Off Road Squaredrop Build

GATORB8

H2O Update

So I attempted to cancel the Ironman tank over Christmas via email (phones weren't open and no way to do it online), and received what I thought was a confirmation email. Then.... I got the shipment confirmation today.

Fortunately, I think I finally might have figured out how to make it work, fitting it in the frame opening was what was screwing me up. I'm going to drop it to basically hang it directly under the frame. This will give me the 2" to play with for plumbing on top, and the ability to locate the plumbing in the kitchen bulkhead.

There's a slight chance I could make it fit longitudinally, allowing for two 13 gallon tanks, but that will basically run all the way to the rear of the frame, and with no dimensions I'm not sure the fill will clear the rear crossmember, and it will move the weight rearward and I'm not sure I'll have the weight to counterbalance and get the tongue heavy enough. Another option would be running a tank in front and in back of the Timbren crossmember. It gets here this weekend, so I'll be able to play with it and mock it up in person.

Electrical

I've been trying to take advantage of some of the year end sales. I did not think I would end up going Lifepo4, but found a deal I felt ended up being closer to the cost of AGM (at least using the 50% DoD rule).

I had been looking closely at Renogy and was thinking I'd go with their 200AH AGM originally (https://www.renogy.com/deep-cycle-agm-battery-12-volt-200ah/) figuring realistically I'd be able to get closer to 75-80% DoD. After more and more research (I'm sure I've barely scratched the surface) I ran into some recommendations for Ampere Time lithium batteries. Ampere Time has been rebranded as LiTime, and during the year end sales, I decided to go ahead and pick up a pair of 100AH Lifepo4's from them at $300 a pop. Adhering to the 50% DoD rule, a single one of these 100 AH Lithiums is equivalent to the 200AH AGM, and is actually $60 cheaper than the Renogy AGM (at least for the battery). Used their Amazon store since I trust it more. https://www.litime.com/products/litime-12v-100ah-lithium-lifepo4-battery

Of course Lithium does change a few other things. I'll need to control the battery box temperature (or not use it) below freezing, note these cheap batteries do not have low temp protection. I'm planning on a temp controlled tank heater or similar to make that work for cheap. Battery monitoring via voltage is no longer possible (kind of inaccurate for SLA's anyway), couldn't find anything competitive with the Renogy Monitor for sub $100-150, so I went ahead and ordered their 500 amp monitor/shunt for $75 https://www.renogy.com/500a-battery-monitor-with-shunt/.

Shore Charging: I've decided that the NOCO Genpro10x1 I have already is going to be sub-par for this setup. I may as well crank up the juice since I can. That sale is over, but the NOCO Genpro 10x3 (30 Amp) is actually a good deal and is the same price as their 20 amp unit on Amazon for $230.

Here's my delimma, Renogy has a combo ATS/Inverter/Charger on sale right now for right at $600. https://www.renogy.com/2000w-12v-pure-sine-wave-inverter-charger-w-lcd-display/. This will be tough to beat, compare to the less powerful NOCO for $230 + a decent 2000W Pur Sine for $370, you get the remote and an ATS (Normally $100+) included. Two issues with it, first it's massive, second the damn thing only works to 104* F. What happens in the desert, I guess I could make the tongue box an ice cooler for it, but that's not a great solution for boondocking.

I know I'll need a pure sine inverter to future proof this thing with thoughts of remote work with laptops and starlink, but I'm pretty sure I could get by with a smaller inverter for that. To accurately size an inverter I need to figure out one more thing...

HVAC

Geese, this is way tougher than just googling a 12V AC, unfortunately. Could use some input here, between living in the south, a love for the desert, and my inability to comfortably sleep at temp extremes, I WANT AC.

1. ClimateRight has an interesting solution, but they've decided to put it on potentially permanent hold:
1672255182966.png
Plus the power issues I mention next as it's similar in draw.

2. Window Shaker on a PSW Inverter. Of course this will take some design work and will most likely end up ugly as hell. Looks like I'm looking in the 425 W range plus inverter inefficiency, so something like 40 AMP load for only the AC which means I need more battery and a ton of solar if I ever want to use it off grid. Or use a generator which I hate to do camping.

3. DC Portables. Looks like the options are the Zero Breeze at $1k + a 24V converter, or the EcoFlow Wave which is more powerful at $1,500. The Zero Breeze is probably in the lead right now, with 240W should be reasonably sustainable with a couple hundred watts of solar.

4. 12V Rooftop. Seem to be overpowered and extremely expensive.

Teardropper

I did not think I would end up going Lifepo4, but

Lithium batteries have certainly jumped ahead of AGMs from where they were priced four years ago. I've got a Vmax AGM (with 35 usable AH) in my teardrop that I paid $220 for. This summer, I bought a 50AH Weize for a trolling motor for $200.

Some folks are installing thermostat-controlled heating pads under lithium batteries so they can charge in cold weather.

