Opinion: best roof rack for the LC80, why?

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Other than my beloved 2200 Eezi-Awn atop my 80, I've never put a roof rack on it. Despite the greater wisdom here, I still prefer a roof rack carriage to a hitch tray.

I've always liked the looks of the ARB, and the new aluminum ones sound like they're much lighter. But there are lots of full-sized racks on the market. Which do you prefer and WHY?

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
The Australian Outback rack that AO put on the 100 series for SEMA is possibly the most amazing rack I've ever seen...it just keeps getting better. Excellent, absolutely bombproof mounting rails, sturdy as all get out, amazing utility and easy mounting of accessories....

I just can't say enough good things about it. No problems whatsoever.

-H-

hieronymus

Adventurer
I am in the process of selling my Frontrunner roofrack....why? I don't need it all the time and putting it on or taking it off is a pain in the *ss. Furthermore, any roofrack will start to make annoying rattles, squeaks or other noises at some point and this will get to you during a 10.000km trip for sure. So to cut things short, I bought two rhino bars...perfect!

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
The main reason I bought my Baja Rack was cause I could still drive the LC into the garage withe my lift and 295's. This rack was very reasonably priced, it had all the mountable accessories that I wanted, it has a very low profile which reduces wind resistance, I didn't have to remove the factory rack and worry about water intrusion, sunroof still has space to raise, it has a very high static weight capacity of around a thousand pounds I think, I use it as a platform for checking out the surf when parked at a distance, it weighs 60 lb. very light compared to its competitors, has 4 support legs rather than 3, RTT of various sizes will fit without modification to rack, and the install was very basic.
During our trip to Anza Borrego we carried our 8 ft. awning, 2 full 5 gallon fuel cans, 2 bundles of fire wood, spare tire, fire pit, shovel, 60" hi-lift, one packer of auto fluids and one of auto spares and recovery gear, our extra long duffle of all our gear, camping ground mat, and all associated mounts.

IMG_4793.jpg

This rack may not be the most popular LC rack out there or the best looking, but it performed to my expectations and provided a rattle free trip with minimal excess road / wind noise. I'm happy. :)

blupaddler

Conspirator
I personally say NO rack.
But knowing you have all those gremlins, the AO seems to be the best that I have seen.

I had a Kaymar Tradesman for a couple years that I ended up selling. Now the only rack I use is a Yakima or something to hold aquatic toys...
:sombrero:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
What do you need to haul? If it is just bikes, skis, etc, why not just go with a Thule or Yakima set that you can take on and off easy for when you need it?

I have a ConFer on my 80 and while fairly robust, it is a heavy pig. Once I get a new rear bumper and tire carrier for my 80 I think I am going to go back to running load bars for bikes and boats. I hear you about hauling bikes on the back, it sucks. They get caked with so much crap. On the last leg of my trip home KC and I crossed a bunch if Wyoming on muddy dirt roads, even with my bike hanging off the top of the truck that thing was in ugly shape afterwards. Baskets are handy though.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Mostly clothing containers, air beds, toy boxes, few tools, camping equipment, cooking stuff, food and provisions for usually 3+ weeks. 5 people in seats and big dog crate leave only half of the back for stuff. The bikes hang off the back either on a hitch tray or off the spare.

A trailer would be great, but unfortunately not in the budget as we are still off highway a lot and would need something half-way capable, plus no where to park the trailer when at home.

I borrow a roof box often which helps a little, but they're still about as much $ as going to a much more spacious rack.

Last edited:

bluedog

Adventurer
I have a full size Front Runner rack on mine. The only complaint I really have is when it is unloaded, it makes a lot of wind noise. I would think the Baja rack with the fairing on the front would reduce that some. Other than the noise, it's solid and one can clamp/strap just about anything to the top.

B.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Inti. End of discussion :D

Ok, but seriously... They're mega strong, i've carried 750+ lbs before on ours. My main thing for me when i run a support trip is if i can't walk on the rack it shouldn't be on the truck. I need it to be strong and i need to be able to haul whatever i may need up there , stand, fill water, fuel etc. Made out of mostly all aluminum.. so it's lighter than it looks, i've actually carried mine over my shoulder. That coupled with the light cage, fuel cage and fold down sides for a tent.. it's a no brainer. The only problem is getting one. I've seen a guy doing a group buy again on mud..

Attachments

• RACK.jpg
    RACK.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I have a full size Front Runner rack on mine. The only complaint I really have is when it is unloaded, it makes a lot of wind noise. I would think the Baja rack with the fairing on the front would reduce that some. Other than the noise, it's solid and one can clamp/strap just about anything to the top.

B.

I've been considering a Front Runner. I expect most any rack will make some wind noise. Is the Front Runner much worse than most in that regard?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online