Overland Expo Events for 2015!

CarmMontana

I wish they would have let those of us in that showed, at least to walk it but I understand the concerns. It was a mess on saturday morning. So man angry people due to the website saying rain or shine the event was going to happen and then be turned away after hours of travel.

I'm hoping they do the right thing for those of us that were turned away and give refunds but their Facebook page is littered with doubt… Not fun

DzlToy

Explorer
Nothing that a credit or debit card dispute form can't fix if they don't get it done here in the next few weeks. You have at least 30 days to dispute the charges and probably longer depending on the card issuer.

TAGcaver

By mid morning Saturday there wasn't anywhere to park. I heard someone say they were suggesting folks could park in town and ride a taxi out. I would be POed if I had pre paid and was turned away. They definitely need to return the money for those who didn't get in.

Ivan

Lost in Space
How about a central event in Alpine, TX?

Worth reconsidering considering the last few biblical events to occur around the time of the Expo :snorkel:

Hey, at least we're in a drought :26_16_2:

Last edited:

DzlToy

Explorer
Refunds are being processed this week. I received an email from Alison DeLapp. I am sure they are swamped :)D) at this point, but it appears they are following through and doing the right thing for those who could not register or camp. I cannot speak for vendors or people who checked in before it was shut down.

texascrane

Adventurer

DzlToy

Explorer
Registration for camping, as well as on-site parking were absolutely shut down if you were not onsite by Friday afternoon.

The pass I had was for weekend camping, which includes on site parking and facility use. This was not allowed as of early AM on Saturday, which is when I arrived at the ranch.

What is done is done and I have requested and received a refund. There were some concerns about this here and in other threads, so I am simply giving an update.

Cheers

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I can fill in some details.

We just caught the edge of the Hurricane Joaquin system, so while we got about four inches of rain, it could have been much worse. The event was indeed never shut down; however, we did have to close all day parking after the sloped field that is the only area available for day parking got so treacherous that a couple of cars slid a bit—with no one in them. Our only choice was to tell day visitors to park elsewhere and take public transportation to the site. Those vehicles in the camping area had to stay put; we laid down several thousand dollars worth of substrate on the road leading up the hill prior to the event, which helped a lot but couldn't compensate for that much rain.

Unfortunately—we're still trying to figure out exactly how this happened—for several hours on Saturday morning the Taylor Ranch staff stationed at the gate told those arriving that the event had been cancelled. We only discovered this when we began receiving frantic, and angry, texts, at which point Roseann, Jason Peraza, and Brian DeArmon went down and manned the gate themselves to straighten things out. That was too late for many who had driven home.

The Expo itself continued, and functioned perfectly. Land Rover kept the driving course open all weekend, and those taking advantage of it had a much more exciting experience than if the course had been dry—it was likely the only time they'd have a driving instructor telling them "Faster! Faster!" Several impromptu winching demonstrations ensued. Likewise, the BFGoodrich demonstration course turned into much more of a challenge than it would have been, highlighting the efficiency of BFG Mud-Terrains quite well. There were spectators cheering each time a demo Jeep or Defender made it through an obstacle.

I taught several classes on winching, tire repair, and tool selection, and all were full. The Camel Trophy Skills Area was packed all weekend, with many demonstrations including rolling and recovering our demo Disco. The weather on Saturday was actually pretty mild, with intermittent showers, and Sunday was better.

The vendors we've talked to so far did extremely well; the Camp Champ people alone sold 15 of their exquisite, four-figure galley kits.

We did face a hefty restoration bill at the end of the event, and we have decided that, as lovely as it is, Taylor Ranch is inadequate to accommodate the Overland Expo in anything like inclement weather. Statistically October has the lowest precipitation of the year in Asheville, but hurricanes pay little attention to statistics . . .

Thus we are now negotiating for a new venue site in the Asheville region (which we love), a site that would better suit us and our activities and be even more attractive for camping. There will be news as we have it.

Our thanks to everyone who came and had a great time despite the weather. Once again conditions seemed to bring out the best in everyone; we had more people than ever stopping us and asking how they could help. That's what the Overland Expo community is all about.

Last edited:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Tim Huber wrote a superb piece on the Expo here, for those who weren't there and are wondering what it was really like—and what the Expo is all about.

Maxcustody

Explorer
I would like to commend Jonathan, Roseann and all the staff for an outstanding event at Expo East. I attended Expo West this year as well. While both events had unexpected weather, it was a great experience. I have learned many valuable lessons on equipment and planning.

Is this not why we do what we do.....to be better prepared for our next adventure.

Sent from my Roof Top Tent

Gizmolannigan

Even though I had to park a mile down the road hitchhike/walk in it was a good event for me. I would like to see the next event at a different venue because I feel I missed out on a lot because I wasn't allowed to camp onsite 2WD:(. Hey, I thought we were in this for adventure. Met some amazing and inspiring people regardless. Thanks Expo East.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Even though I had to park a mile down the road hitchhike/walk in it was a good event for me. I would like to see the next event at a different venue because I feel I missed out on a lot because I wasn't allowed to camp onsite 2WD. Hey, I thought we were in this for adventure. Met some amazing and inspiring people regardless. Thanks Expo East.

Thank you—we are negotiating for a new venue; we'll update our website as we have news.

High Center

Adventurer
Even though I had to park a mile down the road hitchhike/walk in it was a good event for me. I would like to see the next event at a different venue because I feel I missed out on a lot because I wasn't allowed to camp onsite 2WD:(. Hey, I thought we were in this for adventure. Met some amazing and inspiring people regardless. Thanks Expo East.

For some reason, your van parked on that corner stuck with my son and I and we talked about it several times on the long ride home. Good to know that you were able to attend and enjoyed it.

Best,

High Center

Adventurer
Thank you. Comments like that mean a great deal after a challenging event!

Well then let me add to the chorus...again.... We had a fantastic weekend and while I am aware that the rain caused you some real complications...I wouldn't trade what I got on that LR driving course or from all of those that I met for three days of sunshine.

We are in for Overland Expo West (and East again) rain or shine- So long as Becky brings the snorkel gear again....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77