Our "new" Tiger...

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
As often happens during the short winter days, we got to the trail head after dark. We were only on the dirt for a short time before we were stopped by a locked gate. We turned around to take a bypass and found it was also blocked by a locked gate. First time in >20 years of traveling on this trail that I've been stopped (AARGH!). No problem: as always, one of the great things about the Tiger is the ability to camp anywhere you can find a parking spot. We pulled over in a random flat spot, took the dogs for a walk and went to bed.

In the morning we discovered our "parking spot" was pretty cool:
1108626252_GQFXu-M.jpg

This puddle was liquid when we went to bed. 8 hours later it was frozen solid:
1108629461_7UKBi-M.jpg

View from the top of the ridge- Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa and San Miguel Islands are visible on the horizon:
1108630614_FB76s-L.jpg

Last edited:

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
How to save $968.01...

I'd been fiddling with our furnace and water heater trying to see if I could get them to function a little better. They worked but the furnace didn't heat very well and the flame on the water heater was prone to blow out with the slightest breeze. We also noticed that using the stove reduced the output of the other LP accessories. I just figured that everything was getting a little old and probably needed replacement. Since we've grown to LOVE the ability to take hot showers and keep the cabin warm I set aside $1000 for a new furnace and water heater. I was sharing my idea with a buddy and he recommended I also get the regulator checked. The regulator? DOH! It never crossed my mind to inspect the regulator (I'm about as sharp as a water balloon sometimes).

Since we have a long winter trip coming up, I decided to take the Tiger to a local RV shop, get a new regulator and have them perform a full water heater, furnace and LP system service. Sure enough, the new regulator fixed everything. The stove, furnace and water heater are working like new and they can all run, full blast, without affecting each other.

Here's the best $31.99 I've spent in awhile:
1111624200_UVKGu-M.jpg

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Good to see that it was a fairly easy fix.
So now what are the plans to spend the left over $968.01 ? :sombrero:

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
So now what are the plans to spend the left over $968.01 ? :sombrero:
We've still got a few important items left to buy.

Probably get a couple of these:
chia-pet-obama-barack-hairy-6.jpg

One of these in "Expo Khaki":
for+him+beer+holder.jpg

And two of these:
41BYhnkiioL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If there's any money left over, we'll probably just blow it on stuff we don't really need.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a sound and solid plan there.....especially the chia pet...thats going to be worth big $$ in a few years:wings::victory::bike_rider:

a.mus.ed

Explorer
Reminds me of this:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P1XlBSUS1Y"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P1XlBSUS1Y[/ame]

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Some R&R for R&D...

We'll be leaving on a 7+ day trip to the Northwest in a few days. It looks like we'll have lots of rain, some snow and below freezing temps along the route. Our recent Santa Barbara trip was the first time we've had the Tiger in sub-freezing conditions and it exposed a few issues:

• We want an additional layer of insulation between us and the bunk cushions.
  • We need to make sure the exterior of the refrigerator stays above freezing.
  • The vents used for the original 3-way fridge are the weak link in the Tiger's insulation and need to be better sealed.

Since we're having "lousy" weather here in SoCal I figured I'd better head for the mountains and do some R&D. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any sub-freezing temps but I was able to find a campsite above 4,000' where it was "almost" freezing, the wind was howling and the rain was dumping. I pulled into this spot and hunkered down for the night:
1133158530_gqmRr-M.jpg

A few years ago we used this "egg crate" on an old bed and it was super comfortable. We had some extra sitting in the garage collecting dust. Not sure why it took me so long to cut it to size and put it in the Tiger. What a difference! We never had a problem with the comfort of the Tiger bunk but this just turns a good thing into a really good thing:
1133157138_TfMwd-M.jpg

With the new propane regulator installed, the furnace works great. It kept the cabin at a cozy 65F all night without too much run time/cycling. I think the trick for the fridge in cold weather will be to pull it out into the cabin so it stays in the warmer air. Worked well on my trial run:
1133158000_x2Gim-L.jpg

I looked at several different materials to insulate the vent areas. I ended up using adhesive pipe wrap. It doesn't have as high of an "R" value as other materials but it's very easy to work with and it's a big improvement over the bare aluminum:
1133160626_FnjRx-M.jpg

1133162424_xYXqu-M.jpg

1133163591_CiYa5-M.jpg

UPDATE: We've recently camped in temps down in the single digits. The fridge worked fine without having to pull it out into the cabin at night. The additional insulation seems to have done the trick.

Last edited:

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Foul Weather Camping...

We traveled 2200+ miles on our annual Christmas camping adventure. Our route took us north up I-5 to Portland, OR and then south through the Sierras via HWY395. The weather was cold and windy with continuous heavy rain and/or snow for most of the trip. It would've been a tough time with our RTT or ground tents. We stayed warm, dry and happy in the Tiger. We bought a new camera before the trip but didn't take many pics due to the constant rain/snow. The trip started off slow. We couldn't make it to our intended campsite on the first night because of dense fog in the Central Valley of CA. Visibility was less than 1/4 mile. We were limping along I-5 at ~25mph looking for any exit where we could park for the night. As I've mentioned before, one benefit of the Tiger is the abilty to "stealth" camp just about anywhere since you can sleep, eat, use the bathroom, etc. without ever leaving the vehicle. We found a rest stop a few exits ahead and pulled in:
1143808278_UZG9X-M.jpg

More fog the next morning:
1143808692_Mex6K-M.jpg

The fog turned into rain:
1143809777_zkjqb-M.jpg

The rain turned into snow:
1143811463_2Pvpt-M.jpg

We carried chains but never needed them. Surprisingly, the AWD combined with the Geolandars worked as well in the rain/snow as any of our other current vehicles (4wd Tacoma, Disco II and a Subaru wagon). We're continually impressed with the Astro AWD.

We used the Trasharoo for hauling firewood. It does a good job of keeping things dry considering where it rides on our camper. When the wood eventually got soaked, it only took a few minutes of blasting with the Snow Peak Torch to get the fire going even in the rain.
Rogue River State Park:
1143810615_P9uGp-M.jpg

We stopped by our family's farm outside of Portland. I parked the Tiger in the barn to keep it out of the rain for awhile:
1143811444_CJawc-M.jpg

From Portland we headed south then east into the mountains and back into the snow. We ended up driving hundreds of miles on packed roads like this:
1143813424_qpyXQ-M.jpg

We learned the hard way that 99.9% of the "established" campgrounds in Northern CA are closed for the winter (aargh!). We also weren't able to access some prime primitive sites in the mountains because the Tiger couldn't get over the snow banks left by the snow plows along the main roads (FWIW- I don't think any of our vehicles would've gotten over/through the snow). We were able to get off the highway in a few spots. This dirt road went to a mine somewhere in Nevada. Made for a fun detour:
1143814313_ULdwh-M.jpg

We discovered a little problem area that I'll need to fix for future trips in the snow. Due to the size of our tires, we removed the mudflaps behind the front wheels. As a result, the snow spray off the left front tire clogs up the propane valve. If it's slushy, it cleans right off. If the temps are really cold, the snow is hard as a rock and difficult to remove. The temps were in the single digits when I took this pic:
1143812340_G25UT-M.jpg

It was a long, cold 10 minutes on my hands and knees trying to get the valve clear enough to turn the heater on. :REOutIceFishing:

This was our "campsite" (random, cleared spot off the highway) in the mountains somewhere near Lassen:
1143813334_AnSQp-M.jpg

With temps in the single digits to low-teens, the heater had to work a little extra but it kept the cabin at our selected 65 degrees all night. The only issue we had was the water line to the toilet. The Tiger has a well designed water supply system for cold weather (nearly all the plumbing is inside the heated cabin). The weak link is the toilet supply line that runs below the wardrobe closet where it doesn't get much heat. On two mornings the line froze. The toilet still worked but you needed to pour fresh water into it vs. having it work automatically. It thawed out within minutes of driving each time so I'm guessing it was just barely freezing enough to clog the line. These were "extreme" low temps for the West Coast so I doubt we'll see the problem very often but I might try to come up with a fix.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
The weather cleared up for the last day and a half of our trip. The Sierras got dumped on so it was even prettier than usual coming down 395 through the Owens Valley with clear skies and fresh snow. Somewhere near Mammoth:
1143814123_JPJPq-M.jpg

Looking for a campsite near Bishop:
1143815855_9wSyG-M.jpg

Camping in Lone Pine:
1143816520_dqzCw-M.jpg

One of the endless, random trails near Ridgecrest:
1144203501_BsHhc-M.jpg

Riptide

Explorer
Man, what an awesome trip. It's great being able to pull over, and jump in bed, without having to set up anything...

As far as the water heater goes, on our last two trips with our Sprinter camper, I pretty much let the water heater run the whole trip. The pilot light never blew out on the road, and the additional propane useage was minimal.

Every time I got out of the truck, I just walked around the back to listen for the flame. Worked fine.

You need a ski rack for that baby!

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I simple love reading these trip reports.
Thanks, again, for the helpful tips. Your Astro knowledge is appreciated.

Riptide said:
It's great being able to pull over, and jump in bed, without having to set up anything...
Yep. I can't emphasize enough how nice it is to have a self-contained camper that requires zero setup. We do a lot of multi-day road trips throughout the year in our various vehicles. It seems like on every long trip there's at least one night where we can't find our intended campsite, a road is closed causing a long detour or we're just too tired to safely continue. Whatever the reason, being able to stop and sleep "anywhere" makes for a stress-free experience.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
2010 Tiger Stats...

As of this week, we've had the Tiger for 11 months.

• Miles Traveled: 12,050
  • States/Provinces Visited: CA, AZ, OR, WA, NV, ID, British Columbia, Alberta
  • Nights Camping: 30
  • Mechanical Problems: 0
  • Average Fun-Meter Level: High

Not bad for a little, old Astro Van.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
My wife keeps looking over my shoulder as I read this thread. She said she can't imagine getting rid of the AstroLander, but that TIger sure looks appealing.

Keep the reports and pics coming.:ylsmoke:

mtran2000

Observer
As of this week, we've had the Tiger for 11 months.

• Miles Traveled: 12,050
  • States/Provinces Visited: CA, AZ, OR, WA, NV, ID, British Columbia, Alberta
  • Nights Camping: 30
  • Mechanical Problems: 0
  • Average Fun-Meter Level: High

Not bad for a little, old Astro Van.

I can't wait until spring to get my Tiger in the driveway and fixing it up a bit and heading off for some adventures.

Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online