I can't share any knowledge of AC other than to hit the desert during the shoulder seasons... o_O You can't really do much when it's brutal hot anywho.

Zc71Vbb.jpg

Tony

GATORB8

So close to rolling. Disassembly and final coat tonight, roller tomorrow fingers crossed.

Then the damn woodwork starts.

Need To roll it out and clean my disgusting garage.

Attachments

• B5C081B2-3943-4186-A253-2F24B18ECAC6.jpeg
    B5C081B2-3943-4186-A253-2F24B18ECAC6.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 60

billiebob

So close to rolling. Disassembly and final coat tonight, roller tomorrow fingers crossed.

Then the damn woodwork starts.

Need To roll it out and clean my disgusting garage.
I love yer sawhorses. I have 6 of them. Definitely one of those best buys, I use them all the time.

GATORB8

So, looks like the Ironman tank did get canceled, I guess, it shows it’s still at the pick up location. Ordered a 30 gallon from Class A Customs.

Decided to move to woodwork while I’m waiting on a couple underfloor components. @Teardropper your book has been a great reference, I’m sure you’ll recognize some things.

Decided to do an 8” underfloor storage compartment in the second frame bay. I’ll glass it in underneath and skid it.

Any thoughts on skid thickness?

New orders:
1. RV Outlet 30-36 square bottom door pair (eBay)
2. Renogy 2000W PSW Inverter/Charger (returning both Nocos), flexible panels 2x100w, 30 Amp MPPT
3. Bodega Upright 12V fridge (the galley will be too tall for my wife to reach into a chest style)
4.Class A Customs 30 gallon fresh water tank, plumbing, inlet.
5. 30’ of 8.5’ Arctic White Filon from Recpro

Attachments

• 445050ED-DB2F-46E9-95D5-5E5CECD3E5BB.jpeg
    445050ED-DB2F-46E9-95D5-5E5CECD3E5BB.jpeg
    939.5 KB · Views: 43

GATORB8

I went pretty far down the AC rabbit hole.

I’m going to halve to go out on a limb, unfortunately, and I may be completely wrong.

Every YouTube video is either a monster setup, or a guy sitting a window unit outside and plugging it in to a solar generator. I’ve yet to find any info on someone cooling a 35 sft/4’ tall space.

Here’s my current thought, basically all the options I listed are standard or worse efficiency. Window unit manufacturers are adopting the”inverter compressor” tech used in splits (basically a compressor that can operate at variable speeds instead of only max). I’m not going to crank an AC to 60, I just want the ability to knock off the heat.

LG has an unreleased model that has just earned the Energy Star Most Efficient for 2023. May wait for that and give it a shot, just have to design it into the build with no specs, lol.

Last edited:

GATORB8

Well crap, the Ironman tank just showed up. Guess that goes in the returns pile.

Will probably be slow going this week as I work on the floor. Flipped it and plugged the underfloor storage pocket holes (I’ve gone from waiting on paint to dry to waiting for glue to dry). Sand and maybe glass tomorrow depending on if I need to do some filling, the round over chewed up the BCX pretty good so may decide to do some filler work first. Then Raptor, I’ll have to find out the best prep there, don’t see this specific application in their docs.

@Teardropper, is there a size of router you recommend? Flush trimming the 1/2” BCX is already making my 1 hp Bosch smoke.

Attachments

• 2F157517-6C8F-46F5-997F-ECF6C57968E9.jpeg
    2F157517-6C8F-46F5-997F-ECF6C57968E9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 21

Teardropper

@Teardropper, is there a size of router you recommend? Flush trimming the 1/2” BCX is already making my 1 hp Bosch smoke.

I've got the Bosch 2.5 horse with the standard and plunge base. It's got more power than I'll ever need but it's clunky and the mechanics of the plunge base are poorly designed.

zQScam6.jpg

You'd be challenged to find something the Dewalt DW616 can't do. That's the one I would get if my Bosch headed south.

Tony

GATORB8

I've got the Bosch 2.5 horse with the standard and plunge base. It's got more power than I'll ever need but it's clunky and the mechanics of the plunge base are poorly designed.

zQScam6.jpg

You'd be challenged to find something the Dewalt DW616 can't do. That's the one I would get if my Bosch headed south.

Tony
Thanks! And it's on sale on Amazon, picked it up for $130 total.

GATORB8

First layer of epoxy on the bottom of the floor. Had just enough for a coat. I think I’ll mat in the storage to strengthen tomorrow with another coat. Then Raptor this weekend.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 36

GATORB8

Yuck, messing with the glass mat suuucks. Matted the seam and the under mount storage corner.

Attachments

• DED95899-5754-45C8-A46E-C9093661B256.jpeg
    DED95899-5754-45C8-A46E-C9093661B256.jpeg
    911.5 KB · Views: 31

smike95

Have you managed to get your 90 degrees corners bubble free with the fiberglass matt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal