OME vs ICON / Radflo

little_joe

Observer
Still cannot get a point. ICONs more expensive and need maintaining. To rebuild you need disassemble whole suspension. And it costs money and time. OME from other hand are cheaper, still reliable and can perform 30-40k easily without any extra effort. If they break, just replace with new one, still cheaper.

30-40k is 2 years here in the US, so every 2 years drop the coin on a new suspension? No thanks.

I kept the stock stuff from my GX, when rebuild time comes for my Radflo, I'll take an afternoon to swap in stock stuff + the free FJC rear springs I got, do the rebuild, and take an afternoon to reinstall. Hopefully this will just be every couple of years. On a 4x4 I plan to keep for the long haul, I come out ahead in time spent, money, and ride quality.

new1andrey

30-40k is 2 years here in the US, so every 2 years drop the coin on a new suspension? No thanks.

I kept the stock stuff from my GX, when rebuild time comes for my Radflo, I'll take an afternoon to swap in stock stuff + the free FJC rear springs I got, do the rebuild, and take an afternoon to reinstall. Hopefully this will just be every couple of years. On a 4x4 I plan to keep for the long haul, I come out ahead in time spent, money, and ride quality.
Again, why would somebody want to rebuild them? Reading through this thread I still don't understand why. Especially every 25k.

NMBruce

Adventurer
My friend who owns the shop where I will be installing my Radflo is get the equipment to rebuild shocks, since a lot of his customer have those types of shocks on their race/track cars, so it looks like for me it will be a day's work and a visit with a friend. So like little_joe, in the long run, I should come out ahead in time spent, money, ride quality and ability of my GX off road.

Last edited:

new1andrey

My friend who owns the shop where I will be installing my Radflo is get the equipment to rebuild shocks, since a lot of his customer have those types of shocks on their race/track cars, so it looks like for me it will be a day's work and a visit with a friend. So like little_joe, in the long run, I should come out ahead in time spent, money, ride quality and ability of my GX off road.
Good for you. Here I didn't find good shop where I'd trust owner.

NMBruce

Adventurer
Good for you. Here I didn't find good shop where I'd trust owner.

I think that can be one of the hardest things to do. I am lucky, I meet Curt back in 2003 at Texas World Speedway, he has a shop in north Houston and we have been friends ever since. He is the most honest mechanic I knon, I watched him talk people out of stuff because they did need it on their cars. For me it will be a 1.5 day drive to get there, but I will be able to visit some friends and do some work.

whec716

Observer
I think that can be one of the hardest things to do. I am lucky, I meet Curt back in 2003 at Texas World Speedway, he has a shop in north Houston and we have been friends ever since. He is the most honest mechanic I knon, I watched him talk people out of stuff because they did need it on their cars. For me it will be a 1.5 day drive to get there, but I will be able to visit some friends and do some work.

I'm in north Houston and would a reference for Curt. I'm looking for a local shop

NMBruce

Adventurer
PM sent,

the shop is

Track Time Performance
Suite E
6815 Theall Rd
Houston TX 77066
United States
(832) 286-4579

the shop is up off of HWY249 and FM1960.

WillBeck

Adventurer
So what size are OME? As for performance difference, I guess it depends on the person. I heard from many that both are great and from others they are not.

I know OME use a 35mm (1.4") piston and a 1.6mm outer tube (LARGE BORE 35MM TWIN TUBE DESIGN - Allows greater oil volume for cooling and sustained valving performance and strong 1.6mm outer tube construction protects the vital internal components from damage.) from ARB information. Now the upper outer case might be larger than 2.0, but that only covers the shaft and the inter tube that house everything. Now the OME used for our 4runner, Fj and GX might be a little bigger, but I didn't find that. Now the new BP51, have a 51mm bore, or 2" bore, not sure what size the outer case is?

Bilstiens are a "46mm mono tube design" so about 1.8" tube, guessing they mean inside because it doesn't say? The 6112 Bilstiens use a 60mm piston, which is just under 2.4"

So from what I could find, the Bilstien 6112 are close in size to a Icon or Radflo 2.5 shock.

Yeah, the outer dimensions od a 5100 are very close to a 2.0. Bilstein being a European country, is all metric. That's as close to a 2.0 as you'll see with them. Their 9100 series is comparable to a 2.5".

The 6112 is a strange combination of bigger piston, but non user serviceable, if I remember correctly.

There is nothing wrong with OME being twin tube, but the shocks are more likely to fade with heavy use, and the piston size just can't exert as much control on the shaft movement as a mono tube design, which is superior in every way.

You get what you pay for with shocks.

WillBeck

Adventurer
Again, why would somebody want to rebuild them? Reading through this thread I still don't understand why. Especially every 25k.

Superior performance, ride quality, and longevity. Rebuilding is really not difficult, and gives the shocks an unlimited lifespan.

2000m2

Observer
Quick update from my post a few pages back: I ended up buying the Radflo 2.5" kit a few months ago when MetalTech had a sale. They were very helpful in answering all of my questions. Went from a TRD/FJ swap to the new setup. It served us well for a few years and many miles but was skittish on washboard roads and would bottom out when loaded up. With the extra weight, the upgrade made sense, especially when on sale. The 2.5" kit appealed to me since there are no remote reservoirs and the size of the shocks should be more than adequate for our use. Overall impressions so far are great. I am loving the on-road feel, which I'd describe as "sporty" and off-road is greatly improved. The same washboard roads are much, much smoother feeling now. We just glide right over, feel no loss of traction and no bottoming out anymore. Great upgrade :).
Sorry I have no input on OME or ICON to add to the conversation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3