OME vs ICON / Radflo

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
I have ICON Stage 1 and UCAs on my FJ. Everyone I talked to recommended ICON if the rig is your DD. Been two years now on and off road and I'm happy with the product. I have a DO front bumper with winch, RTT on full time, Tuffy drawer, and it handles loads great compared to the stock suspension. One great side effect of the change as well is the known problem with ABS lockup went away. I believe it has to do with the lack of nose dive from the new suspension that keeps that issue away. Good luck with whatever direction you go!

JLee

Adventurer
I have ICON Stage 1 and UCAs on my FJ. Everyone I talked to recommended ICON if the rig is your DD. Been two years now on and off road and I'm happy with the product. I have a DO front bumper with winch, RTT on full time, Tuffy drawer, and it handles loads great compared to the stock suspension. One great side effect of the change as well is the known problem with ABS lockup went away. I believe it has to do with the lack of nose dive from the new suspension that keeps that issue away. Good luck with whatever direction you go!

How much sustained high speed dirt road/etc stuff have you done? I was leaning towards buy-once-cry-once and just doing it all (extended travel, reservoirs, CDCV), but I am not sure what the crossover point is to where you want the reservoirs.

I don't have first hand experience, but keep in mind that as a twin tube design the OME Nitrochargers just can't dissipate heat like a monotube shock. And even further behind what a monotube with remote reservoir could do. OME claims to have designed to minimize fade, but I think if you are planning on sustained speed runs you'd be better served by monotubes with remotes.

That was my thought as well - just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

CYK

Adventurer
200 series cruiser outfitted with every part that icon currently makes for it. Resi with cdc valve up front, omega rears with ome 722 springs. Billet uca and rear billet links.

Prior I had ome rears with non resi icon fronts.

I run them on full soft with middling rebound on rear and it rides more plush than stock or the semi ome. Akin to a Lexus LS even saddled w stiff/heavy ten ply at tires. I'm in love.

The best experience thus far is icons post install service. Brad over there is super cool and always helpful even over text!

I've only run my current setup for 5k miles so I can't speak to longevity. I run these race parts as slee would call them understanding all these heim joints will be more maintenance. I'm willing to give up certain things to gain in other areas.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425451830.060743.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shibubba

I can give you my personal experience.

I have a 2013 Tacoma. I originally had OME suspension on the truck. I found it rode decent but when the shock "topped" out on full droop the clunking noise was eventually enough for me to ditch them. I'm not sure if that noise happens on fj cruisers but it is very common with tacomas.

I got king's and could not be happier. I just wish I did them first.

For the extra money the ride and the fact they are rebuildable makes it worth it to me

Hope that sorta helps.

JLee

Adventurer
Yeah, sounds like Icon is definitely the way to go. I will likely go with a ball joint UCA for ease of locating replacement parts outside of the country. Thanks guys!

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Aside from the lifts themselves. Do any of them require longer brake lines? I'm new to Tacomas and haven't seen much on having to extend brake lines. I just want to make sure.

Wolftaco

OME Vote of Confidence

You may have already decided on the Icons, but for what it's worth I would encourage you to consider OME. When I was trying to figure things out, I called over to ToyTec Lifts, who sell a **** ton of lifts for Toyota's. I asked what was the most reliable, and they told me that OME by far had the fewest waranty claims. He also asked me what bumper/armor do I plan to run. I told him ARB and he said that the OME 886 HD springs with Dakars Leaf Pack were designed with the ARB Bumper/Winch combo in mind. That was the deciding factor for me.:ylsmoke: I have had zero issues with this setup over a year now. It's worth noting, that I love how the suspension feels in overland mode - when the truck is loaded down with camping gear and extra gas.

JLee

Adventurer
You may have already decided on the Icons, but for what it's worth I would encourage you to consider OME. When I was trying to figure things out, I called over to ToyTec Lifts, who sell a **** ton of lifts for Toyota's. I asked what was the most reliable, and they told me that OME by far had the fewest waranty claims. He also asked me what bumper/armor do I plan to run. I told him ARB and he said that the OME 886 HD springs with Dakars Leaf Pack were designed with the ARB Bumper/Winch combo in mind. That was the deciding factor for me.:ylsmoke: I have had zero issues with this setup over a year now. It's worth noting, that I love how the suspension feels in overland mode - when the truck is loaded down with camping gear and extra gas.

I had Dakar/OME on my Tacoma - it was great, but I want high speed washboard/desert capability with my GX and I don't believe the OME shocks will handle that as well.

Wolftaco

I had Dakar/OME on my Tacoma - it was great, but I want high speed washboard/desert capability with my GX and I don't believe the OME shocks will handle that as well.

I can't speak to OME's high speed desert capability, but my experience with this setup traveling 50-60mph (top speed) on 1100mi on Trans Lab Highway washboard - carrying a few weeks worth of gear, the OME performed perfectly on my Tacoma. Does it gets any better? I Almost fell asleep it was so plush! To be fair, the trans lab is considered the loneliest highway on earth, so that prob contributed to the urge to :drool::coffeedrink: But I did get passed by a Ford Raptor like I was standing still! Came out of nowhere, must have been going 90+mph! Maybe that's what you mean by high speed? Sure OME is a little stiff when unloaded on the highway, not adjustable for carrying varried loads, plush for weekend wheeling, etc. but IMO the OME really shines on loaded expo stuff on the tacoma.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
OME shocks are great, and yes they don't fail often, but the difference between the Icon and OME can't even be compared, its like comparing my Focus to a GT2. I think the biggest difference to an average person would be that any good real 2.0 or 2.5 Icon, Fox, King etc. is your vehicle will handle the same way no matter how ruff or how hard you hammer you vehicle. Even a vehicle like a Sports mobile, the OME are played out after 45min on a ruff trail where a real 2.5 shock will feel the same. It is also nice that even though they are expensive, you can rebuild them, they will last a lifetime and you can valve them to your liking.

bat

Explorer
but the difference between the Icon and OME can't even be compared
I had the Icon (Donahoe) on my truck for 50k miles and had to have them rebuilt. I decided to go with the Ome 887 coils and nitro setup and for me the difference was not night and day. I find the Ome to be the same or maybe even better ride but I am not the go fast guy down roads. Adjusting is great but how many times are you going to do it with the right setup and rebuilding was a pain.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I had the Icon (Donahoe) on my truck for 50k miles and had to have them rebuilt. I decided to go with the Ome 887 coils and nitro setup and for me the difference was not night and day. I find the Ome to be the same or maybe even better ride but I am not the go fast guy down roads. Adjusting is great but how many times are you going to do it with the right setup and rebuilding was a pain.

Donahoe is going way way back. Icon is a whole different company nowadays. A lot of people confuse proper spring rate with what the shock is actually doing or what it could do. Even stock shocks work and there is certainly a cost vs. performance based on what a vehicle will be used for.

CJustin7

Adventurer
I run OME HD springs and love them. Not as harsh as you'd think when dry and feel even better with a full load of gear.

bat

Explorer
Icon is a whole different company nowadays
It might be but my coilover was the same spring rate and same body as a new Icon according to the builder.

Last edited:

Plano26

Great thread and excellent reviews on the lifts. I've decided to go with OME (light) (bit the bullet, YOLO! :wings:); I don't carry much gear with me on a daily basis. Plus, just stock bumpers and no winch (yet), this will be my first ever lift and I'm excited to see how my 14' 4Runner performs out on the trails and also loaded up with my equipment. Also, going to run Cooper S/T Maxx in 255/80/17 size; hopefully will reduce some rubbing I probably will have. Will post reviews once install is complete. Thanks again, great forum!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete

Members online