Old Junk vs. New Junk?

D

Deleted member 9101

F150 is our favorite. It stickers at $57k and it's just mind boggling how darn expensive it is, $40k maybe but $57k for a half ton truck without leather or a sun roof is crazy.

Stop looking at fancy trucks ...lol.

Also, I bet you could get that truck for 41k if you waited for rebates to hit.

We'll see how long we end up keeping it but after dumping around $3k in it hopefully it's a while. Even if we are dumping $3,000-$4,000 a year in it that's less than payments on a used truck with 100k on it.
3-4k a year pays for a new truck in less than 10 years.

barrelroll

You know NOBODY is paying $57k for that truck, right? That $57k "list price" is before they start adding in all the incentives, discounts, etc.

When I was shopping in August I had dealers left and right wanting to sell me a 2019 with all the options I wanted (SCREW, 3.5 EB/10 speed, 36 gallon tank, rear locker, tow package, and heated seats) for maybe $44k max.

I thought even THAT was too high so I shopped around and found a used 2018 with everything I wanted with 17,000 miles for under $35k. Less than a month later a buddy of mine bought pretty much the same truck in blue from the same dealer (Kenton Cars in American Fork, UT) for just over 35k except his truck only has 12,000 miles on it.

Yeah I know, the focus that's currently sitting at the dealer stickered for $25,400 and I got it for $17,400 out the door with taxes and fees, it was an '18 in January of '19 with 1,800 miles on it never titled demo. I basically paid 69% of sticker so in theory you could get this truck for $39-41k out the door especially since it's a '19 and I'm up to 1,300 miles on it. That's still a crazy amount of money.

Stop looking at fancy trucks ...lol.

Also, I bet you could get that truck for 41k if you waited for rebates to hit.

3-4k a year pays for a new truck in less than 10 years.
If the cheap daily driver wasn't in the dealer for warranty work or trying to kiss a deer I wouldn't have these loaner trucks. I've gotten the 2 f150's as loaners because I work in the mountains and need snow tires, awd, or 4wd to legally drive to/ from work depending on the weather in the winter. I mention that the car has snow tires so I can legally get to work and they magically find a 4wd loaner instead of a fiesta.

Yeah, screw that drag it out for ever, the current DD has a 63 month loan that will be paid off in less than 30 months. If the pickup doesn't need $3-4k in repairs a year that can go to a new truck fund which by that point a base model gas 3/4 ton will probably be $70k

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
After reading many comments perhaps this thread should be titled "Old iron vs New junk.
Earlier this week I read Ford and chevie
Recalling a million and a half trucks, didn't care enough to read why.
I hear they ride really nice though ?

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
After reading many comments perhaps this thread should be titled "Old iron vs New junk.

As I get ever more antique I find that it is increasingly difficult to change (optimize) power trains so I am becoming resigned to driving new junk instead of old Iron. Thirty years from now I don't expect any of the new vehicles to still be operational , in stock form.... Have had Jeeps (not fiats) , Fords and Chevies; IMO the only significant difference is the name on the can.

Enjoy!

85_Ranger4x4

I have heard Super Duties have a freeze on them for death wobble... so as far as ride goes your results may vary.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Honestly while I don't love my Tacoma I don't think it's really all that much different than the 1991 Pickup it replaced. I think perhaps the '91 was made a bit better from a workmanship standpoint and there's clearly a few things that Toyota "optimized" for weight (I think to meet crash testing and MPG regulation) and cost (although the 1991 was not built to be a Cadillac exactly). I think old iron means an FJ40 or Scout or even an early F250, something with body sheet metal thicker than the frame on my truck and a frame wall of 3/16". I had a 1956 Plymouth and a 1978 FJ40, I don't want to go back to olden days, but I do think "new" junk is overly complex and distracting with all the crap. But they're selling to a market full of bored children with 3 second attention spans so I don't necessarily blame the car companies for trying to make a profit in a highly regulated and fickle industry. Ultimately I think of my truck as a tool, it either works or it doesn't and I gotta admit I worked (and work) on the 1991 and 2008 a lot less than the 1978 so from a daily use/availability standpoint there's an appropriate amount of complexity that seems to me to work in my favor. I have less than zero interest in a carb anymore, for example.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
This seems like a "safe space" to rant for a moment about an old truck, my old truck.....I love my 97 GMC K2500 aka: Bubba. People not so much..... I just got home and noticed that some ************ clipped the rear bumper and lower rear bed causing a scratch and bent...Paint transfer indicates it was a small white car, most likely pulling into or out of a parking spot. No note. No business card, no nothing. I do hope it caused significant damage to their car.
The truck is still in great shape and lives in the mountains now. I've had this truck for over two decades. My son learned to drive in it. It went on every deer hunt for 20 years. It moved us cross country. It hauled toys and campers all over the Midwest and southwest. It's hauled everything from brush to lumber to rock to furniture to Boy Scouts to cadets and moved countless friends and family. Having a bad day, get in bubba, turn on the radio, roll down the windows and life is good. Etc....
Old trucks just have personality and become part of the family. Cheers. End of rant.

IMG_4413.JPG

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Old trucks just have personality and become part of the family.
To my wife and me the key is to own a vehicle long enough for it to go places with you when you accumulate experiences and develop it's own dents and idiosyncrasies. They all do. An unfamiliar bystander would see a dented rear fender on a fairly ordinary white Tacoma but I'm reminded of that time taking a poor line on Top Of The World last Cruise Moab on the now known to a select few as "The Marco Z Turn"...

85_Ranger4x4

This seems like a "safe space" to rant for a moment about an old truck, my old truck.....I love my 97 GMC K2500 aka: Bubba. People not so much..... I just got home and noticed that some ************ clipped the rear bumper and lower rear bed causing a scratch and bent...Paint transfer indicates it was a small white car, most likely pulling into or out of a parking spot. No note. No business card, no nothing. I do hope it caused significant damage to their car.
The truck is still in great shape and lives in the mountains now. I've had this truck for over two decades. My son learned to drive in it. It went on every deer hunt for 20 years. It moved us cross country. It hauled toys and campers all over the Midwest and southwest. It's hauled everything from brush to lumber to rock to furniture. It's moved countless friends and family. Having a bad day, get in bubba, turn on the radio, roll down the windows and life is good. Etc....
Old trucks just have personality and become part of the family. Cheers. End of rant.

View attachment 557157

Same.

I don't really get how the personality thing works, I have changed everything but the body and frame and is still the same rusty trusty little friend I have had for the last 19+ years.

shade

Honestly while I don't love my Tacoma I don't think it's really all that much different than the 1991 Pickup it replaced. I think perhaps the '91 was made a bit better from a workmanship standpoint and there's clearly a few things that Toyota "optimized" for weight (I think to meet crash testing and MPG regulation) and cost (although the 1991 was not built to be a Cadillac exactly). I think old iron means an FJ40 or Scout or even an early F250, something with body sheet metal thicker than the frame on my truck and a frame wall of 3/16". I had a 1956 Plymouth and a 1978 FJ40, I don't want to go back to olden days, but I do think "new" junk is overly complex and distracting with all the crap. But they're selling to a market full of bored children with 3 second attention spans so I don't necessarily blame the car companies for trying to make a profit in a highly regulated and fickle industry. Ultimately I think of my truck as a tool, it either works or it doesn't and I gotta admit I worked (and work) on the 1991 and 2008 a lot less than the 1978 so from a daily use/availability standpoint there's an appropriate amount of complexity that seems to me to work in my favor. I have less than zero interest in a carb anymore, for example.
TLDR

:) - Based on my experience with similar vehicles, I think that's a very good appraisal of the big picture.

Bama67

I'm not paying 35k for a truck thats 3 years old with 50,000 miles that I can buy brand new for 38k.

Last few trucks I bought new I travelled hundreds of miles to buy them, but have came out great when selling them for the next one, losing nothing or at most a couple thousand, all the while of enjoying a new truck for a couple years.

My 1996 Bronco is enough to remind me the good old days weren't as great as we remember.

My 2018 Ford F250 with the 6.2 is just gas and go, change oil every 7k.
Peace of mind with 3 kids with me is a great thing, especially in the middle of nowhere above treeline or something.

jtcym1149

Old truck that you've owned and cared for always wins. Buying something used there's always the risk the guy never cared for it and beat the piss out of it. Especially a 3/4 ton and above. It is a work truck. At least you're aware of what is going to break or wear out soon on something you've driven the last 75k miles. Also I'll put my old rusty truck deep into woods and brush to load firewood and if anyone whats to bully there way into my lane during rush hour I have no problem putting the old girl within mm of their Acura. A newer pristine ride and I lose all my male toxicity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven