Overland Journal: G-Wagen

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
I read the whole thread... an amazing car and amazing adventures.

I have been trying to buy a G for a few month already but can't a pick a proper year model.
Some say don't buy pre 2002 model because of weak axles and trans...
Some say don't buy 2000 and higher models because of complex electronics and issues.
Some say buy only models made after 2004 because as they fixed those issues.
Some say don't buy G500 but rather G550...

I am very confused about what year of model I should consider to buy.

I would ask you guys,
What model has the best balance between reliability, simplicity and comfort?
or to put it in a different way
What model would be a perfect one to build an overland vehicle from? 1999-2000 models, 2002-2003 models, or 2004-2006 models?

Thank you

safariguy

Observer
In my own experience, it may come down to your own budget. I personally bought a 2003 model that was a manufacturer buyback and they fixed / upgraded all of the electronics so I never have experienced any issues at all with my own vehicle. I was interested in buying a newer one, but my budget wouldn't allow for that. And pre 2002, non MBUSA models were getting pricey and potentially not worth it for me.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
safariguy

Is your car a V8 model or a diesel model?
I am looking for 2004-2005 models as they are a bit cheaper than the newest models.

2003 model that was a manufacturer buyback and they fixed / upgraded all of the electronics
May I ask what they had to replace it and why?

And what is your overall experience with the G? ( I assume you use it for overland travels)
----------------

otiswesty

What about 1998-2000 models? (since you have one as it appears on you sig :D )
Is there an significant difference between pre 2000 models and after 2000 models?

One thing I have noticed is that 1998-2000 models still have a mechanical low range lever. (like old school cars) wheres the US made models (after 2002) have everything on buttons. Plus, navigation, ABS, ETC etc.
Did they totally change transfer case, or gearbox, axles etc?

otiswesty

Regular guy
otiswesty

What about 1998-2000 models? (since you have one as it appears on you sig :D )
Is there an significant difference between pre 2000 models and after 2000 models?

One thing I have noticed is that 1998-2000 models still have a mechanical low range lever. (like old school cars) wheres the US made models (after 2002) have everything on buttons. Plus, navigation, ABS, ETC etc.
Did they totally change transfer case, or gearbox, axles etc?

Mine is a Europa 1999 G500 manufactured in 1998. The later (2002+) models are easier to service and get parts for than the older ones. Newer ones have better brakes, ESP, and better HVAC. The older ones are a bit "simpler," your example of the mechanical transfer case shifter is one of the major differences. The V8 motor and 5 spd trans is essentially unchanged 1998-2005. Axles are the same as well. All 463 have ABS, mine has an ABS off button wired in. I think the fit and finish of the first couple model year G500 is the nicest, more so than the newer models. I have also owned a 2002 G500 for 4 years and a 460 series 300GD for 8 years, both long gone now.

The newer 2002+ trucks are easier to find, but less and less so with lower mileage and rust free. I sold my 2002 and bought the 1999 because it was cheaper, had lower mileage, and I still consider it to be a better, nicer vehicle.

I am getting my SWB G320 from the importer in a few weeks and have high expectations.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
My '03 G500 treated me very well, and it's doing the same to the current G-enthusiast. Definitely get a pre-purchase inspection, well worth the $150-300!

safariguy

Observer
My G500 is a USA V8 model. I purchased it about 18 months ago when it had 145,000 miles on it. I have made tons of preventive maintenance calls on it, mainly because I am a picky person, but I also like driving a vehicle and being confident about using it. Recently I replaced all 16 spark plugs, coils, wires and then all 8 fuel injectors. All because 1 fuel injector was stuck in the 'on' position. I absolutely love my G and am looking to spend a little more to buy a newer one. Maybe 2005-2006, but I may get a wild streak and go for a 2007.

I have to make a decision soon, as I need to decide whether to do some rust work in some of the areas where G's are known to have these issues.

The manufacturer bought back my vehicle from the original owner due to electrical problems. My understanding is that all of the places where there are 'logic boards', for lack of a better term, they replaced them. That means there were more than a dozen of them throughout the vehicle that were swapped out for 2005 ones. I need to go back through my original notes.

I bought my 2003 as a kind of test to see if I would like a G Wagen, and since I got mine for $23,000 it wasn't a huge investment. I have spent more than $10,000 on the vehicle since then, doing a little here and a little there. And I have added a roof rack, storage drawers, a completely new suspension, taller tires, a rear ladder and new running boards. So maybe all in all it's closer to $16,000 in upgrades and maintenance. I may sell it soon on this forum to help get me into a newer one.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
otiswesty

Thank you. Your info was helpful.

mk216v

I will defiantly get a pre purchase inspection.
I went through your thread. Man, you have built a nice truck!

safariguy
The ones I am looking for is around the same budget you had. I wish I could go a bit up... but I may consider up to $30.000. There are some good cars 2004-2006 around $40K but with that money one can buy a new Toyota TRD PRO. :D

areas where G's are known to have these issues.

What are those areas coul let me know please? I think I will have to crawl under a few cars :D

------------
Guys two more question about the size of tires and lift.

What is the most is recommend tire size for G? I mean the tires that don't put too much stress on the axles and same time are good enough for overland expeditions in US (including Alaska) and Canada (such as British Columbia and Newfoundland / Labrador)
I assume 2" would be good enough for an overland G.

Thank you all,
You saved me from buying Toyota :D

safariguy

Observer
otiswesty

Thank you. Your info was helpful.

mk216v

I will defiantly get a pre purchase inspection.
I went through your thread. Man, you have built a nice truck!

safariguy
The ones I am looking for is around the same budget you had. I wish I could go a bit up... but I may consider up to $30.000. There are some good cars 2004-2006 around $40K but with that money one can buy a new Toyota TRD PRO. :D

areas where G's are known to have these issues.

What are those areas coul let me know please? I think I will have to crawl under a few cars :D

------------
Guys two more question about the size of tires and lift.

What is the most is recommend tire size for G? I mean the tires that don't put too much stress on the axles and same time are good enough for overland expeditions in US (including Alaska) and Canada (such as British Columbia and Newfoundland / Labrador)
I assume 2" would be good enough for an overland G.

Thank you all,
You saved me from buying Toyota :D

Basically there are some welding spots at the bottom of the door openings. Super easy to locate. Those areas on every vehicle more than 10 years old, in my experience, have some sort of rust issues. MB makes a specific part that body shops can put in place to repair these areas. I just haven't done it on my vehicle. Yet. It has more to do with time without my vehicle, which I can rarely seem to schedule. I need my G all of the time. :)

Where are you based? I can get you up to speed on purchasing a G if you would like to chat on the phone. Happy to help out.

NYCRover

Observer
RUST, window regulators and corroded wiring have been my biggest enemies in a 2004 MBUSA W463

For a truck that has supposedly galvanized panels, I have seen way more body rust on G's than trucks of similar age in the same region. Also, i would note the undercarriage does not fare much better either. Common spots are rear quarter panel seams by the tail lights, side mirror stands (though they are aluminum), bottom seam on cargo door and what was mentioned above in the sills. I think the paint quality of these trucks is probably the biggest let down, which has caused most of the body rust issues.

RUN from any G from the rust belt as you will regret it. By the time you notice it, it has already likely rotted a lot below the paint. As Otiswesty said above, get as new of a G with the lowest mileage that your budget affords.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
safariguy

Basically there are some welding spots at the bottom of the door openings. Super easy to locate. Those areas on every vehicle more than 10 years old, in my experience, have some sort of rust issues. MB makes a specific part that body shops can put in place to repair these areas. I just haven't done it on my vehicle. Yet. It has more to do with time without my vehicle, which I can rarely seem to schedule. I need my G all of the time. :)

Where are you based? I can get you up to speed on purchasing a G if you would like to chat on the phone. Happy to help out.

Thank you!
I am based in Michigan. My grad school as is here, but I'll be going back to NYC in a year.
I will defiantly send you a PM when I'll be ready.
Right now I am in a searching and analyzing process. :D
--------------------

NYCRover

RUN from any G from the rust belt as you will regret it. By the time you notice it, it has already likely rotted a lot below the paint. As Otiswesty said above, get as new of a G with the lowest mileage that your budget affords.

Yes, actually everyone told me that. I'll be looking the cars located in south west parts of the US. CA, UT, NM, etc.
------------

Guys what is the difference between a G500 and G500 4MATIC?
Is it some kind of an advanced 4WD system that regular G500 does not have or it's just a trim.

I see the cars of the same year (2005-2006) but some of them are badged as G500 and some of them as GG500 4MATIC...

And which is better to be considered?

karo

Observer
4MATIC is a permanent 4wheel drive System which is not selectable. That means you have no choice to select to drive in 2wd or 4wd. The other models have the selectable system.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Don Raptor

Observer
All W463 G's (so every G since 2002 in the US...) has 4Matic. it's all wheel drive. 461's have a nice lever like the Wrangler

Malte

otiswesty

Regular guy
All W463 G's (so every G since 2002 in the US...) has 4Matic. it's all wheel drive. 461's have a nice lever like the Wrangler

Malte
All 460 series up to 1990 had manual 2WD/4WD selectable lever and manual hydraulic front and rear locker pulls, 461 up to 2000 had this as well. No all wheel drive open center diff available.
461 after 2000 is the same as 463 with electronic switches for all three lockers and low range, as well as full time 4wd (4-matic)
463 series from 1990 to 2000 have a manual transfer case lever rather than a electronic switch and also full time 4wd

Scott Brady

Founder
A little update on the G-Wagen. I have been prepping the truck for a complete repaint at Mastodon Motors in Colorado. It goes in for the full restoration respray in a few weeks. I cannot wait for that wrap to be gone (FYI, every experience we have had with a wrap has been a disaster).

Here is a shot from the last trail run
13502539_10154964384018275_4636385236239352233_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl