Open Top / Non Cab Trucks -- Your Bed Configurations?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
keezer36 said:
Hi-LiftJack002.jpg

What is your hi-lift mounted to? Aren't the boxes on the '05-up Tacos made of plastic? Does your hi-lift mount to a structural steel part inside the bed?

Have to say, that's a slick setup. Everything is where you can get it but also out of the way so you can carry stuff. After my garage goes in I'm pulling the shell off the truck and may look into some method of mounting stuff in there w/o the shell.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
CYI5: Nicely done. Where did you get your box?

Really like the way you did your gas and water cans, too. Accessible but also safe.

What do you keep in the box? Recovery gear? I assume the box is bolted to the bed?

keezer36

Adventurer
Martinjmpr said:
What is your hi-lift mounted to? Aren't the boxes on the '05-up Tacos made of plastic? Does your hi-lift mount to a structural steel part inside the bed?

Have to say, that's a slick setup. Everything is where you can get it but also out of the way so you can carry stuff. After my garage goes in I'm pulling the shell off the truck and may look into some method of mounting stuff in there w/o the shell.

The bed is 1/4" composite on the sides, 1/8" on the corrugated bottom and backwall. It's sturdy, it's no plastic bed like you might see in a Ford Ranger.
I do have flatbar on the backside connecting the two through bolts and of course the base is bolted to the metal corner.. The donut rests on the wheelwell and there's no slack side to side.
Here's a picture of the parts.
Hi-LiftJack001.jpg

CYi5

Explorer
Thanks guys. It's a chest from Lowe's actually I picked up second hand. The brand is Kobalt. Yea, I have recovery gear, air compressor, extra fluids, tie downs, nets, extra wood blocks for jacking, giant spot light, etc.

Yea the box is bolted through the bed, with 2 extra tap screws to make box removal not possible when it is locked.

The jerry/water cans just squeek between the box and the railing when empty. I'm not too concerned about extra means of securing them as their weight holds them in place.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
here is mine. I run a 37" chest toward the cab keeps my 2nd bat invertor compressor fuse block tools straps etc. Then I have 4 5 gal sceptor cans. one each side of the tail gate I have a large ammo box bolted in for spare parts,fluids, filters etc.

I run 2 action packers held into place with straps. all other light stuff goes on my cargo rack mounted to the thule xporter rack. things like paco pads duffel bags etc

rearincamp.jpg

loadedandready3.jpg

psychohawk

Observer
Nullifier, can the Thule rack be raised/lowered with gear? I'm thinking of a similar set up but was thinking about putting a RTT up there ... my interest is keeping the truck more aerodynamic when driving, hence lowering, but when I get to my destination, raising for easier bed access.

Thanks,
Carl

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I've been tweaking here and there, havn't come up with anything too "revolutionary" but it is decent and adequate... Will post up sometime in the next week/weekend as I prep for Cruise Moab!

1988ToyotaSR5

sami said:
salty? what?

notice i thought it LOOKS cool.. there's loads of guys on here with racks on their pickups.. majority have them on the shell however..

I agree, though it was not stated whether he has a shell or not.

I'd love to rig up a simple pully system to remove and store the top for my 4runner when the sun shiny days start.. :)

I guess I'll join in. My MPG calculates to be the same with or with out the Yakima rack. I have it on top for several reasons: 1 - I am 6'-6'' and have no trouble reaching what's on my rack. 2 - I don't access my jack or shovel that often so it is no bother. 3 - The bed of my truck was full wall to wall with 3 plastic storage boxes that are not only secure but weather tight. 4 - I think the rack and stuff looks just fine on top and I have no idea what salty is referring to.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17570&d=1207345802

Thanks,
1988ToyotaSR5
:av-7:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3