Old Farts Expedition - Baja - January 2016

ROKTAXI

Adventurer
Thought I'd start this thread to get pic's and info in the right posting area.

I headed back north from Bahia de Los Angeles on Dec. 31 and spent the night a friends home north of Puertocitos.

I got back home Jan. 2 about 10 pm. GREAT trip with a GREAT group.

It was a little breezy at times but overall temps were in the high 50's / low 60's. Have no idea what the water temp was.

Didn't get to see any whales.

No mishaps before I headed back north. No problems getting fuel other than waiting for one Pemex station to open in Gonzaga. My Jeep requires Diesel, so I had to do a little scouting to find where it was available in San Luis Gonzaga and Bahia de Los Angeles.

The rest of the group continued south to San Francisquito (and beyond).

This was my first trip back to Baja since the late '60's to the mid '70's. What a shock to see the changes. Roads where much improved since those days. Just the "road" from Puertocitos to Gonzaga was an *adventure* by itself back then.

IMG_0199.jpg

The rest of the pics can viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/48704243@N03/albums/72157663067764121

Click on the first picture (of the album) to scroll through the individual pictures.

Last edited:

1Louder

Explorer
Here are most of mine: https://flic.kr/s/aHsksiuCMb

23575313354_12bac21a31_o_d.jpg

24120958961_f108a609f0_o_d.jpg

24203560355_68300da85a_k_d.jpg

23576947133_6d45b1b228_o_d.jpg

Last edited:

cw90yj47

Observer
18 Days in Baja

I've been back since Wednesday late. Finally have a few minutes to give a trip report.

Those that have already reported. Covered the first week pretty well. I'll touch on the second, and third week.

I'll start with day 6. Wayne, and I left Bay of L A on New Years Day. Heading for Punta San Francisquito. Roughly 80 miles of secondary road (dirt). Would say the first 4 or 5 mile was pretty lumpy. After that, the road became not a bad backcountry road. The Desert Landscape was unsurpassed in natural beauty. Lots to see, and take in. We came into San Rafael at around noon. Saw a sign with an OlFarts on it. Thought maybe couple of the group might be camping their. Not to be. Found out later the Park had stayed a coupe of nights pryor. We got to meet Manuel. Who been living in San Rafael for the last thirty one years. By himself. Wonderful gentlemen. Well worth stopping. Beautiful beach. We continued on into San Franisquito. Where we meant up with Ace, Park, and Tom. The wind was howling, and the campo wasn't much. Remember this place is eighty plus miles from the nearest pavement. So where talking way out.........

Day 7. Wayne and I, reconnected with Park. Because we wanted to do a little more back road traveling. Ace, and Tom were heading more toward Mulege. So we ended up taking a side trip over to El Barril. To see what was over their. Come to find out. It's a small fishing town. Interesting part. Not many men were in town. Time of year.... Not much happing in the fish department. From their it was a long haul out to HWY 1. Took most of the day. When we hit the pavement. We back tracked to Guerrero Negro. Spent the night their.

Day 8 The three of us headed to Ojo De Liebre. Their a nice campo their, and we wanted to see the whales. Really nice day. So the plan was to go out on a boat early the next day. Had an english speaking guide lined up as well. ..

Day 9 Well it didn't happen for the Whale tour. The rain came early in the morning. We had plan on leaving after the tour. So we headed back out thru the Salt mines. What a mudd hole. Bad start for me. Went back into Gerro, and got the rigs washed up. Headed back out for more back country. Ended up in Bahia Asuncion. I stayed in a Campo in town, and Wayne, Park stay out on the north end of town by the beach. Small town. They do cater to tourist a little, but most of the locals fish, and trap for lobster, and crab.

Day 10 Was a beach day. We probably travelled sixty plus miles of nothing but sandy roads. Paralleling the Pacific Ocean. Got to a spot close to La Bocana. Decided to camp ot next to the Ocean. Lots of energry from the waves, and brisk windy air. Would like to comment here. Thinking we were pretty far out from population, and just people in general. The sad part was...... The beaches had trash everywhere. So to say that the area was pristine.....

Day 11 We continued south along the coast. making are way into Punta Abreojos. Again, mostly a fishing town. We were looking for a cafe to stop and have coffee. Nothing was open. We did meet one couple from Oregon, but for the most part. Not many Gringo's. From their, we headed back toward HWY 1. Onto San Ignacio. Really pretty Town. Beautiful Misson. Have a story. We came back from lunch. Two local Police were looking for us. Apparently. "Wayne, and I were in a red zone. Wasn't marked very clear, but none the less I gave them my License. They wrote me a parking ticket. The problem was. They weren't going to give me back my License until I go down to the station to pay for the ticket. Well the ticket was something lilke four hundred pesos($26.00). Anyway, Wayne negotiated it down to hundred pesos. From San Ignacio. I continue on down to Mulege. To meet up with Ace, and I thought maybe Tom would be their. Wayne, and Park were going out to Laguna San Ignacio.

Day 12-16 I had arrive late the day before. I found Ace, but know one else. He was camp at La Escondida. I also set-up my rig their as well. I ended up staying for five days. So I got to taste of the snowbirds life. Have to say not bad way to go. I got to hike, and bike a little while their. Tryed out Ace, and Wayne Kayaks. Not a big fan of kayaking. Did very little fishing, but did my share of drinking beer. lol Also got to meet quiet a few people from different parts of the world. That I really enjoyed.

Day 17 My last day at La Escondida. Got up early, was packed by eight thirty. Ready to head north. Took HWY 1 and crossed over to Gonzaga Bay, on up to San Felipe. Over four hundred miles. Stayed at Pete's Camp.

Day 18 Continued on up to Mexicali. Good road, and only four-five minute wait at the border crossing....

Great trip! Met some more Expedition Portal family..... Thats always good. Will post picture as well.

CW (cw90yj47)

ROKTAXI

Adventurer
Thanks for filling in some blanks since my post. El Niño added a little extra to the adventure.

I enjoyed the few days I had with you and the group.

cw90yj47

Observer
Thanks Guys for the comments,

Your right Frenchie. Between you, and the rest of the OlFarts. I might be catching up. lol Really missed you on this one. Just one night around the :campfire:, hearing some truism, would of completed this trip for me........

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I'll second that ^. Not the same without Frenchie.

I'd like to do more trip report but my signal is very slow here.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Now back on the good old USA. Crossed at Mexicali East and spent 45' in line just as others have reported. Was asked by US Customs if I was bringing anything back from Mexico. I thought I'd be a smart *** and say "a beard" but the agent did not look like he was having a good day so I kept quiet. I forgot to take anything to shave with so now have about 40 days of itchy growth. Can't wait to get a shave.

Looks like a major storm is blocking my trip north so I think I'll stay on Southern AZ until it passes. Maybe head to Parker to watch the Dam 425. I raced Parker twice back in the 70s so it will be like a homecoming. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454122470.844023.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454122495.643472.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454122513.643811.jpg

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
When traveling in Baja you often meet folks with pretty amazing stories. Here is one.

While staying at El Requezon Beach I met a young family from Canada. The husband's name was Johnny and he had quite a remarkable story. Many years ago he rode his mountain bike from BC to Cabo and stayed on the dirt through most of Baja. On his way north he stopped in La Paz and befriended an old sailor there. The old guy had been living on his boat but had gotten too weak to take care of it. He liked Johnny enough to sell him his boat if he promised to take good care of it. He sold the boat for a meager $500, enough to get the guy back home. Now this was not some old rag-bag sailboat either. So Johnny moved onto the boat. He returned to Baja every winter for eleven years and sailed it all over the Sea of Cortez. He quit the live aboard life and gave the boat to the person that took care of it when he was away. He returned to Canada and resumed a normal life, eventually starting a family. He didn't say how he made his living but somehow it keeps him on Craig's List a lot. He spotted an ad for a free sailboat. Skeptical he calls the seller and confirms its no scam. It was another case of an old man who had gotten ill and just wanted the boat gone. The only requirement was that Johnny use and maintain it the way the old guy had wanted to. I told Johnny he probably is the luckiest man I ever met.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I'm stuck bad. Not a good position for the trip leader to be in. We had just pulled into this very remote fishing village near sundown. I asked a local about camping and he pointed back to some dilapidated pulapas. Heading back there I took a short cut around some brush. Started bogging down in the sand so I jammed it in 4wd and turned down the slope to gain some speed. But as soon as I turned back up the truck dug into the frame. Shovels and Maxtrax came out and I was able to move maybe 20' before bogging down again. So I aired down to sand pressure and gave it one more valiant try. Made possibly 50' but as soon as I gave it any turn up hill it bogged in. Broke out the winches then. Tom got anchored up in the firmer sand and stretched his cable out and I also stretched mine out to connect with his. After a lengthy delay the pull finally began and soon I was back up on top and off the beach. The tide had been coming in and was almost to my rear tire before the winching began which had me very anxious. By then it was dark with a stiff wind blowing and getting cold. Everyone retreated to their camping units and we spent a very solitary New Years Eve. The next day we learned that the restaurant we had been told was closed was in fact open. It would have been a great NYE if we had know and gone in for a hot meal and celebrated. But we did go to the restaurant NYD and had a good meal. The side trip to San Fransquito was an adventure and what I had in mind when I planned this trip. The drive in was through some very beautiful country with just the right amount of challenging terrain. The roads out through El Arco not so much but overall a highly recommended diversion off the main roads. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454556535.416763.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454556595.485267.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454556639.971088.jpg

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I recrossed at Mexicali Jan 29. Then I spent some time waiting out a major storm to pass and the roads to get better. Learned that the Parker 425 was going off Feb 4-7 so I delayed my return to check it out. Time trials and the street fair with trucks on display was Thursday. Friday was contingency day and tech inspection. Also met the son and grandson of my racing partner from back in the 70s. Finally got home Saturday evening after 3594 miles and 46 days (35 in Baja).
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454885685.461080.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454885733.178836.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454885760.580544.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454885791.099976.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven