Offroading in north’s. California with a trailer

Yossarian22

Hey folks,

Just had another thread going about finding the right trailer for my family, But I thought I would ask a more basic question.

We live in Northern California and while I expect we will go far and wide, I really want this trailer for making those three day weekends in the seiras or Laassen easier.

I have a fair bit of off-road experience and currently have a f150. I don’t expect to crawl over stuff that my truck can’t but I was thinking about the off roads in NorCal.

The fire roads and off roads tend to be tight and thin with brush overhead.

Anyone have experience around here that could give me some guidance on what would or would not be feasible? Black rock campground is light bumpy off-road so assume easy, but what about something like bowman lake where the track up gets rough for about a mile or two.

Thanks

Runmorun

Hey folks,

Just had another thread going about finding the right trailer for my family, But I thought I would ask a more basic question.

We live in Northern California and while I expect we will go far and wide, I really want this trailer for making those three day weekends in the seiras or Laassen easier.

I have a fair bit of off-road experience and currently have a f150. I don’t expect to crawl over stuff that my truck can’t but I was thinking about the off roads in NorCal.

The fire roads and off roads tend to be tight and thin with brush overhead.

Anyone have experience around here that could give me some guidance on what would or would not be feasible? Black rock campground is light bumpy off-road so assume easy, but what about something like bowman lake where the track up gets rough for about a mile or two.

Thanks

What part of Nor Cal are you in. I live in the foothills near Lincoln.

Yossarian22

I live in the Bay, but I get out everywhere from there. We tend to go mountains vs. beachy stuff. So Lasen, Seira's, stuf around Bucks lake, Bowmen lake if you know it, cherry lake.. There is always a mix of broader but rough forest roads and tighter stuff.

My big worry would be going somewhere and unable to turn around, which is not uncommon out here.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

I live in the Bay, but I get out everywhere from there. We tend to go mountains vs. beachy stuff. So Lasen, Seira's, stuf around Bucks lake, Bowmen lake if you know it, cherry lake.. There is always a mix of broader but rough forest roads and tighter stuff.

My big worry would be going somewhere and unable to turn around, which is not uncommon out here.

More reason not to go to big on your trailer.

Runmorun

Yeah the turnarounds are slim in the sierra.

I know those areas, most overland rigs can make it there. The UEV 14 likely would be totally fine or the NJSTAR I bought. I would try for under 10 ft tall and shorter than 20 ft total length of the trailer. You will want something that tracks close.

Yossarian22

Yeah the turnarounds are slim in the sierra.

I know those areas, most overland rigs can make it there. The UEV 14 likely would be totally fine or the NJSTAR I bought. I would try for under 10 ft tall and shorter than 20 ft total length of the trailer. You will want something that tracks close.
Thanks.. Appreciate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk