Our "new" Tiger...

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Look at all that sexy Snow Peak! Now you just have to break it all in. :chef:
Working on it... :drool:

suntinez said:
Will it be a removable drawer to take outside? like a baby chuckbox? or storage inside for outside things?
I would love to come up with a clever chuckbox design but I'm leaning more towards a nice, heavy-duty drawer with compartments shaped to fit each item.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
BBQ Drawer...

Before:
818135456_rDPLb-M.jpg

After (still need to find a handle we like for the front):
1059233365_usvLM-L.jpg

Provan uses an aluminum panel to separate the sink/underside of the counter from the top of the stock refrigerator.
There's a good amount of empty space available behind the barrier:
1059229679_i4M77-M.jpg

The space hidden by the aluminum is the only area on the Tiger we hadn't cleaned/inspected.
Just like when I removed the original refrigerator, I found a little critter house:
1059229648_fyZNX-M.jpg

Like the other, this one appeared to have been abandoned long ago.
Makes you wonder how many Tigers and other campers are carrying extra passengers? :wavey:

Panel removed:
1059229704_C2AEi-M.jpg

Interior + 100lb drawer slides:
1059229720_bPLmg-M.jpg

Here's some of the contents:
1059229737_mnDnT-M.jpg

Inside of drawer is divided up to be an exact fit for the contents.
I lined the drawers with rubber, non-skid material. No rattles, so far:
1059229764_4Ad6o-M.jpg

:chef:

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
1059229764_4Ad6o-M.jpg

Very Slick!! Now we need to go to the desert and test it out. :chef:

suntinez

Explorer
That turned out great!! How deep is it?

More critters, eh? I'll be checking there for freeloaders now, thanks for finding all the hidden crevices.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
We headed back up towards Santa Rosa Mountain last night. We got a late start and by the time we got to the trailhead we were too tired to make the 1hr drive up the dirt section so we looked for a Plan B. It was probably a good decision since I forgot about all the rain we had this week. We'd barely started down a different, nearby dirt trail before we got into some shallow but really slick mud. It would've been a long slog to the top of the mountain. We ended up a short distance down the road at Pinyon Flat Campground.
1060750518_uDtP6-M.jpg

The weather at 4,000' was windy and cold which made for a good night's sleep. We love our RTT and ground tents but when the weather is bad, it's late and your tired; it's pretty nice to pull into camp, brush your teeth and jump into bed without ever leaving the vehicle. This morning, we continued down the East side of the mountain and spent the day in the desert. It was a fun little trip.

Last edited:

mtran2000

Observer
Expanding bathroom in Tiger XL

I have a 92 Tiger XL AWD and have thought about eliminating closet and expanding bathroom.

Question to Tiger owners on this forum, do you think it is feasible and worth the effort? Ideas and suggestions appreciated.

Mark

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I have a 92 Tiger XL AWD and have thought about eliminating closet and expanding bathroom.

Question to Tiger owners on this forum, do you think it is feasible and worth the effort? Ideas and suggestions appreciated.

Mark
Mark,
I like the idea of expanding the bathroom but it has the potential to be a big job. If you have the tools, know-how and work space I think it could be a fun winter project. Have you sourced different sized shower pans? The big RV supply places carry a variety of sizes and shapes. Obviously, you'll want a "combo" pan (toilet/shower). My $.02: I'd choose the shower pan first and then build the walls around it. Proper support under the shower pan and alignment with the black water tank will be important. I'd also do a mock-up of your plan with cardboard to make sure it doesn't interfere with the "flow" of the interior.

I'd love to see pics of your XL. Any chance you could start a thread? I get the feeling there are a lot of new Tiger fans lurking on this board. ;)

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Escape Pod...

Earlier this week, I had a last-minute opportunity to head out to Anza Borrego for a quick overnighter. One of the nice things about the Tiger is it's always packed and ready to go. I stopped by the market for some carne asada and was on my way to the desert <30 minutes after I opened the garage.

I picked a random spot off the side of the trail in Coyote Canyon:
1077475614_Za9tu-M.jpg

Lots of green after the recent rains:
1077479503_Bku7Z-M.jpg

Great view from Culp Valley. Salton Sea is visible on the horizon:
1077476767_zSPzN-M.jpg

mtran2000

Observer
Mark,
I like the idea of expanding the bathroom but it has the potential to be a big job. If you have the tools, know-how and work space I think it could be a fun winter project. Have you sourced different sized shower pans? The big RV supply places carry a variety of sizes and shapes. Obviously, you'll want a "combo" pan (toilet/shower). My $.02: I'd choose the shower pan first and then build the walls around it. Proper support under the shower pan and alignment with the black water tank will be important. I'd also do a mock-up of your plan with cardboard to make sure it doesn't interfere with the "flow" of the interior.

I'd love to see pics of your XL. Any chance you could start a thread? I get the feeling there are a lot of new Tiger fans lurking on this board. ;)

Since we do not plan on using shower and would really just like some more elbow room in the bathroom, the idea would be to eliminate closet and put in a different door. I am thinking of a Bifold closet door. I also wonder if the toilet can be moved slightly to face a different direction to allow more room. Not looking at totally remodeling bathroom just making it a bit bigger if possible. Probably won't do anything until spring as I have put Tiger in storage for the winter. Didn't have a chance to sleep in it :(

I will take some pictures this weekend and post them. Starting a new thread is a great idea. I have only had Tiger a little over a month and so far cleaned it up real well, washed and waxed and also put in new floor which I will take pictures of along with exterior and interior.

Mark

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Mark,
Your idea sounds interesting. Here's a pic that will help you visualize the items that need to be considered for a toilet "redirect":
834037353_HPD6T-M.jpg

The gray colored pipe is the water supply. In my opinion, it would be a pain to drill another hole and try to relocate that pipe. A better option might be to graft some flexible hose to it so it can reach the new angle of the toilet. The two bolts sticking through the rubber gasket could be a problem. I'm not sure if they're simply bolted through the bottom of the shower pan or connected to the black water tank. If it's just the shower pan, I think it would be easy to drill new holes, seal the old ones and either source a new gasket or reuse the old one (ours is still in good shape).

Finally, give it some thought before you ditch the shower. I'm still surprised by how much use we get from it. On camping trips with our Tacoma we frequently go a couple days without a shower. We have a great shower system but it's a hassle to setup and tear down the shower tent. With the Tiger, it's pretty common for us to take 2 showers a day (seriously) and we never go a day without at least one shower. It's so convenient to have a dedicated, enclosed, shower/toilet. Heck, I'm probably cleaner on camping trips, now, than I am at home. ;)

mtran2000

Observer
Mark,
Your idea sounds interesting. Here's a pic that will help you visualize the items that need to be considered for a toilet "redirect":
834037353_HPD6T-M.jpg

The gray colored pipe is the water supply. In my opinion, it would be a pain to drill another hole and try to relocate that pipe. A better option might be to graft some flexible hose to it so it can reach the new angle of the toilet. The two bolts sticking through the rubber gasket could be a problem. I'm not sure if they're simply bolted through the bottom of the shower pan or connected to the black water tank. If it's just the shower pan, I think it would be easy to drill new holes, seal the old ones and either source a new gasket or reuse the old one (ours is still in good shape).

Finally, give it some thought before you ditch the shower. I'm still surprised by how much use we get from it. On camping trips with our Tacoma we frequently go a couple days without a shower. We have a great shower system but it's a hassle to setup and tear down the shower tent. With the Tiger, it's pretty common for us to take 2 showers a day (seriously) and we never go a day without at least one shower. It's so convenient to have a dedicated, enclosed, shower/toilet. Heck, I'm probably cleaner on camping trips, now, than I am at home. ;)

Thanks for the picture and information. I am rethinking this a bit and your comments about the shower make a lot of sense. Nice to have the option of a shower. This is really still in the brainstorming phase as I am still learning about my Tiger and kind of put a pecking order of things I want done.
1) New floor- DONE
2) New Curtains - Possibly this winter. If not then spring.
3) Re striping - I have read the original stripe is hard to get off.
4) Bilstein shocks- Not urgent but would be nice for better ride.
5) Possible bathroom renovation but might not be for a while.

Also will have coach AC put in this spring. Need it here in Midwest. Looking at Coleman Polar Cub which is more than needed (Not really a big area to cool) but hard to find anything as small and lightweight for roof mounting.

Mark

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Aux Power...

We've had a few questions, lately, about aux power for the Tiger.

Our Tiger doesn't have the optional, factory installed, rear-mounted generator. We occasionally carry our Honda EU1000i portable generator. It will recharge the aux battery and run everything in the cabin, at the same time, without a problem except for the microwave. The 1000 seems to be just a few watts short to keep the microwave going- it'll run for a few seconds and then pop the "overload" breaker on the generator. We don't need the microwave but I'm sure we'd use it once in awhile if we could (it's not wired to run off the aux battery). FWIW- we've run fridge, lights, fan and water pump off the aux battery for up to 3 days without a problem. If the van is moved every day or two, the generator isn't necessary.

Generator:
1077476255_s6XpK-M.jpg

It fits perfectly in the shower pan and hasn't ever moved or tipped over while offroad.
The fuel cap vent seals air-tight and we've never noticed any gas fumes:
1077477410_Q4qhK-M.jpg

Last edited:

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Feel the heat...

We headed north last week to spend some time in the Santa Barbara backcountry. Temps overnight dropped into the 20's. It was the coldest, so far, we've camped with the Tiger. Our furnace is temporarily inop due to a little project I'm working on so we brought Mr. Heater:
1108629846_fvSKc-M.jpg

It works well in the Tiger and takes ~15 minutes to bring the cabin temps from below freezing to bearable and not much longer for things to be nice and toasty.
The Mr. Heater only weighs a couple of pounds and fits perfectly in the upper cabinets:
1108629608_TUNND-M.jpg

We like to sleep with the temps cold so I turned the heater off overnight. Bad idea: it got so cold that everything in the fridge froze solid and ruined several days worth of food.
OOPS! Oh well, at least we had a good night's sleep. :sombrero:

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
We use a Buddy as well to save on batteries when camping. Also great to have if you want/need to work outside as they pump a lot of heat for a small unit. Only big problem is the moisture that they produce, would love to have a vented cat to remove the moisture and save on having windows open, no place to mount one.

20's that is tropical for what we have been having :Wow1: :Wow1: I have had to insulate the fridge so that it doesn't freeze things when off and still have an issue. Great for ice cream and frozen food!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online