Open Top / Non Cab Trucks -- Your Bed Configurations?

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I'm looking for ideas on how to possibly set up my truck bed. I usually camp off the truck and/or tent it and like the accessibility/open visibility of an open top, so I'm not currently planning on a topper...

Storage wise, I will usually keep the tire under the rear but am planning on drilling a hole and welding a nut in the hole for spare tire storage when wheeling. I will probably keep a tool bag or two but this actually fits behind the seat.. But am investigating a tool box for the rear. And finally will need to carry fuel and probably a small cooler... And a high lift jack...

So that makes hte list to fit:
- spare tire
- high lift jack
- tools
- cooler and/or fridge
- possibly other misc storage

Any thoughts and/or photos I'm all ears -- thanks guys!

Last edited:

mrstang01

Adventurer
If you listed what your vehicle is, we might have a better idea of how to advise you.

It's not very clear, but I think you mean a pickup with no CAP instead of CAB, is this correct?

Thanks,

Michael

Paul R

Adventurer
This is for your new standard cab mini truck right?

There are tool boxes that go up for sale on KSL all the time I would watch for those you can usually pick up a pretty good deal there. FWIW I really disliked my old one that had 2 doors that opened on the sides if I were to get another one in the future I would make sure it was one that has the one hinged lid. I' sure that it is all a matter of preference, but I thought I would throw that out there.

Then you could mount the high-lift to either the bed side or the tool box.

I'm not sure the best way to mount fuel cans and cooler, I have always ratchet straped them down.

sami

Explorer
random stuff from my picture file, all from ExPo.. :)

I've always liked the look of a roof rack on a pickup.. it's an idea..

attachment.php

here's a great example of some organization..

DSC_0004.jpg

You can kind of see into the bed...

DSC00438.jpg

This guy looks ready for business

attachment.php

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
sami said:

attachment.php

Uh...well, that looks pretty salty, but (a) it puts the equipment where it will be difficult to get to, (b) it raises the CG of the vehicle and (c) it increases wind resistance which will hurt MPG (I know most people don't care about MPG but even if you're made of money, reduced MPG will hurt your range to refuel.)

If your bed isn't covered by a shell (mine is) I can't think of any good reason not to use it. Putting the stuff in the bed keeps it safe, secure, easy to access and out of the wind. Why wouldn't you want that?

Now a rack might make sense on a vehicle with a shell, but even then I'd explore some alternatives, for the reasons mentioned above.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
sami said:

attachment.php

Uh...well, that looks pretty salty, but (a) it puts the equipment where it will be difficult to get to, (b) it raises the CG of the vehicle and (c) it increases wind resistance which will hurt MPG (I know most people don't care about MPG but even if you're made of money, reduced MPG will hurt your range to refuel.)

If your bed isn't covered by a shell (mine is) I can't think of any good reason not to use it. Putting the stuff in the bed keeps it safe, secure, easy to access and out of the wind. Why wouldn't you want that?

Now a rack might make sense on a vehicle with a shell, but even then I'd explore some alternatives, for the reasons mentioned above.

BTW, I think the best setup is the one in the top picture with the Husky truck box. FWIW I had exactly the same box (single door hinged in the front) when I bought my Taco, except the box was shiny instead of black. Worked great but I wanted a shell so I sold it. Now that I'm getting a garage, I'm going to see if I can find a way to remove the shell when I don't need it and I'll want to put a truck box back in there.

sami

Explorer
Martinjmpr said:

salty? what?

notice i thought it LOOKS cool.. there's loads of guys on here with racks on their pickups.. majority have them on the shell however..

Martinjmpr said:

I agree, though it was not stated whether he has a shell or not.

Martinjmpr said:

Now that I'm getting a garage, I'm going to see if I can find a way to remove the shell when I don't need it and I'll want to put a truck box back in there.

I'd love to rig up a simple pully system to remove and store the top for my 4runner when the sun shiny days start.. :)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
sami said:
salty? what?

Salty: Looks cool but doesn't really work very well. Like having fog lights mounted on the roof of your vehicle (yes, I've seen this!)

I'd love to rig up a simple pully system to remove and store the top for my 4runner when the sun shiny days start. :)

I actually saw a system like that years ago but forgot the name of it. They sold it at a shop that sold me my last camper shell (Suburban Toppers in Denver.) I've just been googling to see if I can find it again. The system I'm thinking of uses some kind of simple, hand-cranked pulley to lift the topper off the back of the truck and suspend it up against the rafters.

I saw some (expensive!) electric motor versions but I think a simple hand pulley would be fine. It's not like you're going to be putting the topper on and taking it off every other day!

I like the idea of taking off the topper, both so you can move large/heavy objects (like motorcycles) and also so that you can avoid carrying unneccessary weight when you're just commuting to work.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Sorry guys, yes regular cab mini truck... Nice ideas, keep em coming! I like that first pic Sami!

I started messing around with it last night a little... I also forgot some sort of bicycle mount too if possible, but I think I actually have things flushed out pretty well. The bike mount, I was thinking of mocking up some faux rain gutters to mount thule bars to my bed tops... I have all the parts. But would prefer I suppose the bikes in the bed too for less wind resistance...

RHINO

Expedition Leader
cruiserhead i love pickup for the open bed, so much usefullness over our pigs in many ways but i'm not about to cut the back off my piggy....

i have a false floor in mine,, (think drawer) i load all my junk under it and still have a floor to stack even more stuff in and still have access to everything underneath, typically under goes all the stuff that stays like tools/parts/recovery ect.ect. on top goes the camping load, when i make camp and have most of the camping stuff out of the truck(because its set-up) i end up with a nice place to sleep under the stars but off the ground.

another thing have been thinking about is a bed box set-up like a tonneu cover hinged down the side, when at camp i could open the lid to the side and attach some legs for a sleeping platform and have the whole truckbed open like normal.

i'm always rattling around stuff in my head since i dont have to think much about work while at work:victory:

Bergger

Explorer
I've always kept my bed open. I don't like the lack of visibility that a topper creates. If security is not an issue then I much prefer the open bed. I also have a trailer that helps me in that dept. However when I travel light I do use the truck without the trailer and have not had any issues. I prefer to keep things simple. I have two large ammo cans bolted behind the wheel wells that are locked. They hold recovery gear and tools mostly. The Yakima Outdoorsman holds the Loadwarrior basket. I mounted it with u-bolts instead of the factory clamps. This way is sits about 6" lower and only rises above the roof line a few inches. In this I mounted my jack and shovel. I'll carry some other light/low profile gear up there if necessary. I also have a painted plywood floor I mount in the basket to provide my dog with some shade and weather protection. 90% of the time I keep the spare mounted in the stock location and have never damaged it. On a rare occasion I'll throw it in the bed and secure it with a rachet strap. This works just fine, is cheap and does not require drilling another hole. I also strap my spare fuel can to one of the bolted down ammo cans. Here is a picture of how the rack looks. I'll try to get a picture of the bed all set up.

View attachment 17784
View attachment 17785

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
funny you read my mind.. I have a full size rack from a Jeep over at CruiserOutfit's house that I've left there all winter.. Was about two seconds from making a second trip down there tonight to go grab it. I am strongly thinking about that, sort of "double decker" :)

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I started this thread on yota tech and someone posted this pic that I thought was cool. A little Baja-ish and I will again probably just mount the tire to the floor. But I thought it was cool nevertheless.. :)

8.jpg

keezer36

Adventurer
When considering a box, think about the value of the items you're gonna put in there. I originally bought a Delta. It was thin walled, had a cheap hook type latch with a mailbox lock and the lid didn't sit flat on the gasket.
On the rebound, I went to White Cap and (almost) bought a JoBox, believe it or not. While waiting in the parking lot, I'm looking at all the contractors coming and going. What do they have protecting their tools, WeatherGuard. They cost a good bit more, but your not just paying for the name. It's solid all around with a car door type latch.
Cost, $150 more than the Delta, very much worth it.

DSC00098.jpg

Hi-LiftJack002.jpg

7wt

Expedition Leader
I have been kicking around a ladder type subframe that would slide into my bed and be easily removable. This frame would be built around those black Rubbermaid Action Packers and have lash down points so they wouldn't slide around. The frame would also have a place for a CO2 tank and a shovel or a Hi-lift. When you go on a trip, just slide the ladder in place and load up with the Action Packers and ratchet down. Just an idea in my head, sorry no pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3