Opinion: best roof rack for the LC80, why?

brentbba

Explorer
Yet another vote for Inti - and yes, there is a continuing buy thread in the 80's section on mud.

Attachments

• IMG_9784.JPG
    IMG_9784.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 76

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
2X Quality made in the USA, easy on the wallet, and easy to source.

http://www.gamiviti.com/html/products_roofracks.html#anchor_racks

I really like that rack, first time I have seen it. Maybe there will be a used ConFer on the market sometime in the future... :sombrero: One thing I really like though is the ability to have an unobstructed view out of my sunroof (yeah sunroof, I am a big fan, makes an 80 almost as enjoyable as having a convertible in terms of visibility in any direction) and also the ability to use the sunroof as an escape hatch for certain scenarios.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I have the same rack on my 100, but not sure if it really cheats the wind!

Mine does :victory:

100% pleased with my Frontrunner. Took me forever to decide...and I was anti-roof rack for a long time. But I use the heck out of it for lighter bulkier items that won't fit inside when in explore mode (like firewood, BBQ grill, etc.); no regrets whatsoever. Its a stout mount for my Fiamma awning too. No rattles, stays tight, love the "T" slot system for quick easy anchor points for ratchet straps, etc.

Oh yeah...and quiet; not as quiet compared to without but quieter than any aftermarket roof rack, including all things Yakima and Thule I've previously tried. The fairing really does the job for keeping it quiet.

Attachments

• LC with fairing for EP.jpg
    LC with fairing for EP.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 107

FireGuy

Adventurer
Mine does :victory:

100% pleased with my Frontrunner. Took me forever to decide...and I was anti-roof rack for a long time. But I use the heck out of it for lighter bulkier items that won't fit inside when in explore mode (like firewood, BBQ grill, etc.); no regrets whatsoever. Its a stout mount for my Fiamma awning too. No rattles, stays tight, love the "T" slot system for quick easy anchor points for ratchet straps, etc.

Oh yeah...and quiet; not as quiet compared to without but quieter than any aftermarket roof rack, including all things Yakima and Thule I've previously tried. The fairing really does the job for keeping it quiet.

How did you mount the fairing to the rack? Could you post some close up pics of the mounting method?

spressomon

Expedition Leader
FG: Sorry I don't have access to my LC right now...a little modding going on right now ;).

But I just used some scrap aluminum flat I had laying around for the struts; bent three pieces so suit to connect the fairing to the rack; slotted them for the mounting locations; used threaded nut-serts atop the FR rail and bolted it down. Its just been great despite taking some heavy beating the past 15-months (we always seem to find ourselves on overgrown trails :coffeedrink:).

I used textured ABS on this one. Made a wood template and used a router to cut it properly. And the only negative: When its facing the sun it expands a little. Hasn't been a performance detractor but it just doesn't look right. Next one I think I'll use aluminum and be done with it; probably cut it so the struts are integral and hence no need for bolts on the face of the fairing.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Thanks everyone. I'm still torn, BUT my first step will be having the header on my garage raised so that it can fit inside :Wow1:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Thanks everyone. I'm still torn, BUT my first step will be having the header on my garage raised so that it can fit inside :Wow1:

My last two garages I built (one was a pole barn actually) were spec'ed around me fitting my Land Cruisers in them. 9 and 10 foot doors were a requirement. :elkgrin: Subsequently when I had done some house shopping other times the garage was the deal breaker for me if it just had a standard size garage door. Gotta keep those priorities straight!

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Yeah, my house in Arizona had freakishly tall garages right from the builder. I could fit the rooftent and still upgraded to a 6" lift. Long story but didn't have options where I am now. Just not sure how much structural effort it will be on the garage as there is a bedroom above it, but I think I can raise the header another 9", maybe put a steel wide flange instead to reduce height too.

Wait a minute, how much is this roof rack really going to cost me?

Missed you in the UP recently, Kristian, we ended up bailing a little early. We couldn't go outside without full body netting and it never stopped raining for 2 weeks. The day after we left apparently cleared, wind came and blew away the mossies and supposedly beautiful?

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I don't know how it's been, I have been in Oregon and Utah since the 15th, in Salt Lake right now, hoping to roll out tonight still and Canonball run it straight through in my gf's Outback XT. When is the next time you are heading that way?

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Gamviti has a pretty cool offering for the 80 Series too:
http://www.gamiviti.com/index.html

Scott - I have similar issues as you with kids and a new dog, so my roof space has become critical. I got one of Tim's (Gamiviti) prototype racks and it's a nice piece for the money. And with the low profile gutter clamps I can clear my garage header by a couple of inches. The tube is a bit smaller than the Yakima spec, but close enough so that you can run their ski and bike stuff with a bit of fuel line as a spacer.

80_1.jpg

012.JPG

simps80

Scott - I have similar issues as you with kids and a new dog, so my roof space has become critical. I got one of Tim's (Gamiviti) prototype racks and it's a nice piece for the money. And with the low profile gutter clamps I can clear my garage header by a couple of inches. The tube is a bit smaller than the Yakima spec, but close enough so that you can run their ski and bike stuff with a bit of fuel line as a spacer.

I like Tim's offering. As stated the low profile clamps and rack clear the garage, its simple and light and strong. Price point is nice!

g1.jpg

fjfar80

I love my INTI rack, they are pricey and tough to get, but damn they are strong and are great for storage. You can also drop the side rails if you need to and put a RTT on top.

5069913495_658b52652d.jpg

- Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal