Offroad Teardrop - SawTooth XL

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I know paint is expensive, but at this stage, why chance it. Spend extra time investigating your options.

All that beautiful work could be jepordized by coating failure. I'd make sure you get something that has some elasticity to it, just because it's going on wood. Between trail flex, expansion and contraction I'd chose carefully.

I had great luck with Rustoleum belive it or not, and I believe they can tint it to match damn near anything, but that was over FRP and metal. Also had great results form a single stage Spies-Hecker, and a coating called Endura, but not inexpensive. There are also great industrial coatings (from a convientional paint store) available, that I'm sure are more reasonably priced. Talk to a paint salesperson, or have them put you directly in touch with a supplier/manufacturer, they'll know their products and their capabilities. Are you spraying, applying by hand?...these are some varibles that may affect your choice also.

Remember to always do a compatibility test between primer and topcoat.

Best of luck, and always...great job!!

Pat

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
Oh man - looking great!

You might want to check out the paint they use on wooden boats. *EDIT* (DUH, you just said that!)
That paint sticks tenaciously to wood in a very dynamic environment. Not cheap though.

Keep up the good work.

BTW, you really should post more pics ;o)

Cheers,
Mark

DrMoab

Explorer
Thanks TDC for the compliments. The big attractions for me to this type of setup is that its completely weatherproof if the weather turns bad while camping, it extends the camping season into colder months because it is insulated and can be heated very easily, if i want to break camp and head out i can do so way faster than breaking down a tent

You know the biggest reason I like having a tent up off the ground (or a trailer like yours)?

It's the fact that I don't need a level, rock and scrub free place to park it for the night. If I get tired all I need to worry about is getting it level.

Loving the build...it's getting close.

stomperxj

Explorer
Got 2 coats of white on it and 2 coats of Rustoleum Bedliner on the bottom this weekend... I think 1 more coat of white should do it for now. The color will come later. Got the marker lights mounted and wired too...

bBadZuu.jpg

Jj95n3r.jpg

5WSzZ07.jpg

oGAN66K.jpg

More this week hopefully...

Jess

Last edited:

bucketosudz

Explorer
Looking Great Jess!! Thanks so much for the continued progression of your build. Those of us with envy can enjoy it vicariously through your updates. We all can't wait for you to be able to give it a maiden voyage. Keep up the good work. :victory:

MrBeast

Explorer
Man that this is going to be every bit as cool as the initial rendering, I know it has been a long road getting to where you are, I am glad you stuck it out and I am sure for you the end result is going to be worth it.

Keep the updates coming man! :victory:

idaxj97

Adventurer
man I cant belive your trailer build up that thing is sweet, would like to come by and see it some time im up in boise. :victory:

stomperxj

Explorer
man I cant belive your trailer build up that thing is sweet, would like to come by and see it some time im up in boise. :victory:

Send me a PM when you are headed this way... ;)

Small update...

Got 2 coats of white on it this last weekend and i sent all my metal stuff off to powder coat. Hopefully that stuff is done by tomorrow. I'd really like to start some final assembly. The body has been bolted down for the last time. All the bolts have been silly coned...

Here's a paint pic:

i7Os6pc.jpg

fFWRecM.jpg

Again, thanks for the encouragement and interest guys... :)

More after this weekend hopefully...

Jess

Last edited:

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
Send me a PM when you are headed this way... ;)

Small update...

Got 2 coats of white on it this last weekend and i sent all my metal stuff off to powder coat. Hopefully that stuff is done by tomorrow. I'd really like to start some final assembly. The body has been bolted down for the last time. All the bolts have been silly coned...

Here's a paint pic:

sm-00875.jpg

Again, thanks for the encouragement and interest guys... :)

More after this weekend hopefully...

Jess

Jess, awesome work. Love it. All the hard work and fabrication looks outstanding. Well done.

Trailpsycho

Observer
It really is awesome. You might want to consider a bedliner product, like Line-X, for the nose area below the break. It may take quite a bit of abuse on the road. Really outstanding..cant wait to see more pics.

Are there going to be any graphics? I know you have PC-ed accessories, such as the wheel wells yet to mount, but will there be any additional colors? Sorry, guess I am impatient. Have fun with the final assembly.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
It really is awesome. You might want to consider a bedliner product, like Line-X, for the nose area below the break. It may take quite a bit of abuse on the road. Really outstanding..cant wait to see more pics.

Are there going to be any graphics? I know you have PC-ed accessories, such as the wheel wells yet to mount, but will there be any additional colors? Sorry, guess I am impatient. Have fun with the final assembly.

Yea..you and 115,000 others...lol:wings:

stomperxj

Explorer
Thanks again for the compliments guys :)

3 coats of Rustoleum Marine topside paint are on, body is bolted down permanently, i got all my stuff back from powder coat, 2 coats of KILZ primer on the inside, roof vent is in, tail lights are wired, rear storage door is mounted, fenders are mounted....

Made some good progress the last few days... :)

1aGL9QF.jpg

ezUnlYe.jpg

UifF4TN.jpg

xhzFahq.jpg

ENdEKRv.jpg

I'm trying to get it sealed up by the weekend so Nicole and I can take our kids camping for the 4th. Lots left to do but I think its plausible... ;)

More later!

Jess

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven