Overland Hammock Camping

VATACO

Adventurer
I agree whole hardheartedly. As much as I like RTTs i just don't think the cost of it is very feasible for being a "bachelor overlander" I'm running a Eagle Nest Outfitters hammock. Love it!

View attachment 123565

I agree completely. I have a 5 man Eureka tent for the rare occasion I have friends along, but I much prefer hanging in the hammock.

grimbo

Explorer
I like the look of them, don't recall ever seeing them over here in Australia. Wish I had known about them when I used to be single and had my Suzuki, perfect combo

johnspark

Ramblin Man
IMG00018-1.jpg

IMG00016-1.jpg

South Carolina Wateree River camping.

IMAG0016.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

Georgia Etowah River in Dawson Forest. My son relaxing after a days paddle

Love some Hammock Time!

taylorRichie

Adventurer
I used to use a Hennesy Hamock in the High Uintas of Utah (10,000 + feet). I absolutely loved it. There was quite a learning curve though. Many cold nights before getting it dialed.

50º Weather - Put a sleeping pad inside my sleeping bag
40º - 50º - Put sleeping pad inside my sleeping bag, and wrap an emergency blanket around the outside (I used to put it inside the hammock, but it was too noisy) I later switched to a fabric emergency blanket that didn't make noise.
Anything below I do all of the above, but then I take the rocks from my fire ring (that hopefully are really hot by now) and pile them under the hammock. I can cook in the middle of a snow storm it's great!!

Now a day I use an MSR Hubba Hubba while backpacking (I bring a dog or two).

Now for Overland/Car Camping and exploration, I'm using a nice springbar setup... Not ideal for a quick setup and move. But if I'm staying in the same place for a few days... I couldn't ask for more.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Here is my HH with the hex fly

DSC_0574.jpg

I never have to worry about rocky or uneven ground as long as there are trees

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
This is my hammock there are many like it but this is mine...
I just recently replaced it for the same kind but it can sleep two people instead... it is ubber comfortable

IMAG0661.jpg

krazytoy

Adventurer
I had my bumpers made with Hammock camping in mind. I have not had a chance to use it yet, it's a little cold here right now. I am in the market to upgrade to either a Hennessy or a Clark in the very near future.

IMAG0475.jpg

IMAG0477.jpg

krazytoy

Adventurer
I might have to steal that idea from you - very cool.

Have at it. It has soooo many more possibilities fishing pole holder, canopy poles, clothes line and I could stick one rod in and film with the GoPro. Just need the GoPro now... I can't wait to start using them more.

Jevy

Adventurer
I've been hammock camping for around 5 years now. We have 4 Warbonnett Blackbirds and I have one of their new bridge design hammocks here but haven't set it up. I've been camping off of a motorcycle primarily over the last 6-7 years but the bikes are gone now so it will likely be out of the Jeep come next Spring. I love hammocks but always worried about finding a place to hang when riding the m/c. With the jeep I have at least 1 attachment point so finding a spot to hang shouldn't be a problem now. :) I like the hanging a whole bunch but have also just started putting together a trailer with a RTT. Sometimes it takes me alot of time to rig the hammock, under quit, tarp etc and if just staying for a night I will likely use the RTT. This fall we put up a couple of posts in our back yard so I can hang in the back yard.

e2b8fe77.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

2012-02-03_14-13-19_932.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Jevy, looks like you have the Speer Peapod for cold wether hammock camping. I've been considering that myself. How do you like it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

johnspark

Ramblin Man
Hennessy or Warbonnet are the bomb if you have the dough. Eno and Treklight if you are on a thin budget. I haven't had to upgrade from my treklights yet, so they're gonna hold up if you go that route.

The biggest thing is how you use the rain tarp and/or insulation. Watch some youtube videos and apply as needed.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3