Oregon - Winter Waterfall Viewing – North Willamette NF - 01/20/13

compactcamping

Explorer
On Sunday, four of us meet up for heading into the North Willamette NF to enjoy some waterfalls, hiking and snowy back country driving. After a foggy, sometimes icy drive to the meeting point, it was a welcome change to have the fog clear and see blue skies as we headed up North Fork Road. The paved portion of North Fork Road was icy but uneventful. Shortly after hitting gravel, it transitioned from patchy to packed snow.

Our first stop came after five miles of gravel road; Henline Falls. North Fork Road turns into FSR 2209. About 1000’ past the FSR 2207 junction is the Henline Falls / Ogle Mountain trailhead. It’s an easy one mile hike to Henline Falls which is recorded at 126 feet. To the right of the falls is the Silver King Mine shaft. Just before the falls you climb through what remains of the mines tramway footings.

hen012113.jpg

mine-in.jpg

mine-out.jpg

Next we headed about two miles farther up FSR 2209 to Stack Creek. The snow got deeper but was easily passable in 4WD. On the east side of the road, is a very large drop which appears to form a nice waterfall but we can’t see it. On the west side of the road, you can see the creek cascading through the trees. It will be worth stop in again when it’s snow free and safer to bushwhack up the creek on the west side.

wf-rigs2.jpg

stack-creek.jpg

We then headed back down and took FSR 2207, which was patchy packed snow & icy transitioning to packed snow shortly before the Shade Grove Campground Bridge.

wf-rigs1-1.jpg

As we climbed towards Sullivan falls the snow got deeper. I started have traction problems just before the falls. After a few attempts, I got going again and we arrived at Sullivan falls. It’s a great 150 – 200’ tall roadside falls, depending on how many of the upper steps you count. After some lunch and enjoying the view; we decided to head back down verses trying to push farther up along Cedar Creek into deeper snow.

wf-rigs5.jpg

sul-012013-1-1.jpg

sul-012013-2.jpg

wf-rigs6.jpg

We backtracked down FSR 2207 to Three Pools. This is an area of interesting rock formations, some nice pools and some small cascading falls. We hiked around trying not to slip on the ice and chipping smooth rocks free for skipping.

wf-pools3.jpg

wf-pools1.jpg

We continued down FSR 2207 & North Fork road making our final stop of the day at Salmon falls. First we climbed down for views from the river. Next we hiked around to the top of the falls and carefully climbed around on the snowy / icy rock outcropping which forms the falls. Even with it being cold and icy it was a very nice day.

salmon-012013-1.jpg

salmon-012013-2.jpg

If you venture into the area, it’s worth noting that it can get a fair amount of snow in the winter. When exploring in winter conditions, please go properly prepared and make sure someone knows your planned route and when to expect you back. Also be careful of icy conditions around the falls.

Basic Directions:
From Salem (Oregon), go east on Hwy 22 about 27 miles
Take a left on North Fork Road
Remainder of directions covered above

Kuma632

Observer
As usual great write-up, Scott
I really appreciate all the useful info, like FSR#'s
That 3rd shot of Henline Falls, peering out of the tunnel, is epic!
We're going to have to check that place out.
Also, are your photo skills improving?
I think so! With every thread. Keep 'em coming.
Roll on, brother.
Peace, ~Ben

compactcamping

Explorer
Ben, Thanks and thanks for noticing, I've been practicing, experiment and learning my camera better. Yes, I really like the one looking out of the mine, tried to do more from inside, but the place was covered in spiders, freaked me out a bit ... Late Spring is the best time to go, things are really flowing.

ANDYROO

Adventurer
Really enjoyed the write-up and photos.....never explored the NW region, but now it's definitely added to the list of places to visit soon.

Thanks for sharing!

Nikson

Explorer
I'll have to venture up that road on my snowcat, seems like it would be a worthwhile trip may be to visit Opal lake in the winter.

compactcamping

Explorer
Would be a fun trip in the SnowCat, beautiful views up on the ridges on a clear day in the Winter. Most likely need snowshoes for the hike to Opal lake. Might be frozen over and hard to find :)

Nikson

Explorer
Would be a fun trip in the SnowCat, beautiful views up on the ridges on a clear day in the Winter. Most likely need snowshoes for the hike to Opal lake. Might be frozen over and hard to find :)

Went up to Elk Lake area yesterday, snowshoed last 2 miles up to the intersection, but than it just got too deep, even with snowshoes, I was falling through almost to my waist. Sometimes I guess its just too deep... LOL

compactcamping

Explorer
Yes, I've had those days, becomes more like swimming ... With 235's on the SideKick, I'd be most likely snowshoeing from the bottom of 4697 this time of year :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism