OME vs ICON / Radflo

new1andrey

Still cannot get a point. ICONs more expensive and need maintaining. To rebuild you need disassemble whole suspension. And it costs money and time. OME from other hand are cheaper, still reliable and can perform 30-40k easily without any extra effort. If they break, just replace with new one, still cheaper.

Watt maker

I'm on the fence like a few other folks on here about the next setup on my 4th gen 4runner. I run Icons on my 5th gen and the ride is top notch. Currently, I have about 40k on that setup and I haven't rebuilt them yet but probably will around 50k. The ride is perfect though.

I'm currently running 5100's with FJ springs on my 4th gen and that setup has about 100k on it and the ride has diminished pretty significantly over the last 10k or so. While I would love to run Icon on this 4runner as well, I'm looking for something a little cheaper. I'm thinking I may run Radflos in the front with heavier coils (I'm planning a full plate bumper) and Icon expo springs in the rear with either radflo or Fox shocks. OME stuff is a little cheaper but being non-rebuildable, I'm not sure it's worth it.

There are some other tempting options out there as well. Sonoran Steel has a good looking setup that uses 5100s. There's the 6112 Billies but at that price point, you might as well get a fully rebuildable CO.

NMBruce

Adventurer
Still cannot get a point. ICONs more expensive and need maintaining. To rebuild you need disassemble whole suspension. And it costs money and time. OME from other hand are cheaper, still reliable and can perform 30-40k easily without any extra effort. If they break, just replace with new one, still cheaper.

I have used OME on my 2013 Rubicon Unlimited and I liked them, but everyone I have talked to about the OME vs Bilstien vs Icon vs Radflo is that you can tell the difference in the ride between OME and the others and Icon and Radflo give the best rides.
Now I am driving a GX470 and so every inch of lift could make a difference when off road, I saw that in my Jeep from stock to the 2.5" Metalcloak lift and with the GX it will be even more important. The OME and Bilsteins say they go to 3" of lift but from what I have read it takes a top plate spacer for the OME and the Bilstiens will only go to 2.25-2.5". Plus there is no option for a longer travel suspension on the OME.
Price, yes the OME is less cost, from what I have been told, less ride, less travel, smaller shock, so that means less oil, less cooling, just less effective overall and about $650 less. Bilstiens are still in the running, but at around $550 less for the set up I want if I go with 5100 and not the 6112, then with the 6112 we are almost even in cost and again the 5100 are a smaller shock, 6112 about the 2.5 equal size. Now this pricing is based off the Radflo 2.5 extended travel from and the Metallic 2.0 long travel kit in the back, should I go with the 2.5 in the back, then thats about another +$250.
So if one of the Icons or Radflo break, you just replace it like the OME, just a little more cost, there is no difference there except the cost. Its what happens at 20k, 30k, 40k 50k or say you get to 60K miles and you want to rebuild your shocks, it $125 a shock, if you send it in to Radflo, same with Icon or maybe its something you can rebuild yourself at $60 a shock, so now are we cheaper or about the same cost when it comes time to replace the OME???? I don't know, but odds are that at 80k total miles the Radflo or icons will be riding a lot better. So this comes down to when will you rebuild your shocks, Icon recommends a smaller interval and Radflo is longer, but the Radflo guy said the most import thing is to keep the shaft clean and keep an eye on them for leaks.

Something that I know is that with the Raadflo, I should be rebuilding about every other spring/summer. I live about 1.5-2 hours from Ouray/Silverton and go camping or drive the trails up there about once a month (this year will be less due to S2000 function).

in the next month or so, I am adding a new stereo and putting on a rear bumper, skid plates (if I can get them in time) and a suspension system. So for me, cost is a factor, but more important is the ride and how the suspension system will do what I want and give me the lift I want. We might be talking apples to apples here, but there are a lot of different apples and some taste better than others.

new1andrey

I didn't have any of them, OME gives firmer ride. All kits I saw so far are levelling, and only OME offers kit with equal lift front and rear plus extra leaf if needed to compensate load in the bed. Building something from pieces heads to try-fail situation when you'll spend much more time and money at the end regardless component quality.
And shops around seem accessory sellers, were not able to help with complete suspension solution.
My experience in trophy rides shows, 2.5 lift and 33" tires for Tundra are enough to win competition.
Coming back to subjects, why do I want to rebuild shocks?

NMBruce

Adventurer
Why rebuildable means good? How often I need to disassemble suspension and become carless?

I didn't have any of them, OME gives firmer ride. All kits I saw so far are levelling, and only OME offers kit with equal lift front and rear plus extra leaf if needed to compensate load in the bed. Building something from pieces heads to try-fail situation when you'll spend much more time and money at the end regardless component quality.
And shops around seem accessory sellers, were not able to help with complete suspension solution.
My experience in trophy rides shows, 2.5 lift and 33" tires for Tundra are enough to win competition.
Coming back to subjects, why do I want to rebuild shocks?

now we are talking apples and something else, you are talking a Tacoma or other pickup. I am talking SUV and replacing a rear air bag system with coils and a lift kit that will level mine.

As to why would you want to rebuild a shock, because some people like doing it, some like that its is a better shock, nothing against OME, and because some people want the better ride and longer wheel travel. I doubt very many people rebuilding their shocks would "become careless".

I have yet to decide what I will put on my GX and the reason I asked my question about 2.5 vs 2.0 shocks on post #70.

birdmann

Observer
Ome is stiff. On everything I've ridden in. My wife's truck has Ome and I can't stand it. The shocks have no rebound control and their compression is abismal at best.

My truck on the other hand has iron man foam cell and icon 2.0's and in comparison mine is buttery smooth over stuff that my wife's truck is losing contact with the road. Mine and hers will be upgrading to the new foam cell pros very shortly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Jeff H

Adventurer
I love my Icon/DR 2.5s. I've run OME on Jeeps and I was very torn between the 2.5's and an OME setup. I bought mine well-used and rebuilt them myself and it wasn't very hard at all. Icon was very helpful with any questions I had in the process. Of course to rebuild them again there will be some downtime but I think its a worthwhile trade-off for how well they perform. I've tested them on washboard roads and the local Starbucks speed bumps and its amazing the difference. The front end soaks up the bumps like pillows; the rear Bilsteins 5125's, lets just say they are getting replaced soon. If you want the install it and forget it approach or aren't very handy with tools then OME is hard to beat. But Icon's are pretty solid if you want the ability to rebuild them.

NMBruce

Adventurer
found out a few more things, the Bilstien 5100 and OME shocks are 2.0" shock bodies, where the Icon & Radflo can be 2.0 or 2.5.
Not sure about the others, but Radflo recommend a 2.5 shock for 5000lbs - 7000lbs(?) vehicles.
I am not sure about the FJ or 4Runner, but my GX is close to that and I bet will be there with bumpers and gear.

NMBruce

Adventurer
today I ordered the Radflo 2.5 extended/long travel system from Metal Tech and trailing arms, Pan hard bar and a few other things

WillBeck

Adventurer
found out a few more things, the Bilstien 5100 and OME shocks are 2.0" shock bodies, where the Icon & Radflo can be 2.0 or 2.5.
Not sure about the others, but Radflo recommend a 2.5 shock for 5000lbs - 7000lbs(?) vehicles.
I am not sure about the FJ or 4Runner, but my GX is close to that and I bet will be there with bumpers and gear.

The OME's are not a 2.0. The bilsteins are close, but measured in mm. Another HUGE difference is that the Bilstein is mono tube, and the OME is twin tube. There is a massive performance difference between them.

NMBruce

Adventurer
The OME's are not a 2.0. The bilsteins are close, but measured in mm. Another HUGE difference is that the Bilstein is mono tube, and the OME is twin tube. There is a massive performance difference between them.

So what size are OME? As for performance difference, I guess it depends on the person. I heard from many that both are great and from others they are not.

I know OME use a 35mm (1.4") piston and a 1.6mm outer tube (LARGE BORE 35MM TWIN TUBE DESIGN - Allows greater oil volume for cooling and sustained valving performance and strong 1.6mm outer tube construction protects the vital internal components from damage.) from ARB information. Now the upper outer case might be larger than 2.0, but that only covers the shaft and the inter tube that house everything. Now the OME used for our 4runner, Fj and GX might be a little bigger, but I didn't find that. Now the new BP51, have a 51mm bore, or 2" bore, not sure what size the outer case is?

Bilstiens are a "46mm mono tube design" so about 1.8" tube, guessing they mean inside because it doesn't say? The 6112 Bilstiens use a 60mm piston, which is just under 2.4"

So from what I could find, the Bilstien 6112 are close in size to a Icon or Radflo 2.5 shock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete

Members online