, the outside corners were the hard part.

GATORB8

Two coats/bottles of Raptor. I like this stuff. Unfortunately one bottle did 95%, recoat is an hour, and new mix is 45 min.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 52

smike95

Somewhat. I hit the outside corners with a round edge on the router which helped. Unfortunately the C veneer of the BCX splintered pretty good, and I had a hard time there.

I did an epoxy base, then set in the mat, then filled with taps from a chip brush.
The 90 degree folds (inside corners) at the floor line actually did pretty well that way, the outside corners were the hard part.

That’s good. I had a ton of trouble when I did epoxy and fiberglass on my squaredrop. I found if you cut the fiberglass strips on a 45 degree bias, it lays perfectly. May have been the fiberglass I was using, it was my first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GATORB8

She’s coming along. Raptored the underfloor storage and and tongue. Drilled out the mounts and installed 3/8-16 rivnuts.

decided on the Bodega upright 12V fridge since the galley will be so high.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 44

Teardropper

Walls baby!

That's always a huge corner to turn. You get to feast your eyeballs on what she's really going to look like.

How are you going to finish the interior? This would be a good time to address that. I do it before the walls go up, but it gives me the heebee-geebees to see folks apply the finish after the cabin is closed up.

Yba7N2s.jpg

Tony

GATORB8

That's always a huge corner to turn. You get to feast your eyeballs on what she's really going to look like.

How are you going to finish the interior? This would be a good time to address that. I do it before the walls go up, but it gives me the heebee-geebees to see folks apply the finish after the cabin is closed up.

Yba7N2s.jpg

Tony
I’ve got 1/4 for the inner face before the framings done, then I think we’re going to do a marine style fabric over a thin batt on 6” or so runs. Hard to describe. Inspired by a headboard, lol. Closest web shot I can find is this, but horizontal, fabric ship lap?:
1673741819366.jpeg

I certainly hear you, if it wasn’t segmented dry application, I definitely see what you’re saying. I’ll probably regret not prepping more, but I need some victories to keep me going. I’m getting in a mental block part of the project.
Edit for posterity. I’m surprised I’m hitting a “wall” here. The victory of standing the walls was huge, but after probably a conservative hundred hours of work (and another hundred + of research) I’m slowing down. @Teardropper although I really enjoyed learning to weld, I really see the value of outsourcing the chassis. Saves energy and drive for the woodwork.

Last edited:

GATORB8

Has anyone used the LED Maxxshade for in cabin lighting? Sufficient? I see a ton say recessed LEDs are way overpowered.

figured I’d do some small LED reading lights as well.

@Teardropper other than solar, porch lights and overhead/fan. Anything I’m really missing for in wall wiring rough. Was going to run several circuits under floor to run the galley.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Has anyone used the LED Maxxshade for in cabin lighting? Sufficient? I see a ton say recessed LEDs are way overpowered.

figured I’d do some small LED reading lights as well.

@Teardropper other than solar, porch lights and overhead/fan. Anything I’m really missing for in wall wiring rough. Was going to run several circuits under floor to run the galley.
Charging ports for laptop, phones, toys, radios, etc.
For low lighting, I'm considering LED candles, they look like a flame or stead glow, they can be hooked to a charger as well.

Might consider all wiring to run inside or in a chase or small PVC pipe/conduit, sealed to your fuse box and outlets. Wiring may get snagged or critters might chew them.

You may want a power outlet outside with wiring from the inside.

GATORB8

Also. There are two styles of Milliard mattresses. Trifold or the one with the last section split in two. I’m trying to envision how they work. Is one the way to go?

only one of them was waterproof. Think it was the trifold.

GATORB8

Charging ports for laptop, phones, toys, radios, etc.
For low lighting, I'm considering LED candles, they look like a flame or stead glow, they can be hooked to a charger as well.

Might consider all wiring to run inside or in a chase or small PVC pipe/conduit, sealed to your fuse box and outlets. Wiring may get snagged or critters might chew them.

You may want a power outlet outside with wiring from the inside.
Was thinking getting reading lights with built in USB, then running a full set in the bulkhead with outlets in the cabin cabinets and galley.

The 45* cut in rear gives me a chase, so figured I’d to the water and power exterior ports there.

Teardropper

@Teardropper other than solar, porch lights and overhead/fan. Anything I’m really missing for in-wall wiring rough

Make sure you install USB outlets where you'll park your phone(s) at night.

9Z3yUP0.png

I also have two 12-volt outlets at the foot of the bed. One side has a two-port USB plug for charging a drone or whatever. I plug a USB-C plug into the other side when I want to charge my computer.

Bpi41M2.jpg

You can see it under the shelf, over by the wall.

Tony

GATORB8

Taking the night off (Mondays are rough), but cornered my wife into spending an hour doing some finish planning and layout. She’s watching Robin Williams RV movie while I grill dinner, I must say it’s hilarious.

Her current direction/confirmation is foam backed RV headliner (looks like sailrite is a good source). In a whiteish color. Black vinyl interior trim, and light maple for the cabinets with a TBD counter top, probably metal.

A lot of inspiration from BRX’s interior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal