Official OZTENT review

Lichen

Explorer
My RV3 arrived Friday. It only took 2 days to receive it. I set it up in the backyard and waited for the rain.
picture.php

After about 12 hours of rain, I found one small puddle inside. I'll apply some seam sealer.
picture.php

My only complaints are that it is a little small (I'd get an RV4 for two people) and I think that it will be a little warm for desert camping. But it was up and staked out in about 3 minutes.

cobound

Adventurer
Bump...

I've seriously been considering a RTT and trailer...this has be rethinking.

An RV5 w/ the side and front panels looks perfect for us. I already have a small utility trailer, which means I wouldn't have to get an off road trailer for the RTT...No pricier than an RTT.

I think the wife would be more comfy w/ this over another trailer too. I'll be looking really hard at these. I see familytentcamping.com has $100 off of the RV's right now!

Thanks for the great info, everyone!

B

andycwb

I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed review of the Oztent.

Great detail and information - did you write a follow up after living with the tent for a while?

Oh, and greetings from the other side of the pond :)

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

I have also looked into the Oztent and found it to be a very interesting design, especially the setup and take-down, way better than my Columbia "bugaboo". I presently sleep in the back of my truck and haul camping gear in a trailer but would like to do away with the trailer. I could build a cooking/storage section in the truck and then sleep in the Oztent.
An RV5 w/ the side and front panels looks perfect for me or when the family is along. I think the wife would be more comfortable with this setup; but she is not liking the price even when familytentcamping.com has $100 off of the tents right now! I was thinking of building a teardrop and have one about 1/2 done but this might be just as good and no trailer.

Pete Wilson

Oztent US
Randy McCauley - Director of Operations
866-917-4083
www.oztent.us

rsbmg

Observer
Bumping an old thread for some input now that you have all had your oztents for a few years. How are they holding up? Any complaints?

My main selling points are going to be how it has performed in heavy rains and in heavy winds.

Also I camp alot in the desert so soft sand always is an issue when trying to stake something down any thoughts?

tsarte

Yes, I'm curious too as how it will hold up in strong winds. I camp a lot in the desert area in San Diego and rest of Cailifornia.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Thread revival....

So how is everyone's oztent holding up? I'm about to purchase an RV-5 but am getting cold feet :eek:

XJINTX

Explorer
I bought my RV2 from a business in Colorado... now I guess defunct can't locate them. I LOVE my tent and use it all the time... when camping alone just me and my dog. I have an off road trailer and will add a RTT but for now I just toss the OZ on top and setup where I stop.

I do have an issue with the bag it comes in! The bag is still in good shape... it only sees the elements when on the trailer in route and all is stored inside the rest of the time. Bag and zipper sturdy... the straps are useless all have broken from like dry rot. The stiched part on bag still fine but all straps have broken. They break merely by grabbing to pickup.

I have emailed OZ sales twice with confirmed delivery and read receipts... no reply.

I am not asking for warranty or anything... just want to purchase another bag.

I guess I can take to a sail shop and see what they could so on for picking up and carrying.

Note: bags for front and side panels are fine same age and exposure just less weight I guess???

dcoy

Adventurer
JetTent by OZTENT

Thought I'd lend some feedback to this thread on a variation of the orginal OZTENT, the JetTent, that may be of some benefit as another option to the OP/anyone else who is OZTENT shopping. I've had mine for about a year and I am impressed with its quality and function. I purchased it as a compliment and expansion to the RTT, particularly for those in my family desiring a ground tent. Its main benefit relative to the OZTENT is it deploys to an ample height so basically anyone can stand without difficulty within the tent. Also, it is not as long as the OZTENT so there are more packing options. The main downside relative to the OZTENT is it appears to take a little extra time in takedown to fold the tent so it will fit in the bag. Also, I think it is important to have a clear idea where the tent (either the OZTENT or the JetTent) will be transported; I found mine to fit reasonably well on the side of the trailer box but its somewhat cumbersome to put on the roof and its too big to fit in the cargo area of either vehicle with the seats up. Finally, apparently all OZTENT products (JetTent and OZTENT) are made in China, although apparently with good quality and quality control.

Here is mine deployed (there is an awning on the opposite side and a rain fly; the tent without rainfly is billed as being good for most rain showers):

IMG_0151.jpg

YotaPilot

Adventurer
I have now officially joined the OzTent club. I ordered an RV3 this evening. I can't wait to get it and use it this summer. :sombrero:
For those who are looking to get one, they are currently on sale. Sale ends May 28th. I got my RV3 for $799, regularly $899.

huskyfargo

Adventurer
I bought mine in January, and I'm FINALLY gonna get to use it Memorial Day! I can't wait!!!

Unfortunately though, it's gonna be nearly 100*... YUCK!!!

dufferman

Great blog

Thanks for this excellent blog - all the photos are great. I just came across Oz Tents and am intrigued - this provided a lot of good information. I currently have a Springbar which I like, but this quick set-up and the accessories for enhancing the awning area seem really nice. I do a lot of camping with my son's Cub Scout Pack and like the idea of setting up a comfortable base camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad