Offroad Teardrop - SawTooth XL

Did you really use Google sketchup to design this?

I love all of the crafty add-ons going into this build. I extremely interested in the finished weight. I have a fair amount of woodworking skills and access to a large full woodworking shop and could easily create a teardrop for myself.

Currently I sleep in the XJ and have a decent setup comnig together for it, but if this trailer is light enough to pull over real trails, it would be a nice upgrade for "living" space.

stomperxj

Explorer
La, the first is a lap joint, you can do it with a dado blade on a table saw, or a router.

The second is a kreg pocket hole jig, about $20 and very handy, make sure you use the special screws.

Right on all accounts. I used a router for the lap joint and a Kreg pocket jig. Worth every cent...

I don't use the special screws however. I just use regular old drywall screws and they work fine...

Backwoods Rambler said:
Did you really use Google sketchup to design this? I love all of the crafty add-ons going into this build. I extremely interested in the finished weight. I have a fair amount of woodworking skills and access to a large full woodworking shop and could easily create a teardrop for myself.

Currently I sleep in the XJ and have a decent setup comnig together for it, but if this trailer is light enough to pull over real trails, it would be a nice upgrade for "living" space.

I used Autocad to do the design work and just rendered it in Sketchup but i have seen some pretty nice designs done in Sketchup. Just takes a little practice...

I am expecting the weight to come in around 750# with some gear. Fairly light compared to some of the all steel expedition type trailers.

Thanks for the comments guys...

I am expecting the weight to come in around 750# with some gear. Fairly light compared to some of the all steel expedition type trailers.

Thanks for the comments guys...

I downloaded Google Sketchup, it's pretty impressive and will take quite a bit of practice to render a decent model of the trailer. At least to the level that your AUTO CAD model is.

So how do you think the ridigity compares to a steel model?

Would you consider adding some addition steel framing if you build a 2nd one?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Wood actually has better stiffness/weight than steel. Theoretically, the wood trailer could be quite rigid if built right.

stomperxj

Explorer
Using the glue and screw method and building a torsion box makes this thing pretty darn stiff. I don't even have the exterior skin on it yet and I cant flex the walls at the top of the body at all. I plan on building another one after this one is done and I'll go all wood again for sure.

stomperxj

Explorer
So I have been saving loose change for some time and since I have no job and no money to buy materials I decided to cash in the change jar and buy some trailer stuff with it. It has been in the 70's the last few days so I figured why not...

This is what 15.5 lbs of change looks like. $170+ using a Coinstar machine. Plus I got a Lowes card so there was no 9% fee either...

ePYNS0U.jpg

Anyway - I bought a bunch of 5.2mm ply for the skin, all my hinges, skin for the door and a cam lock for the rear cargo door. I did some experimenting with kerf cutting the back side for the corners. I did about 2/3rds depth and 1/4" apart. Seems to work pretty good. I got the cam lock and the seal surface done for the cargo door. Also got the first piece of inside skin done.

ILMYvxo.jpg

HAVHjky.jpg

Bh63kEm.jpg

1dxXRAF.jpg

MtH0Jf1.jpg

Hopefully more this week...

Last edited:

stomperxj

Explorer
Way to be resourceful, you could have bought bendable plywood.

No one around here stocks bendable plywood that i know of...

Got more done the last couple days. Did some skin work on the hatch, made upper strut brackets, started on a door, made the latch for the rear cargo...

Anyway, blah blah blah... here's some pics

MtH0Jf1.jpg

PavDL8K.jpg

rammbc8.jpg

ATzjA8U.jpg

More later-

Last edited:

lowenbrau

Explorer
I figure it's about time for me to wade in and tell you how much I've enjoyed this build. I have no use or desire for a trailer such as this but I just love every post about this project. It has just been a pleasure to watch come together. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I don't know how much effort it would be to build another one, but that might be a good answer to the job question, no?

Box Rocket

I figure it's about time for me to wade in and tell you how much I've enjoyed this build. I have no use or desire for a trailer such as this but I just love every post about this project. It has just been a pleasure to watch come together. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Werd! x2

stomperxj

Explorer

Thanks LB :)

I don't know how much effort it would be to build another one, but that might be a good answer to the job question, no?

Well I'd love to just build trailers for a living but unfortunately I don't have enough money to finish this one yet. Plus with the horrible economy RVs are the last thing people buy I think... I'll definitely build more in the future though...

You got skill!!! Really like the attention to detail. I have never seen a camper of any kind built this well.

Thanks for all the good feedback guys. I really appreciate it...

stomperxj

Explorer
So I originally thought I'd build my doors from 1 1/8" plywood. I cut one out and then didn't like it too much, plus I had to change the way the door seals worked and how I was mounting the handles.... So I decided regular sandwich construction doors were in order. I also decided to just buy some hinges and bag the idea of making my own. They weren't turning out very nice. I got one door done the last day and a half or so. I used Titebond III and 1" staples.

TWLEYtG.jpg

lnxq5Uj.jpg

gW91ARM.jpg

rvnvJ5P.jpg

yrZ8nVu.jpg

RMWi9Sc.jpg

PEYUuxi.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member