OK4WD Daily Driver / Overland Rubicon

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Wow I just spent like 4 hours catching and reading the whole thread. You have the perfect JKU and i will be contacting you soon about the rhino rack backbone system, in a few years hopefully Ill catch up to you with my JKU. Do you guys sell tire and wheel packages as well?

Appreciate the compliment! :) We sell everything you can think of that is 4x4 related since 1979! Feel free to contact myself if I can help you with anything.

carvebeast

Hi Rin,

New member of Expedition Portal, been lurking for a while. Just read through your entire build, one of the cleanest and most functional jeep builds i've seen. You should be quite proud!

I am about to dive into the RTT world and will be camping with my family so I am looking at one of the larger soft shell tent options (think Tepui Autana XL) for my JKU. I am a big fan of the Rhino Rack backbone system and have been going back and forth between the 3 crossbar system vs. pioneer platform. It seems like once I eventually have 4 people (2 adults and 2 young kids) + the weight of the tent itself I will be pushing the static limits of the 3 crossbar, but the pioneer shouldn't have an issue. Would you agree?

My question about the pioneer is whether I will need additional crossbars or other components to mount the tent or if it can bolt directly to the platform. Thanks so much for your help, I am looking to pull the trigger on a rack system soon and am definitely interested in getting a quote from you all if possible. I can PM you if that is best.

rino

Hi Rin,

New member of Expedition Portal, been lurking for a while. Just read through your entire build, one of the cleanest and most functional jeep builds i've seen. You should be quite proud!

I am about to dive into the RTT world and will be camping with my family so I am looking at one of the larger soft shell tent options (think Tepui Autana XL) for my JKU. I am a big fan of the Rhino Rack backbone system and have been going back and forth between the 3 crossbar system vs. pioneer platform. It seems like once I eventually have 4 people (2 adults and 2 young kids) + the weight of the tent itself I will be pushing the static limits of the 3 crossbar, but the pioneer shouldn't have an issue. Would you agree?

My question about the pioneer is whether I will need additional crossbars or other components to mount the tent or if it can bolt directly to the platform. Thanks so much for your help, I am looking to pull the trigger on a rack system soon and am definitely interested in getting a quote from you all if possible. I can PM you if that is best.

Thank you for the kind words :) Congrats on the expanding family and you have the right idea with going with the Rhino Rack Back Bone. The Pioneer Platform is great, but in your situation I would suggest the 3 bar. The 3 bar makes mounting soft shell tents easier and you will save around 50lbs of weight without the platform, which you will feel on the highway. Feel free to PM or email me anytime, I'm here to help.

carvebeast

Thank you for the kind words :) Congrats on the expanding family and you have the right idea with going with the Rhino Rack Back Bone. The Pioneer Platform is great, but in your situation I would suggest the 3 bar. The 3 bar makes mounting soft shell tents easier and you will save around 50lbs of weight without the platform, which you will feel on the highway. Feel free to PM or email me anytime, I'm here to help.

agreed, I would prefer the simplicity of the 3 crossbar system. Initially mis-read the static weight load rhino rack lists, 800lbs. will be plenty! I think I will go this route, I'll be in touch soon for a quote. Thanks!

rino

agreed, I would prefer the simplicity of the 3 crossbar system. Initially mis-read the static weight load rhino rack lists, 800lbs. will be plenty! I think I will go this route, I'll be in touch soon for a quote. Thanks!

No worries and sounds good!

rino

Found some time this week and built up a Rhino Rack platform fitted with an Alu-Cab Shadow Awning and my James Baroud RTT. This rack is 2" longer and 2" wider than the original AEV platform and allows enough room to clear the Shadow Awning with a James Baroud Explorer. :)

8A06810D-1237-4FA1-ACA1-36539ACDC192_zpsyc6fixjd.jpg

51DE937E-B043-402C-960A-E9B69444D6F0_zpskmpmuho8.jpg

269DA03C-AFEB-4D77-9F69-AB0E45DA925D_zps7t2cprzz.jpg

E8DDF9EB-BE05-4250-95F0-7C40CAAC94D6_zpsq698amvh.jpg

7FEA46DD-E721-4822-BBAD-46C023A0E1A8_zps3wsz69bt.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader

x2 :beer:

Hey Rin,

Does Alu-Cab make a right side mounting version for the Shadow Awning?

Really like this awning. :)

Edit...

Amazing what a person can find by just going to your website... Yep, right side configuration is available. :victory:

Last edited:

rino

x2 :beer:

Hey Rin,

Does Alu-Cab make a right side mounting version for the Shadow Awning?

Really like this awning. :)

Edit...

Amazing what a person can find by just going to your website... Yep, right side configuration is available. :victory:

Haha yes, we have both left and right hand. I suggest LHS for the JK though because of the right hand swing of the tailgate.

rino

One thing I didn't see on your site is the side panel kit. Do they still make that, and is it something you can get?

Yes sorry about that, we have a weird situation with AluCab where the production is struggling to meet the demand. Which has kept us from loading the site up for now, but that should be changing this winter.

rino

Upgraded my Goose Gear system to the new Camp Kitchen! So I have my "old" (>6 months) system up for grabs at 40% off!

9511808D-BE3A-4C46-83ED-971402EDBC30_zpstsfqxaq5.jpg

621FBBB0-AFA1-4D5D-8772-615EFB16A16B_zps5uraelih.jpg

Goose Gear 2015+ JKU Floor Plate $500 SOLD

Goose Gear ICE BOX Custom Black W/ Tembo Tusk Slide $1495 SOLD

Goose gear Double Drawer Custom Black SOLD

Feel free to p'm or post with any questions! Shipping Can be arranged along with combining this with other Goose Gear products to complete your system. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater