Overland Navigator

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Direction up map orientation is in the Overland Navigator Future Directions list. We'll do our best to accommodate both preferences.

Craig

Harald Hansen

Explorer
I hate "movement up" with a passion. It is far more natural for me to navigate on a "north up" map. I am not sure I can explain why, but there is something about the fact that I have to maintain a mental "north arrow" in addition to heading, bearing and the other stuff. When the map is "north up" it falls easier into place for me.

My GPS and computer displays I can configure as I want, but the game GTA: San Andreas, which I bought cheap and play a bit, has a "movement up" navigation aid on the main screen, and a regular "north up" map as reference. It is totally hopeless for me, as I glance at the big map to get my bearings, only to have the navigation aid rotate every which way as I travel...

craig

Overland Navigator map-packs for Florida and New England were released last week. Topographic map-packs are now available for all 48 of the lower US states.

overlander

Expedition Leader
I hate "movement up" with a passion. It is far more natural for me to navigate on a "north up" map. I am not sure I can explain why, but there is something about the fact that I have to maintain a mental "north arrow" in addition to heading, bearing and the other stuff. When the map is "north up" it falls easier into place for me.

My GPS and computer displays I can configure as I want, but the game GTA: San Andreas, which I bought cheap and play a bit, has a "movement up" navigation aid on the main screen, and a regular "north up" map as reference. It is totally hopeless for me, as I glance at the big map to get my bearings, only to have the navigation aid rotate every which way as I travel...

In the military, mounted orienteering, which is what we are doing, is always taught with orienting the map to your direction of travel, so that you can relate to the terrain around you with respect to your movement and field of view. Therefore, there will be many that would prefer movement up based on that training and experience, and thus, optimally, have both options in the software. I hate North up as a result of my experience (unless of course, I am traveling North!)

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Craig, are there any plans to port Overland Navigator to the iPad?

Craig,

Please count me as a 2nd person interested in an iPad version LOL.

I never did buy the PC version like I thought I would for my netbook since I already owned the Nat Geo Topo for Ca (hires version) and although probably not as nice as Overland Navigator, it has been sufficient for my needs so far.

Unfortunately nothing currently exist for my wifi iPad (I'd jailbreak it so I can use a bluetooth gps) and being so light, and a touchscreen, it would be an ideal platform for navigation.

TIA!!

DaveM

Explorer
Craig,

Please count me as a 2nd person interested in an iPad version LOL.

I never did buy the PC version like I thought I would for my netbook since I already owned the Nat Geo Topo for Ca (hires version) and although probably not as nice as Overland Navigator, it has been sufficient for my needs so far.

Unfortunately nothing currently exist for my wifi iPad (I'd jailbreak it so I can use a bluetooth gps) and being so light, and a touchscreen, it would be an ideal platform for navigation.

TIA!!

Can I 2nd myself? :D

Just want to re iterate my hope for this platform addition... everything I've seen and read about ON tells me the iPad would be ideal platform for it.

LandyAndy

Adventurer
Hi Craig,

Any plans yet to make Navigator compatable with the Canadian back road map book, maps.... am really getting tired of the tiny icons in Oziexplorer. Please...please make it work !

craig

Andy,

I want to do a major release of the software before I start looking into developing maps for Canada or Baja.

You might try contacting the company that sells the maps you are interested in and suggest that they make them available in a format that is compatible with Overland Navigator.

Craig

LandyAndy

Adventurer
Andy,

I want to do a major release of the software before I start looking into developing maps for Canada or Baja.

You might try contacting the company that sells the maps you are interested in and suggest that they make them available in a format that is compatible with Overland Navigator.

Craig

Hi Craig,

What would that need to be ? I already have the map sets for my area that I use with Ozi... would they work ?

Thanks,
Andy

craig

Hi Craig,

What would that need to be ? I already have the map sets for my area that I use with Ozi... would they work ?

Thanks,
Andy

Sorry Andy but the Ozi maps they sell aren't compatible.

Regards,
Craig

craig

Like Ozi, it's more involved than simple file format like tif or jpg. Their engineers can contact me directly if it is something they decide to support and I'll provide them the details.

Craig

Uglyduck

Adventurer
Can I 2nd myself? :D

Just want to re iterate my hope for this platform addition... everything I've seen and read about ON tells me the iPad would be ideal platform for it.

+3 on an iPad and Mac version. Consider me another willing beta tester too :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater