Opinion: best roof rack for the LC80, why?

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
They're honestly not that bad. More than nothing up there, that is for sure. They come with a metal wind deflector that mounts to the bottom of the rack up front. Instead of a fairing across the whole front, this deflector disturbs the air flowing under the rack. If there is anything at all on the rack, it is enough to do the same thing.

I've had 8 guys standing on my Front Runner rack on my 100 Series. It's the same basket as used on the 80, but with track and feet instead of gutter mount legs. Honestly, I think the legs are stronger.

The other nice thing is that you can mount equipment on both the top and bottom of the rack, as well as the sides. We keep a table mounted under ours.

Cheers,

Ash

Adventurer
I have the Bajarack on the 80 right now, but in due course I will replace it with the Front Runner rack that Equipt sell.

Bajarack do nice roof racks - their major selling point is price. However, that advantage erodes very quickly when you start looking at full flat 80 series racks. If I recall correctly ours was around $800. The rack is very strong - no complaints there, but heavy!. The rack also sits far too high for my liking. The Eezi-Awn T-Top walls barely touch the ground. It's hard to get away from the fact that doesn't offer the modulation of the Front Runner rack - the under rack table slide is a huge plus and something I would like to get. The wind deflector of the Bajarack also gets in the way of the Eezi-Awn when trying to set up the side windows. I could move it back slightly, but we have the 1800 Eezi-Awn and appreciate what room we do have left on the rack for other items.

The Bajarack (ignore the clown on top):
1_%252520%25252833%252529.JPG

Ash

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
Inti x 2

What Dave said!
I was lucky enough to find one for sale on this forum for my FJ62- had it shipped to AZ for additional $300.00, and looking back 2 years after , I'd do it again!
I carry my 2 kayaks, and plenty of room to spare for a bunch of Pelicans filled with bedding, and
camping stuff.. Oh, and I have a trailer with my RTT, to boot. Never enough room...:sombrero:
As to the noise, I can't hear it going 60mph...can't go any faster...:smiley_drive:

shakotankei

Observer
Inti Inti Inti

Love my Inti. Surprisingly light and very strong. Haven't used it for a whole lot so far though. Maybe a RTT in the future. Really dig the light cage and spot for Jerry cans. Got in on one of the first orders during that group buy on mud last year.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Roof racks

Scott,
My two cents.
Started with an ARB steel roof rack. Absolutely bomb proof but was over 100 lbs. Min 3 person job to install/remove. Would actually recommend 4 people. Bottom line, too heavy and too tall for my application.

Next used two Rino Rack cross bars. Nice and light. Easy to install/remove. Reasonably priced. Problem: could only load longer gear on it (i.e. stuff that would cover the span of the two cross bars).

Final solution: Front runner roof rack (2.2 m version). Easy to install/remove with two people. Low profile. Can mount anything you wish to it. Light and strong. Have had it for 6 months and many Australian adventures. No wind noise thanks to clever wind deflector as previously mentioned.

Cheers,
P

davegonz

Explorer
Get a Front Runner Wind Cheetah (they make them for 60/80/100/200 series). It's light weight, accepts a ton of add ons, and is strong. Oh, I can also park inside my garage due to the rack's low-profile design. It's also a great platform to shoot zombies from.

025.JPG

IMG_0888.jpg

rmirandayopo

Adventurer
XN for Inti...

there is no roof rack like that one, but it is hand made, no "production line" concept down there...

few guys offer it at mud today, a guy in Florida if I remember it properly...

Alvaro (La Cabra) had some long time ago, and it was a nightmare to deal with local currency controls overthere, plus other issues that he refuses to continue doing that...

In SoCal, Ryan from the Extreme Land Cruiser is doing good ones to... Rusty from American Overland Expedition also is doing good work...

At the Expedition Expo, I was able to take a look to the Baja Racks, and they are a great option too...

AlterKnight

Get a Front Runner Wind Cheetah (they make them for 60/80/100/200 series). It's light weight, accepts a ton of add ons, and is strong. Oh, I can also park inside my garage due to the rack's low-profile design. It's also a great platform to shoot zombies from.

I have the same rack on my 100, but not sure if it really cheats the wind!

Rig-1.jpg

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Other than my beloved 2200 Eezi-Awn atop my 80, I've never put a roof rack on it. Despite the greater wisdom here, I still prefer a roof rack carriage to a hitch tray.

I've always liked the looks of the ARB, and the new aluminum ones sound like they're much lighter. But there are lots of full-sized racks on the market. Which do you prefer and WHY?

Knowing you, I would go with the FrontRunner w/ the RTT quick release system. We have a demo hanging on the wall in our store, so if you swing in I can show ya.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal